Topic Author

Houston to Santiago, Chile on a United 767-300ER *Video Included*

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:40 am

Basic Info
Date: June 6-7, 2019
Aircraft: 767-300ER
Airline: United Airlines
Route: KIAH-SCEL
Flight: United 847 ( https://bit.ly/2JznCrX )
Video Link: https://youtu.be/JYFqHkf1sIc
(I only have the one picture to put on here, but the video has a lot of footage of the amazing views)

At 8:40 PM on June 6, 2019, I stepped off of the CRJ-200 which I had taken from Indianapolis to Houston. Next stop: Santiago. After getting a snack and making my way to the gate, we boarded. I didn't have much time to sit around at IAH, but it seemed pretty nice. Boarding was really quick, just a scan of my ticket and passport.

I was seated in seat 27L, a seat with a good view of the right side wing. I personally love seats where half of your view is the wing, and the other half is whatever's below. This seat had just that view, and I chose the right side of the plane for the best view on approach to Santiago.

We taxied and took off from Runway 15L, and had a cool view of all the Houston lights. Due to it being night, there was absolutely nothing to see after a few minutes, and there wouldn't be for many hours (It's winter here in Chile, so the sun rises much later than it would in the Northern Hemisphere).

1 hour or so after takeoff, the dinner was handed out. Nothing exciting, just the normal Chicken, salad, bread, crackers, and cheese. What was slightly exciting was an extra beverage and mango-flavored ice cream which was given about half an hour after dinner. The ice cream was honestly really good, a pleasant surprise.

After the food, I started to realize how terribly uncomfortable the seats are. Usually, on overnight flights, I'm able to sleep for at least a few hours, but for some reason, I just couldn't find any comfortable position on this flight. I'm honestly not sure why, but I just couldn't no matter how hard I tried. And due to it being night, there wasn't much for me to see out of the window. I ended up spending most of the flight watching the few episodes of 'The Office' available onboard.

By 7 AM, the sun was just barely starting to rise. Breakfast was also served around this time. Breakfast, like the ice cream, was also really really good. However, It was just a croissant and yogurt, so there's not really any way to screw that up.

The last couple hours of the flight are by far the best part. The sun was rising just as I looked out on the Chilean Coast, full of hills/mountains (due to me sitting on the right side). This made for an absolutely amazing view.

If I had been seated on the left, the view would've been of the Andes Mountains (which I'm sure is just as great of a view).

An hour after the sun began to rise, we touched down in Santiago, on Runway 1L. While taxiing to our gate, I was able to see the construction at the airport. They're building 4 massive new international terminals, as the current airport (built in the 90s, renovated about a decade later) has proven way too small for a country with a tourism industry like Chile's. We got to our gate, deboarded, and as a Chilean, I was able to go really quickly through immigration, and then was greeted by the massive Customs line. Chile's customs is extremely strict with agricultural products, so naturally, it takes longer, but we also got caught with the rush of all the flights coming from North America.
Overall, it was an OK flight. Uncomfortable, but the great views definitely made it worth it.

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to respond
Last edited by qf789 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: title changed at request of thread starter