Danielator36
Topic Author

IND to IAH | First time on a CRJ-200 (Video and some pictures included)

Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:57 am

Basic Info:
Date: June 6, 2019
Aircraft: CRJ-200
Airline: United Express (operated by SkyWest)
Route: KIND-KIAH
Flight: SkyWest 5434 https://bit.ly/2Xc0zs8
Video Link:https://youtu.be/HeXZjN93FnU
(Many of the pictures included here are snapshots from the video which I felt were relevant, therefore they may be slightly blurry)

I got to the Indianapolis Airport at ~1 PM, several hours before my flight, as I was checking various bags for my flight to Chile (Where I was moving to).
After checking my bags for the journey, I checked FlightAware for the status of my flight. The SkyWest CRJ-200 I was set to fly on had previously flown from the Houghton County Memorial Airport in Michigan (an EAS airport) to Chicago's O'Hare. At the time I checked it's status, it was on it's way from O'hare to Indianapolis. Unfortunately, it was set to land 6 minutes after my flight was supposed to take off, which foreshadowed the upcoming 'your flight has been delayed' notification from United a few minutes later.

I went through TSA in terminal A in the Indianapolis Airport. If you've never been to IND, it's a really nice facility. Built in 2008, and spectacularly maintained. The TSA line took about 10 minutes, surprisingly long from my previous experiences at IND.

I quickly walked down to reach gate A21, which was at the end of the terminal. At 5:18 PM, earlier than FlightAware had expected, the aircraft taxied in, and the passengers from Chicago deplaned promptly. Almost exactly 20 minutes after the plane taxied in, I was able to board. Due to the limited carry-on capacity, I had to have my carry-on gate checked. Previous to this flight, I had never been on a CRJ-200 in my lifetime that I can remember (I may have gone on one as a toddler), so I was quite excited. Having lived in a small city that unfortunately hasn't had air service since I was a few months old, I've always held a soft place in my heart for small planes like these, as I associate them with small airports, which I love. Of course, the tiny size was noticeable, but I didn't have very high expectations for a plane designed for short routes.

I had seat 10A, a window seat on the left side of the aircraft near the back. I was immediately shocked by how low the windows were. I've flown on an ERJ-145 before, and don't remember this being an issue at all. However, on the CRJ-200, it was extremely uncomfortable to look out the window. Although I wasn't able to see outside very well, I was able to record and get some great views on my phone.

We taxied an took off from runway 5R at 6:13 PM, just under an hour late. As always, takeoff provided a great view of Indianapolis, and I was briefly able to see the outline of the old terminal (demolished in 2013).

The view for most of the flight were clouds, and there wasn't any turbulence, making for a pretty standard flight. This particular aircraft didn't have WiFi onboard, which is understandable for the short hops it usually makes, but it made for a pretty boring nearly 3 hours to Houston.

The snack given was the generic beverage (I got water) and the tiny bag of mini pretzels. Being a teenager, I got hungry again 15 minutes after the snack. Thankfully, I'm young enough that I can buy things like the 'Kid's Snackbox' without flight attendants caring, which I did.

Eventually, we were below the clouds and approaching runway 26R. After flying over Lake Houston and some industrial areas, we landed and taxied for about 15 minutes until we reached Gate B6, where we deplaned onto ground level.

After that, I followed the terminal maps to find my flight to Santiago, Chile, which I plan to make another Trip Report video and Post about within the next week.

If you have any comments or questions, feel free to reply, Thanks for reading!

Bobloblaw

Re: IND to IAH | First time on a CRJ-200 (Video and some pictures included)

Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:41 am

Crj from Indy to IAH. That is pathetic United. Maybe this will be one of the CRJ-550 routes

September11

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:25 am

IND facility looks nice
Airliners.net of the Future

zackary747

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:37 am

Bobloblaw wrote:
Crj from Indy to IAH. That is pathetic United. Maybe this will be one of the CRJ-550 routes

I agree. That route can easily handle bigger aircraft more often.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr

Danielator36
Topic Author

Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:24 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:

Yeah, as excited as I was to fly on one, it doesn't make much sense to use them for flights that long.

Danielator36
Topic Author

Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:26 pm

September11 wrote:
IND facility looks nice

It really is, it not only was built fairly recently but has also been maintained really well.

Super80Fan

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:10 am

Cool report. Agree it's weird to see the CRJ-200 on this route, especially since many of the United Express routes out of IAH are on ExpressJet ERJ-145's.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

LAXdude1023

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:42 pm

UA flies IND-IAH 4x daily. There is 1x ERJ-175 and 3x small RJs. Yeah, thats pretty pathetic.
Religion is the root of evil...