MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

AussieHolidays(4) - First time featuring FlyPelican on the site! Canberra-Newcastle BAe J32

Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:32 pm

Day 8
I woke up early, took a shower and put some things inside my baggage. The sun was just rising up so I walked to the bus stop, four blocks away from my hostel.
After a 30 minutes ride, I arrived to the CBR airport and went straight to the upper level where check in is located. Had to pay a penalty for overweight baggage.

Permanent exposition in the check in area.

Made my way through security and had breakfast airside. Meanwhile, I watched the aircrafts arriving and departing in the morning rush hour.

Dash 8 - QantasLink.

Boeing 717 - QantasLink.

The airlines flying in and out of CBR are Qantas, QantasLink, Tigerair and Virgin Australia. Lots of flights to and from SYD, BNE y MEL as well as regional flights operated by turboprops. Qatar Airways and Singapore Airlines fly into CBR too.

Boeing 737-800 - Qantas.

Another B717.

Boeing 737-800 - Virgin Australia.

ATR's and my Jetstream.

FlyPelican FP 311.
Monday April 08th 2019.
Canberra International Airport (CBR/YSCB): 08.25 [08.29]
Newcastle-Williamtown Airport (NTL/YWLM): 09.35 [09.27]
Distance: 370 km.
Flight Time: 58 minutes.

We were called for boarding through gate 3, went down the mechanic stairs and walked towards our aircraft..

VH-OTQ is a 1993-built British Aerospace Jetstream 32.

We were asked to leave our hand luggage to be acomodated due to lack of bins in the passenger cabin.

There is no service aboard. The copilot was who showed the safety card to the passengers seated in the emergency exit row and was the one who made the pre take off and pre landing announcements.

My seat, 6A.

Going to runway 35.

TAKE OFF VIDEO

Overflying Sydney at FL150.

New South Wales coastline.

Central Coast.

Already descending, Newcastle can be seen to the left.

LANDING VIDEO

Newcastle-Williamtown terminal buiding.

VH-OTQ baking under the australian sun.

Entering into the terminal. Jetstar, QantasLink, Virgin Australia and Regional Express fly in and out NTL besides FlyPelican.

Waiting for the luggage.

FLIGHT REPORT VIDEO

Once out of the airport, took a bus to the centre where my hostel was located.

Sunset.

That night I went to have a drink with a friend of mine. Everything closes quite early (in argentinean terms), we found by luck a bar run by an english guy who was celebrating somthing (don't remember exactly what) and he invited us a free round of beer which we obliged happily. :spin:

Day 9
Bogey Hole.

Beatiful coast.

Said goodbye to my friend who had to go to SYD to take a flight back home to Darwin. Went back to the beach but the weather wasn't that great.

Pacific Park.

Day 10
Once again it was time to leave so took a bus to the train station and then, off to Port Macquarie. Después de un viaje más largo de lo esperado, llegué a esta pintoresca ciudad.

Kooloonbung Creek Nature Park.

Historic Cemetery.

Day 11
That morning went to the Koala Hospital which is free. The task done by this people is amazing: they rescue injured koalas heridos and after an evaluation and giving them the care needed to recovery, they're send to their natural environment. Sadly, in many cases the wounds won't let this happen and the koalas stay at the hospital permanently. The animals pictured here are the ones which won't leave this place, the ones with high chances of returning back into the wilderness can't be seen by the visitors in order to reduce to the minimum the interaction with human beings.

Then, it was time to walk through the stunning beaches of Port Marquarie.

MY TRIP REPORTS

MY TRIP REPORTS

AussieHoliday(3): Boeing 717 to beautiful Canberra
AussieHolidays (Pt2) - QF28 | SCL-SYD: Flying the Queen across the South Pacific Ocean+Jervis Bay
AussieHolidays: Crossing the Andes with LATAM to catch a Roo (Pt1)
Now everyone can fly...delayed [Andes to Buenos Aires]
Flying a plane to get a train to the clouds: Aerolíneas Argentinas to Salta
Finishing 2018 on Andes' MD83 [Pics&Videos]
Amazing Argentina: Iguazú Falls, MD83 and first time featuring Andes Líneas Aéreas on the site!. [VIDEO+PHOTOS]
LATAM Argentina | Airbus 320-233 | Buenos Aires [AEP] - Tucumán [TUC]
LATAM Argentina | Airbus 320-233 | Tucumán [TUC] - Buenos Aires [AEP]
Crossing the Andes: Sky Airline A319 Buenos Aires-Ezeiza to Santiago and back!
Flight Report | Avianca Argentina | ATR 72-600 | Rosario [ROS] - Buenos Aires [AEP]
Avianca Argentina A07100 AEP-ROS [JUN232018] - Pic and Video Report
Flight&Video Report | Austral Líneas Aéreas | Embraer 190AR | Buenos Aires [AEP] - Rosario [ROS] - Buenos Aires [EZE]
Flown: B717 - B722 - B732 - B737 - B738 - B742 - B744 - B762 - B789 - MD82 - MD83 - MD11 - A306 - A320 - A321 - A319 - A330 - J32 - SF340 - ATR72-600

Cotsi

Re: AussieHolidays(4) - First time featuring FlyPelican on the site! Canberra-Newcastle BAe J32

Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:44 pm

Another great trip report. Newcastle is great place; it used to be mainly known for the steelwork industry and being a major port: its still is for the latter. I go up there fairly often to see various friends - always a good time to be had with great cafes/bar/pubs and it is close to the Hunter Valley wineries The Bar Beach area is really nice and there are plenty of good venues to meet up with friends there as well as in the harbour area. Sounds like you enjoyed Port Macquarie - the river walk is a good way to see the river and then walk around to the beaches. I have a few friends in Port and the Wauchope area - am well overdue for a visit. Seeing your photos has given me incentive to get my act together and go back up there. A lot of people from Sydney retire/relocate to the Port area as it is has all the facilities that you need and is only a 2.5 hours drive to Newcastle or 4 hours to Sydney. Look forward to your next instalment.

debonair

Re: AussieHolidays(4) - First time featuring FlyPelican on the site! Canberra-Newcastle BAe J32

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:03 pm

Always great to read from such exotic airlines...

Kent350787

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:06 am

It's interesting to note that the flight path from CBR appears to pass over SYD before hugging the coastline.

You wouldn't know fomr your scenic shots, but Newcastle is the largest coal export port in the world, and has been a significant port (for Australia) since the mid-1800s. A cityrebuilding aftr the death of the steel industry, and well worth a visit. It will be interesting to see whether Williamtown becomes an international airport once agin, having formerly had NZ flights direct.

MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:49 am

Cotsi wrote:
Another great trip report. Newcastle is great place; it used to be mainly known for the steelwork industry and being a major port: its still is for the latter. I go up there fairly often to see various friends - always a good time to be had with great cafes/bar/pubs and it is close to the Hunter Valley wineries The Bar Beach area is really nice and there are plenty of good venues to meet up with friends there as well as in the harbour area. Sounds like you enjoyed Port Macquarie - the river walk is a good way to see the river and then walk around to the beaches. I have a few friends in Port and the Wauchope area - am well overdue for a visit. Seeing your photos has given me incentive to get my act together and go back up there. A lot of people from Sydney retire/relocate to the Port area as it is has all the facilities that you need and is only a 2.5 hours drive to Newcastle or 4 hours to Sydney. Look forward to your next instalment.

Thank you very much Cotsi!
I had a great time there, I can't think of a single thing I didn't like about Newcastle and Port Macquarie (well, maybe the hostel but that's another tale). Got to Wauchope with the train and then took the bus all the way to PM. Great experience as I also enjoy very much travelling by train. It was a short stay at both cities, maybe next time I'll spend more enjoying the beaches and the nature as well.
Flown: B717 - B722 - B732 - B737 - B738 - B742 - B744 - B762 - B789 - MD82 - MD83 - MD11 - A306 - A320 - A321 - A319 - A330 - J32 - SF340 - ATR72-600

MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:49 am

debonair wrote:
Always great to read from such exotic airlines...

Thank you debonair. My pleasure flying them and sharing my reports with you people.

MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:51 am

Kent350787 wrote:
It's interesting to note that the flight path from CBR appears to pass over SYD before hugging the coastline.

You wouldn't know fomr your scenic shots, but Newcastle is the largest coal export port in the world, and has been a significant port (for Australia) since the mid-1800s. A cityrebuilding aftr the death of the steel industry, and well worth a visit. It will be interesting to see whether Williamtown becomes an international airport once agin, having formerly had NZ flights direct.

Right! I didn't know about Newcastle's industrial history until a local share that information with me. Thanks for your comment.

Max Q

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:46 am

Nice report

Interesting to see the flaps go to the ‘lift dump’ position after landing

A peculiarly British design feature also incorporated on the BAE 125
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:15 pm

Max Q wrote:
Nice report

Interesting to see the flaps go to the ‘lift dump’ position after landing

A peculiarly British design feature also incorporated on the BAE 125

Didn't know that!. Thanks for clarifying.

RyanairGuru

Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:01 am

Thank you for this trip report! I have been thinking of trying FlyPelican for a while haha. My one and only trip report on this forum was about Brindabella Airlines, an associated airline that was grounded by CASA, flying on the Swearingen Metro. That was an experience! While it's a short flight with no flight attendant, I was surprised that Pelican didn't have any service at all. On Brindabella we were given a snack box by the first officer when we boarded that had a bottle of water and some snacks. I'd assumed that service on Pelican would be similar.

I absolutely love Newcastle, it's a city that has transformed itself after some tough times with the decline of the steel industry. It's a great lifestyle city, with beautiful beaches on your doorstep, some really good bars and micro-brews, the Hunter Valley etc. I have bene up to Port Mac yet, I should go there some time.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:41 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
Thank you for this trip report! I have been thinking of trying FlyPelican for a while haha. My one and only trip report on this forum was about Brindabella Airlines, an associated airline that was grounded by CASA, flying on the Swearingen Metro. That was an experience! While it's a short flight with no flight attendant, I was surprised that Pelican didn't have any service at all. On Brindabella we were given a snack box by the first officer when we boarded that had a bottle of water and some snacks. I'd assumed that service on Pelican would be similar.

I absolutely love Newcastle, it's a city that has transformed itself after some tough times with the decline of the steel industry. It's a great lifestyle city, with beautiful beaches on your doorstep, some really good bars and micro-brews, the Hunter Valley etc. I have bene up to Port Mac yet, I should go there some time.

You def need to try FlyPelican!. When I was planning my trip I've found out about this route which suited perfectly my itinerary and allowed me to log a new aircraft type. Thanks for your comment!

globalflyer

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:58 pm

What a fantastic report. Love the pictures. And love the rare airline.
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:44 am

globalflyer wrote:
What a fantastic report. Love the pictures. And love the rare airline.

Thanks for your nice comment, globalflyer! Glad you´ve enjoyed it.