shashankach
Topic Author

Tanzania the Ethiopian way Part 1: ET 788 in Y, BOM-ADD *VIDEO ONLY*

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:18 pm

I took this flight a year ago when we were looking for the best way to get from Bangalore to Kilimanjaro. We looked at many options including via Amsterdam on Jet and KLM and spending 19 hours in Doha on Qatar airways. However, Ethiopian offered the best connections and price but with one catch, we had to connect in Mumbai.

We took a positioning flight on Jet Airways the morning before the flight and we spent the day exploring Mumbai and we stayed at the Niranta transfer hotel at Mumbai Terminal 2. We left the hotel at 1 am to check-in for our 4:30 AM flight.

We forgot to order our vegetarian meal but the friendly check-in agent loaded extras out of India but couldn't guarantee a meal on our next flight from ADD to JRO.

We were waiting for the flight at the Mumbai airport Starbucks and as each hour passed, the departure time was pushed forward by half-an-hour leading to the final departure time of 6:00 AM; 2 hours after the STD.

Our plane was a 6-year-old Boeing 787-8 which still had the original interior it was given in the factory. The seat was a little worn out but everything seemed to work fine. My only problem with it was the response time for the touchscreen IFE which was pretty long.

Because of the delayed departure, we got to take off from Mumbai at sunrise and the views were really special. The time-lapse version is included in the video but I will be uploading a full version later. The crew locked the fancy Dreamliner windows at the darkest setting after takeoff so we could get a few hours of shut-eye before breakfast.

I slept for an hour before I decided to watch black panther on the previous generation IFE system.

Breakfast consisted of parathas (stuffed bread) with chickpea curry along with side dishes that included a muffin, cut fruit and passion fruit juice. I was a little intrigued when I found out that this was an option considering I had never been offered this before. I later found out that it was an African thing and you can't go anywhere in Africa without being offered a glass of it.

The rest of the flight was uneventful and we landed in ADD 2 hours behind schedule. Luckily for us, we had a 4-hour connection and didn't have to spend too much time at the underwhelming ADD airport. They let us skip security and head straight to the departures lounge to wait for our next flight to JRO on the brand new A350!!

For a more detailed and comprehensive version of this, please watch the video attached below!

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJNlDwoqOnQ

Previous trip reports:

Jet Airways, SIN-BLR: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1374593&p=19838559#p19838559

Cathay Pacific 747-400, HKG-HND: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1387423&p=20201661#p20201661

Emirates, DXB-MUC: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1400239&p=20595919#p20595919

Vistara, BLR-DEL: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1411329&p=20954583#p20954583