ghYHZ
Topic Author

Porter for the View…..and Convenience too!!

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:14 pm

A buddy said ‘come on up for a Jay’s Game’. I could fly Air Canada or Westjet from YHZ Halifax Stanfield to YYZ Toronto Pearson but I was heading downtown so my best option was Porter Airlines to YTZ Billy Bishop/Toronto City Airport and the convenience of just walking from the airport to the condo where I would be staying along the Harbourfront……and from there just a 10 minute walk to the Blue Jay’s game.

I was dropped off at YHZ with only a short wait for my flight so I grabbed a chair to watch some of the activity out on the ramp…..a United A319 just in from EWR, a Westjet ‘737 for Toronto and my Porter Q400 which had just arrived.

Porter flies the Bombardier Q400 exclusively on routes in eastern Canada and to US as far south as Myrtle Beach & Melbourne FL. They enjoy a niche following for their excellent service which includes complementary beer, wine, drinks and snacks for all. (note the Porter logo on a ‘real’ glass) Todays flight was full.

And that View! It’s hard to beat the approach into YTZ along Lake Ontario and Toronto Harbourfront with the CN Tower and Rogers Centre below where I would be watching the Blue Jays. (they played the Arizona Diamondbacks: I saw 3 games and 3 loses for the Jays :( )

Returning home……it was just a 15-minute walk on a nice sunny early morning along the Toronto Harbourfront to the landside drop-off for Billy Bishop Airport. Here you have the option of a 90 second ferry ride across the harbour entrance or you can take an elevator down to the pedestrian tunnel over to the airport. The ferry happened to be on the opposite side so I just continued walking……

Arriving at the top of the escalators on the airport side you are greeted by a replica overhead of WWI flying ace Billy Bishop’s aircraft.

No lineups at security and again the convenience of Porter and YTZ…..in less than a half-hour from leaving the condo….I’m sitting at the gate and enjoying my morning coffee.

The gates at YTZ are set up exclusively for the Q400s with a canopy that will drop down over the door and steps during inclement weather (but not this morning!)

We took off towards the west then looped over the Toronto Islands before heading to Ottawa for a brief stop.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/POE ... /CYTZ/CYOW

Departure from Ottawa was over downtown and Parliament Hill

Continuing onto Halifax I was offered a complementary beer but it was still a bit early so I settled for a Sprite. Nearly a third of the flight between YOW and YHZ was spent in US airspace….briefly touching northern New Hampshire….then about 200 miles across Maine before starting down over the Bay of Fundy and on into Halifax arriving back at Gate 12 from where we had left.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/POE ... /CYOW/CYHZ

A quick walk through the terminal and I was waiting for my drive home.

SaschaYHZ

Re: Porter for the View…..and Convenience too!!

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:05 pm

Always love flying into YTZ...I've usually tacked on a day trip into Montreal as I've only flown AC. I'd love to try Porter some day...thanks for the report and great pics!

(edited for repetition)

MartijnNL

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:21 pm

This must have been a fun trip. Nothing beats walking to and from an airport in beautiful weather. Nice rocking chair in Halifax by the way. And a great route map in the magazine of Porter.

My father and I visited Billy Bishop Airport for the first time in September 2018. We both loved the convenience of this small airport, and the free drinks in the terminal.

We could have flown nonstop from Amsterdam to Pearson airport on Air Canada or KLM. But because we are aviation enthusiasts, we travelled Amsterdam - Zurich - Montreal - Toronto YTZ - Montreal - Frankfurt - Amsterdam on Swiss, Air Canada Express and Lufthansa.

EL-AL

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:22 am

Thx for the well made report, Porter and YTZ still miss in my log, hopefully next time I'm in Canada
every day is a good day to fly

alecdplotkin

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:58 pm

Surprised Porter has not added PHL, I bet it would generate business.