Ishrion
Topic Author

The Sad Neo: American Airlines A321neo Main Cabin Extra | Anchorage to Phoenix | FREE WiFi Again - Video Trip Report

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:06 pm

This Trip Report continues from the last one, American Airlines A321neo First Class from Phoenix to Anchorage which can be found here: https://youtu.be/YOm5CKuMj_E

This Trip Report in Main Cabin Extra from Anchorage to Phoenix with takeoff/landing is here: https://youtu.be/NhKCalxDVak

[Flight Information]
Aircraft: Airbus A321neo/A321NX
Airline: American Airlines
Date: Late June 2019
Flight Time: 5 hours 22 minutes
To: Phoenix Sky Harbor International (PHX)
Seat: 10F

- Flew the A321neo on AA from Phoenix to Anchorage in First Class. The flight exceeded my expectations, and I got lucky with free WiFi.

- In order to get home, we flew back to Phoenix on the neo in Main Cabin Extra to see those Oasis-style seats that everyone hates.

- AA's neo features Airbus' new overhead XL bins. You can place your luggage on its side. Amazing.

- American's A321neo has 20 First Class, 47 Main Cabin Extra. and 129 Economy Seats. 196 in total. Very tight.

- My seat, 10F, had 33 inches of pitch for a Main Cabin Extra seat. Despite having an inch less than the LAA seats found on the 737s/A321s, the legroom still felt... spacious. This was very likely due to the slimline design of the seat.

- As many know, American opted for no personal entertainment screens, and chose to install tablet holders. I didn't use them on the flight as I fell asleep after takeoff.

- We taxied quickly to runway 7L. I was seated closer to the engine on this flight than my last, and you can really hear the new engine's "ring" or buzz. Truly quiet engines.

- The seat offers a small amount of recline. The headrest is adjustable. I fell asleep quickly with the flight having a departure time of 1:00 a.m.

- I managed to get about 3 hours of sleep. When I woke up, my back was hurting. The slimline seats offer almost zero padding, and sitting in these seats especially for a long time can be uncomfortable.

- I decided to get up and check out the infamous bathrooms that are installed in American's Oasis planes, the MAX, and the neo.

- The bathroom next to row 26 is absolutely terrible for the passengers seated next to it... especially on a long red-eye flight like this.

- When opening the door, it surprised me greatly. The light was REALLY bright and disruptive.

- The bathroom was very narrow too. The sink didn't splash like the MAX and Oasis 737 though.

- I missed snack/beverage service earlier, but it was just the typical pretzels, Biscoff cookies, and drink.

- The FAs came by about an hour before landing to offer drinks.

- Shortly we began our descent and landed in sunny Phoenix.

- One final notable thing was the free WiFi on this flight... again. Was this an accident? Maybe? Twice in a row? Good luck?

Summary:
Yeah... the neo is just another victim of AA's Project Oasis. Terribly hard and uncomfortable seats. Removal of personal entertainment screens.
I seriously feel bad for the passengers seated near the mid-cabin bathroom.
Free WiFi is an obvious plus, and AA is rumored to be introducing free WiFi...

Have any of you flown the neo and experienced similar things?

Previous Trip Reports:
American Airlines 737-800 Business Class Philadelphia to St. Maarten: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1420387
American Airlines 777-300 Business Class New York JFK to London: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1420789
American Eagle CRJ-900 First Class Philadelphia to Cincinnati:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1421299
American Airlines 767-300 Business Class Zurich to Philadelphia: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1422345
American Airlines 737-800 First Class Dallas/Fort Worth to Orange County:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1422417
American Eagle E-175 First Class Los Angeles to Omaha: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1423337
American Airlines MD-80 Main Cabin Extra Omaha to Dallas/Fort Worth viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1424695
American Airlines A321neo First Class Phoenix to Anchorage:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1426019

alecdplotkin

Re: The Sad Neo: American Airlines A321neo Main Cabin Extra | Anchorage to Phoenix | FREE WiFi Again - Video Trip Repor

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:40 pm

Did you do anything in ANC?

Ishrion
Topic Author

Re: The Sad Neo: American Airlines A321neo Main Cabin Extra | Anchorage to Phoenix | FREE WiFi Again - Video Trip Repor

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:57 pm

alecdplotkin wrote:
Did you do anything in ANC?

Yeah, I'll upload some pictures.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:04 pm

Ate at the F Street Station - would REALLY recommend for seafood!

Crab sandwich - absolutely delicious

Fried Oysters

Butter Clams

Calimari

Downtown Anchorage

There's still snow... not sure how ANC is doing with that heat record in the past weeks.

DFWFlyer121

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:34 am

Great report! That food looks amazing

Will try if I go to anchorage!

Ishrion
Topic Author

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:28 pm

DFWFlyer121 wrote:
Great report! That food looks amazing

Will try if I go to anchorage!

Thanks. It sure tasted great as well!