kriskarch
Topic Author

[VIDEO ONLY] KLM 787-9 | AMS - PTY | ECONOMY cabin

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:09 pm

Hi guys,

last month I had opportunity to try KLM's economy service on flight from Amsterdam Schiphol to Panama City Tocumen International Airport. This flight was operated by Boeing 787-9.

Please follow the link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=263bg8Vy2Cg

And here is my detailed description:

1. Getting to Amsterdam Schiphol

I got to Amsterdam from Berlin on KLM's Boeing 737-700. As soon as we boarded the plane in Berlin, we got informed that we missed our approach slot in Amsterdam, wchich was really busy that morning, so we had to wait 50 minutes on the ground. My connection time was originally 1 hour and 30 minutes, so I still got some time to make it, with a bit of luck!

While we was waiting, the captain got out of the cockpit and walked through the whole cabin, answearing all the questions about the delay, missing connections and flight itself. That was something unexpected! I tried my luck and asked if I can come and check the cockpit and few minutes later we were sitting in front of the panels and chatting about aviation :)

2. Check-in

I checked my bags in Berlin, so luckily there were no lines for personal control and I went through it in couple of minutes. I was one of the last passengers boarding this beautiful 787.

3. Boarding

The cabin was almost full. I even checked the app 40 minutes before the flight to check if I could make some seat swap to have more comfort and the economy cabin was full. I had an option to upgrade my class to Business for EUR 600, which was a good deal, but I already planned my holiday budget and it was tight.

4. Departure

Before taking off, we were informed about turbulence risk until passing London, so we were asked to seat during first 45 minutes of the flight. Even cabin crew were not allowed to move, so I guess something bigger was expected! Luckily it was just a little bit bumpy.

5. Comfort, food and in-flight service

I didn't expect anything special from Economy cabin. Legroom was enough for me (I am 182 cm tall), but in my opinion the seats were a little bit more squeezed than in Air France's 787.
Moveable headrest were really comfortable and I could avoid neck pain after short naps.

We were served two bigger meals:
- sweat and sour chicken with rice, veggies and salad (plus crackers, cheddar, butter, roll and lemon pie)
- mini pizza with salad and creamy coconut dessert
Both meals were really tasty! I have to admit that food is one of my favourite parts of the long haul flights :)
We also got some water, ice-cream and refreshing towels.

6. IFE and Wi-Fi

The IFE screen is big and works great! The variety of movies, series and music is huge. I spent 20 minutes just on choosing movie (and fell asleep after 5 minutes of watching...).
787 is equipped with Wi-Fi router on board, but it didn't work very well. However, you can use it for free just for texting.

7. Overall

I always wanted to fly long haul with KLM and finally, that was my first time. I flew with Air France many times and as it is practically one company, I expected the same level of service. However, I would rate Air France just a little bit higher in the rank. I love both services, but as I wrote earlier, I felt little bit more space in Air France's 787.

But still, I can't wait to try KLM's 747 and 777. 777-300 was actually planned to operate this route first!

Thank you for your time, feel free to comment if you have any questions.

Kris
Last edited by atcsundevil on Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited in accordance with forum rules