Junglejames
Topic Author

BA Singapore to Heathrow, World Traveller

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:43 am

So, I wouldn't normally do this, but considering the amount of BA bashing that goes on, on here, I thought a bit of perspective.

Easy check in, and easy boarding. Basically straight through onto aircraft as soon as security cleared. Straight onto the promise of the greatest aircraft known to passengers.
So, right hand fork, assuring the woman I knew I was upper deck.
Onto the upper deck of a BA A380 to be met by cheerful staff only to willing to have a laugh and joke.
Straight to the rear of the aircraft, and seat 83B. No need to worry about people sitting behind me.
Staff cheerful no matter who you met. Helping people whenever they could.
Sat down in a comfortable seat as far as economy class goes. I haven't come across an economy seat which is better. Well ok I lie. Air France A340.
Good enough legroom for over 6' and long legs, and a lovely cubby hole if by the window. Those with no economy class on the upper deck are missing a trick.
Entertainment hardly any worse than other airlines. Good choice and pretty good screen.
Perhaps Singapore Airlines better.
Take off, and the obvious benefit of a decent plane. Where's the noise? Those airlines without A380s are straight away worse!!

So the service commences. Drink services galore come round. Water, juice, alcohol. Drink your hearts out.
So I finish my water real quick. "Oh, let me top that up for you".
Woman next to me served two G+Ts.

Food. No worse than other airlines. In fact, better than most.

Now considering we keep hearing about so called worse service, the next bit may surprise you. The whole trip, a constant supply of snacks, tea, coffee, juice and water available. I could have put on weight. Well ok, but you get the picture.
No shortage of biscuits and chocolate. Top ups of tea no trouble. I was always needing the toilet.

Some of the friendliest staff you could hope for. Always willing to chat. Always a smile on their face. Chatted about places been and places going. One of the crew comes from nearby where I'm off to in a few days, and we had a lovely chat about the place. Location can remain unnamed.

Still, the silence is golden, apart from a few children, and after another film or two, breakfast is served. Not as good as dinner, but acceptable. Although admittedly we should be aiming higher than that.

Just over 13hrs of a quiet comfortable friendly flight, Heathrow arrived. All the crew I had come into contact with were only too eager to say goodbye, and have a final chat. One of them helping a mother with 3 children and plenty if baggage off the aircraft, all with a smile and a joke.
I again seriously mentioned '5 star service' As I passed (I had done so during the flight). They are too modest in what they do. Seems as though passengers have made the crew themselves believe they are bettered by other airlines. Oh no. If Emirates are 5 star (which they arent) then BA are at least the same. An aircraft that may look a tiny bit smarter, and a hot towel before dinner, doesn't make them any better overall.
The basics are perfected at BA, and I made sure they knew it.

Saw two of the pilots outside the aircraft and they were thankful as I thanked them for a comfortable flight. I'm sure they are far too modest as to what they do during the flight.

Just leaving customs and see one of the crew again. Recognised me and again said goodbye. That's what I call service.

Now no doubt some will say this is a one off, but from my experience it isn't.

Ok being on the greatest aircraft helps, and some may find themselves on unrefurbished aircraft, but the unrefurbished ones are slowly but surely getting a makeover or being replaced.

Low cost carrier? Ha, not a chance. My joint favourite airline along with Singapore Airlines (I wonder if the layout of the 777s says anything?!!!) Assuming I'm just taking economy into account.
Business Class, and it is probably Air New Zealand (Upper Class).

Congrats BA. You know how to run a service. Just tell Willie Walsh he was wrong not to pay what Airbus wanted for more A380s.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

GrandSlam

Re: BA Singapore to Heathrow, World Traveller

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:26 pm

BA, when they’re good, they are very good. However they do have a history of indifference in service which wasn’t very good in the 70s and 80s. British and European charter carriers were far superior and BCAL were considered a class act. A hangover from the era of BOAC and BEA before merger, when the former was always considered the superior quality carrier and BEA the lesser one? Maybe a product of the then British class system in its dying days? It takes time to improve and for inbred attitudes to change. It was pleasing to read your report about caring and chatty staff and when you fly BA next time I hope you experience the same again.
What has always amazed me is the constant poor reputation of the North American carriers or am I being unfair? Almost anywhere else in the world airlines strive to provide good service with staff who seem to care for its passengers. Having said that Delta appear to have improved somewhat with United not far behind based on contributors reports here and on others aviation sites but maybe I’m wrong. My most recent flights have been with Norwegian and the service has always been very good.

Junglejames
Topic Author

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:07 am

GrandSlam wrote:
BA, when they’re good, they are very good. However they do have a history of indifference in service which wasn’t very good in the 70s and 80s. British and European charter carriers were far superior and BCAL were considered a class act. A hangover from the era of BOAC and BEA before merger, when the former was always considered the superior quality carrier and BEA the lesser one? Maybe a product of the then British class system in its dying days? It takes time to improve and for inbred attitudes to change. It was pleasing to read your report about caring and chatty staff and when you fly BA next time I hope you experience the same again.
What has always amazed me is the constant poor reputation of the North American carriers or am I being unfair? Almost anywhere else in the world airlines strive to provide good service with staff who seem to care for its passengers. Having said that Delta appear to have improved somewhat with United not far behind based on contributors reports here and on others aviation sites but maybe I’m wrong. My most recent flights have been with Norwegian and the service has always been very good.
Oh my flights with BA are nearly always the same. Food on a par with all other airlines at the least. Offerings on a par or better.
These so called cuts we keep hearing of? Where? Long haul they don't exist. Hint- You are all sleeping so don't see this stuff you claim has been cut!

At the end of the day, in economy most airlines are pretty much on a par with each other, and BA are without doubt, towards the top of that list.
I've heard in the past how the ME airlines are a cut above. I've heard how Qatar apparently have the most comfortable economy class.
It's all rubbish.
Singapore Airlines are probably about the only ones that stand above the rest, but even they fall behind BA in one respect- The ease with which you can talk to the crew.

How many airlines now don't serve alcohol?
I don't drink, but I accept some do. So do BA.

Now there is a very simple trick for getting service that stands out on BA (above and beyond what you find on other airlines). Treat the staff like you would a friend. This goes hand in hand with the comment about the ease with which you can talk to the crew.
Are you sitting there all bored, with everybody else sleeping? Hint- Go back to the galley and strike a convo. I do. One previous time the crew started making a cuppa for themselves.
"We are just making a fresh pot for ourselves, you having one? We have fresh milk".
In comparison, most other airlines look at me as if I'm stupid when I ask for any sort of milk. A plane with no milk? Far too many of them.

Now have a laugh and a joke. Act like you've known them for years.
Example. One crew member offers to share the chocolate biscuits with another. "I only want one. You have the other".
But turns out none of them want the second biscuit in the pack, and it is left sitting in between them. So I swoop in and take it!

It works, and you get an airline that raises itself above the parapet.

If you want an airline within the IAG group that are not very good. Suggest Iberia are looked at.
Now they are the airline that let the group down.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BrooklyBOMgal

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:02 am

Point taken. BA is the bestest airline ever.