N776AU
Topic Author

Bob Seger in Detroit ATL-DTW-ATL on Delta

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:35 pm

Ok, enough procrastination. I’m good at delaying trip reports, and I’m running out of time before I have to go back to work. This trip was super fast. We were in Detroit for less than 24 hours across June 21 and June 22. This was originally supposed to be Bob Seger’s final, final show. He ended up adding some more dates, so I would guess there’s another trip report in my future attending another concert.

After getting my dad and his stuff, we got to the airport around 7am. Unfortunately, he was on a separate ticket, so he didn’t get a chance to latch on with my TSA Precheck. To put it lightly, the domestic side of TSA was bursting at the seams, Since we were heading to concourse F anyway to go to The Club, we grabbed the international shuttle and went through security there.

We didn’t have a ton of time before we had to head back to concourse A for our flight.
Waiting for us at gate A12 was N692DL, which had just operated an early-morning flight from Orlando.

Delta Air Lines Flight 95
ATL-DTW
Depart ATL - 9:47am (was actually 9:44)
Arrive DTW - 11:40am (was actually 11:27)
Boeing 757-200
N692DL

I was in 34A back in Peasantville. Next to us was the first 757 I ever flew. N674DL today was going to Orlando. Way back in 1997, it took me to IAD. 757s to IAD, man those were the days. Also featuring an MD-88 taking off from 26L.
Hey look, it’s N685DA, my online everything. He was going to St. Thomas this morning.
Not sure where this MD-88 came from, but hey, here he is.
Everyone’s favorite lemons, arriving from all places, Detroit.
N829DN leaving 26L for ABQ.
N920DE leaving for St. Louis.
N592NW left right in front of us for Los Angeles
https://youtu.be/nABsMXKxrnw
Takeoff was very un-757, which was a damn shame.
It was a very nice day.
Dobbins
Flight was totally full.
There were some clouds, but this is Huntington, West Virginia.
While in the clouds, I did what any true American would do, watch The Price is Right.
Crossing over Lake Erie. Detroit was landing from the south. That’s an approach I haven’t made in a very long time.
It was even nicer in Detroit.
https://youtu.be/q2GwAtJKXJo
We slammed her down on runway 3R. I mean, it wasn’t United 757 at Newark hard or anything, though.
N683DA was coming in from Minneapolis.
We parked it at gate A64. N689DL was loading up for Orlando.

We didn’t have any luggage to claim. With the concert running so late, and our flight home so early, I put us up at the Westin right there for the sake of convenience.
I would have opted for a tarmac view if we were spending more time there, but since all our time there would be after dark, there wasn’t much a point. It was a really great hotel.
Lunch on the way up. Mmmmm.
We got to DTE Energy way early.
Really great show. The crowd was really in to it. I know it would have been closer to fly to Flint, but Detroit was significantly cheaper, so after the concert we dropped the rental car back to DTW and took the shuttle back to the hotel.
Walking back in the hotel. Tarmac was quiet and calm this late in the evening. It was after 1am at this point.

The night’s sleep more or less amounted to a short nap. Our flight home was at 7:30. Since the Westin has its own TSA line, we pushed it much farther than we usually do (and could have even further). From the time we woke up, shaved, showered and stuff to the time we were sitting eating breakfast airside was under 20 minutes. That’s just damn convenient.
Detroit is nice and artsy this early in the morning.
N852DN was waiting at gate A31 to take us home (damn dots). It flew a redeye in from Las Vegas. This flight was listed as a 757 when I booked it (and I deliberately scheduled this flight because of that). First it was downgraded to an A321, then again to a 737-900 :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I really wish Delta would stop hoodwinking me and downgrading my flights. This is at least the 4th time that’s happened to me.

Delta Air Lines Flight 1073
DTW-ATL
Depart DTW - 7:30am (was actually 7:28)
Arrive ATL - 9:33am (was actually 9:08)
Boeing 737-900
N852DN

Row 27 was my spot of choice this morning.
https://youtu.be/_-MzDMIORQE
We taxied to runway 4R and just floated away
Ford’s test track in Dearborn.
Rouge Plant
Great views leaving Detroit.
Belle Isle
Canada. Again, another nice day.
I got all artsy and took a winglet eclipse photo. Following us on FlightRadar24, for some reason our aircraft was showing up as N852ED. Not sure why that was happening.
We came in a bit of a different way than I’m used to, which meant I picked the correct side to see stuff.
Gainesville
Oakwood, and one campus of the University of North Georgia.
Buford and the Mall of Georgia.
Hey, I can see my house from here! No, really, I could see my house.
Snellville
Stonecrest Mall as we turned right to land on runway 26R.
https://youtu.be/bXqM23OrR9s
Don’t worry, there’s a video of landing with ATC audio attached.
No idea where this Maddog was going, but he took off over us was we taxied through the Victor loop.
We pulled in to gate A27. This was only my 3rd 737-900 flight with Delta. By sheer coincidence, the other two were lined up right down the line with us at concourse A. N857DZ was going to Detroit. N804DN was going to Portland.
N553NW came in from New Orleans, and actually wasn’t going anywhere for almost a day.
N852DN was also going back to Detroit after dropping us. So from there it was straight to my car and back home.

Great trip despite being so short. Bob Seger puts on a great show. That catches me up on trip reports for a while. Thanks for reading :wave:
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.