Full Trip Report with Landing/Takeoff: https://youtu.be/YOm5CKuMj_E
I got the opportunity to try out AA's new A321neo in first class from Phoenix to Anchorage. At this moment, it's the longest A321neo route in the network but will be taken over by PHX-Hawaii soon.
Aircraft: Airbus A321neo/A321NX
Airline: American Airlines
Date: Late June 2019
Flight Time: 5 hours 27 minutes
From: Phoenix Sky Harbor International (PHX)
To: Anchorage Ted Stevens Airport (ANC)
- We had a small 45 minute delay due to a last minute aircraft swap. Our original neo(N402AN) was supposed to come from DFW but ended up having a 3 hour delay over there, presumably due to mechanical issues(or mechanics lawsuit).
- This led to our flight getting switched to the inbound MCO-PHX neo, which resulted in the small delay.
- The first class seats are arranged in a 2-2 configuration, with about 37 inches of pitch at every seat.
- As many know, AA opted for tablet holders instead of seatback IFE... I didn't really use it on this flight as I fell asleep after meal service.
- We were given a pre-departure beverage of choice.
- REALLY funny thing that kind of surprised me - when starting the safety announcement, one of the FAs announced, "Please direct your attention to the monitors for our safety video". Then a few seconds after realizing, she said to herself, "oops, I forgot we don't have TVs on this plane". Thanks AA.
- The takeoff really surprised me. The new engines are really quiet compared to the older generations. Takeoff's in the video.
- Meal service was served 30 minutes after takeoff. It started with some nuts and a hot towel.
- Meal choice was between a beef short rib or southwest pasta. I chose the rib.
- This came with a salad and some sort of egg salad. The rib was accompanied by some broccolini and mashed potatoes.
- I've had AA's short rib twice before. One on a 777-300 from JFK-LHR in J(you can check it out in the links below) and one time in AA's 787-9 in J from LAX-HND this past month(upcoming trip report for that as well).
- Out of the three, this was by far probably the BEST airplane meal I've had. The rib was outstanding and juicy. Full meal is in the video.
- After that meal was cleared, we were offered ice cream for desert. Tasted great as always.
- And, as noted in the title, I noticed WiFi was free for everyone for some reason. Other passengers were able to connect without paying. This was very likely a mistake on AA's part. Except... I got free WiFi on my way back from ANC-PHX in Economy. Anyone know what happened? However, it was extremely slow for ViaSat...
- Slept for about 3 hours, then woke up over Alaska. Amazing views of the snow-capped mountains.
- Really interesting thing that I never knew - as we went north, it got brighter. When we landed in ANC, it was already brighter than Phoenix. Our landing time was around 12:30 a.m. and it wasn't pitch-black at all.
So overall, this was an outstanding flight, given the free WiFi and amazing meal.
The seat was decently comfortable but still spacious given AA's reduction in legroom.
I personally don't support AA's move in removing IFEs, and tablet holders are only a slight upgrade from having to hold your device.
Next up will be AA's A321neo from Anchorage to Phoenix in Economy!
Thanks for reading/watching. Please leave any feedback or questions you may have. Previous Trip Reports: American Airlines 737-800 Business Class Philadelphia to St. Maarten: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1420387
American Airlines 777-300 Business Class New York JFK to London: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1420789
American Eagle CRJ-900 First Class Philadelphia to Cincinnati: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1421299 American Airlines 767-300 Business Class Zurich to Philadelphia: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1422345
American Airlines 737-800 First Class Dallas/Fort Worth to Orange County: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1422417
American Eagle E-175 First Class Los Angeles to Omaha: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1423337
American Airlines MD-80 Main Cabin Extra Omaha to Dallas/Fort Worth[/b]: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1424695