Ishrion
Topic Author

A Blast From The Past: American Airlines MD-80 Main Cabin Extra Omaha to Dallas/Fort Worth *Video Trip Report*

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:29 pm

Full Trip Report with Takeoff/Landing: https://youtu.be/juca_ZuwbZ0

Flying from Omaha to DFW in AA's MD-80. This may be one of my last chances to fly one.

Aircraft: McDonnell Douglas MD-80
Airline: American Airlines
Date: April 2019
Flight Time: 1 hour 22 minutes
To: Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Seat: 11F

Boarding the plane, the cabin is very old in comparison to AA's other mainline fleet. I remember flying on a different MD-80 about a year ago that had adjustable headrests at every economy seat. This one did not.

Looking at the seat, it was well padded and comfortable, especially with 34 inches of pitch.

After takeoff, I tried reclining my seat to see how it was... it was insane compared to AA's newer mainline seats. I don't know the exact amount though, but it felt like it reclined more than AA's Premium Economy product on their widebody fleets.

The flight attendants shortly came through the cabin and offered the standard Biscoff cookies & choice of drink.

Shortly we began our descent into DFW.

Thanks for reading/watching. It'll be a shame once these aircraft are retired. Truly comfortable cabins.

Previous Trip Reports:
American Airlines 737-800 Business Class Philadelphia to St. Maarten: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1420387
American Airlines 777-300 Business Class New York JFK to London: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1420789
American Eagle CRJ-900 First Class Philadelphia to Cincinnati:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1421299
American Airlines 767-300 Business Class Zurich to Philadelphia: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1422345
American Airlines 737-800 First Class Dallas/Fort Worth to Orange County:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1422417
American Eagle E-175 First Class Los Angeles to Omaha: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1423337
[/b]

American 767

Re: A Blast From The Past: American Airlines MD-80 Main Cabin Extra Omaha to Dallas/Fort Worth *Video Trip Report*

Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:57 am

Thank you for the trip report. I enjoyed watching the video. I haven't been on an MD-80 since 2014 so I was curious to see if the seats still had the old dark blue upholstery dating from the late 90s, and it seems that it does. The take off out of Omaha was impressive to watch, as the break out of the clouds during the climb was. Glad you enjoyed your flight and you had a chance to say one last good bye to her.
Ben Soriano

Ishrion
Topic Author

Re: A Blast From The Past: American Airlines MD-80 Main Cabin Extra Omaha to Dallas/Fort Worth *Video Trip Report*

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:31 am

American 767 wrote:
Thank you for the trip report. I enjoyed watching the video. I haven't been on an MD-80 since 2014 so I was curious to see if the seats still had the old dark blue upholstery dating from the late 90s, and it seems that it does. The take off out of Omaha was impressive to watch, as the break out of the clouds during the climb was. Glad you enjoyed your flight and you had a chance to say one last good bye to her.

Thanks! I'm hoping to fly one more time on one of the final MD-80 routes this September.

NC1844V

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:33 pm

Nice trip report and video. The Super-80's days are numbered so I'm glad you got to fly it.

Thanks for sharing
Steven

September11

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:33 am

Neat trip report
Airliners.net of the Future