N776AU
Topic Author

Usual Route With a Twist: ATL-IAD-ATL on Southwest

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:51 pm

N776AU flies to IAD. What else is new? How convenient it was that my family is there, and Bob Seger happened to be performing on a holiday weekend :bouncy: . My procrastination is kicking in. This was Memorial Day Saturday through Monday. It’s my dad who is the huge Bob Seger fanatic, and he ended up rounding up most of our family to go Saturday night, and offered to pay for my concert ticket if I took care of the rental car. No complaints from me.

Despite the fact that our flight was at 11:30, I made sure we all got to the airport very early, assuming it would be crazy busy. In some respects it was, and in other ways, it wasn’t. In any case, after getting my parents and their stuff loaded in my car, we were to the airport just before 8:00. Checking bags wasn’t too bad. We zipped right through that, but TSA was a long line (no surprise). Normally my Precheck would yield it for anyone else on my ticket as well, but my mother was on a separate ticket, as she was coming back later than my dad and I were. She didn’t get it, so we all stuck together and went through with the serfs.

I’m so glad my Priority Pass comes with 2 guests. We got away from the hustle and bustle out at The Club on concourse F, which came with its usual views, free food, and some nice time together, which we don’t always get a ton of.

Have I made enough of a wall of text? I don’t remember exactly what time we headed back toward concourse C, but we did maybe 90 minutes or so before the flight.
Our departure gate was C5, but we found some nice views down by C1, and it was quiet (relatively speaking) down there. I was keeping tabs on our inbound aircraft, so there was no worry about missing anything.
Views of departing aircraft are very good right here. N3734B was heading to SAP this morning.
Even on the cargo ramp, there was good stuff.
N687DL was blasting off to SJO.
HL7630 coming in after a long flight from Seoul. Love the look of the 747-8.

Our aircraft arrived from MDW at 10:30. Operating today was N7866A, another 737-700 with quite a history. After flying around Australia and Argentina, it finally made its way to Southwest.

Southwest Airlines Flight 4791
ATL-IAD
Depart ATL - 11:30am (was actually 11:27)
Arrive IAD - 1:15pm (was actually 12:58)
Boeing 737-700
N7866A

We got a trio of seats in row 7. N7864B was going to Indianapolis

We pushed more or less on time and taxied the long way down to runway 27R
https://youtu.be/af08fRyUKbQ
Takeoff was pretty weak, but hey, I added the ATC audio to the video. That helps, right?
It was a perfect day for flying.
Atlanta Motor Speedway came in to view as we made the series of left turns to point the nose the right direction.
All the way up the weather was perfect. Days like today make the window the best in flight entertainment around.
Charlotte from 39,000 feet. It was clear enough, you could see aircraft approaching Charlotte pretty well if you kept your eyes peeled and knew where to look.
Charlotte Motor Speedway. Two Nascar tracks on the same flight. I like it.
Right on time, we started down to IAD around 12:20. It got kind of rough as we got close to the airport. I’m not sure why, and I’m not complaining, but it seemed odd. There were no heavies in front of us, and no weather to speak of.
I don’t know what this building was, but it looked cool, so I took a photo.
Washington DC was visible in the distance.
And making our left turn for runway 1L.
https://youtu.be/pS2evg1aUcA
We landed parallel with a Lufthansa A330-300. I did my best to keep it in the frame of the video. It was pretty cool. Landing was pure butter.
Heading toward gate B64. There’s some metal I don’t see at home.
HL7204, some metal I do see at home.

After claiming our bags and getting the car, it was off to our family in Winchester/Stephens City.
Good to see the Metro station getting close after all those delays and billions of dollars later. It’s kind a long story why we went all the way that way to Winchester, only to come back to Jiffy Lube Live toward Washington later, but we did.
The Bob Seger concert was great. The venue was cool, but man does traffic suck leaving there. After the late night and a couple days with family, it was time for my dad and me to go home.

When I booked this flight, it was originally scheduled to be on a 737-MAX8, and I was quite excited for it. Dodged a bullet there. I’ve always been very passionate about being alive. Instead, it was changed to a regular 737-800, and then again to a 737-700.

Dulles is always a breeze when not flying United. We got a free meal on my Priority Pass at Chef Geoff’s at concourse C before making our way back to concourse B for our flight home.
I didn’t note what time the aircraft got in, but it came in all the way from Denver. Today was N490WN

Southwest Airlines Flight 4459
IAD-ATL
Depart IAD - 1:00pm (was actually 12:56)
Arrive ATL - 3:00 (was actually 2:28)
Boeing 737-700
N490WN

This guy recently got the new livery, I see. We sat in row 7 again, but this time nobody was sitting between us, and the flight wasn’t full, so it stayed that way. I prefer having an assigned seat, but I will say this for Southwest’s boarding process, it’s much more orderly than gate lice crowding the area and gumming up the works. From the first call of preboarding to pushback was only 26 minutes.
We pushed and pointed the nose toward the usual runway 30 departure. Given the time of day, I was figuring we would go sit in the penalty box and wait for slotting in Atlanta. To my surprise, we didn’t.
Avianca A319 landing on 19C while we waited in a bit of a line to takeoff.
United 787. I think it was going to NRT.
This was ultimately the final departure ahead of us of quite a few. I think this CRJ was also going to Atlanta.
https://youtu.be/LHHdzRoX4bM
Takeoff was nothing special, but once again, your boy took care of you and your entertainment value. Enjoy the ATC overlaid.
It wasn’t quite as nice as the Friday, but still a very good day to fly.
Hey look, food! Isn’t life exciting?
Asheville from 40,000 feet up. This flight was as routine as routine gets, and basically a carbon copy of all the other Dulles-Atlanta segments I’ve taken (which is quite a lot at this point)
Mall of Georgia and Buford as we descended.
I’m pretty good at knowing where I am in the air, even without external aid. This picture was an instance where I could have shouted the cliche “I CAN SEE MY HOUSE FROM HERE,” and I would have been telling the truth.
Stone Mountain in the distance.
I tried to grab a photo of the Whispering Pines fly in community, but I wasn’t quite in a position to get a good one.
And the right-on-time right turn just past I-20 in the Conyers-Lithonia area. If you aren’t familiar with ATL, the airport was landing from the east.
https://youtu.be/J5wj4L-2-wM
Who doesn’t love a long landing video? I have all 4 minutes worth in beautiful 4K (It’s for videos like this, I’m glad that I have a 2TB external hard drive).
Bringing it in on the south side to concourse C. Concourses E and F had some heavies already getting prepped for long trips back to Europe.
America’s favorite flying lemons over at concourse D.
Can’t remember where the CRJ-900 was going that was pulling out. N303DQ (exactly 364 days after carrying my happy ass home from Chicago) was doing a couple round trips to VPS this day.
We pulled in to gate C5, right where the trip started from. Next to us was N7729A, who was going to Washington Reagan (and check out the Mad Dog departing in the background).

I didn’t grab a picture of our aircraft leaving. The gate area was exceedingly crowded, and my dad wanted to get back home, and I can’t say that I blamed him. We both had to work Tuesday morning.

If you’re still reading this, bless you. I’m curious if this has happened to anyone else. I’m not sure if this is a Southwest issue, or an ATL issue (I tend to think Southwest, because it’s happened multiple times with them, but not with Delta). At baggage claim, more than once, I have been told a carousel to get my bags, only to have them be on another belt without anything or anyone telling us there was a change. It’s kind of frustrating.

So we both eventually got our suitcases and headed back to my car, eventually going our separate ways.

At this point I’m still a trip behind, and have another one in just a few days. Let’s see how long I can procrastinate those. It’s always good to fly, and always good to see Bob Seger perform. Hopefully my errors were minimal. I’ll tell you, I didn’t proofread this at all, so whatever happens happens. Thanks for reading :wave:
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

jasoncrh

Re: Usual Route With a Twist: ATL-IAD-ATL on Southwest

Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:10 pm

The United 787 you took a picture of at Dulles was going to Beijing most likely. NRT is a 777, PEK is a 787.

Clipper727

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:04 pm

The building you said looked cool is the Marine Corp Museum in Quantico VA. Wow! My first post after being a lurker for almost 18 years!

mchei

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:02 pm

Totally love how you write! Very nice report, thank you!
The 737-700 always looks funny. I flew it a couple of times with KLM from Amsterdam to Copenhagen.
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11