Ryanair01
Topic Author

Iberia A340-600; a brand new LATAM 787-9 in Business and a BA E-170. August 2017

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:43 pm

Iberia
LHR-MAD
Airbus A340-600
EC-JFK
Delivered May 2005

Iberia and BA both use long haul widebodies between Heathrow and Madrid. Despite costing more, for fun I booked Iberia’s evening A340-600 to Madrid.

As this was a late flight, I went for dinner at Gordon Ramsey’s Plane Food. The fast service was impressive. It's a good alternative to one of T5’s paid lounges.

Plane Food

T5C is normally used by long haul flights. So it was strange to fly from there. My aircraft was waiting at the furthest gate, sparkling in the sun. I picked up a newspaper on the jetbridge.

Boarding

Sunset began as we taxied. This is one of the nicest pictures of Heathrow I’ve seen.

Runway

Iberia’s cabin decor is basic. The seats had a brown tinge, which these pictures don’t show. Despite being plain, the cabin was fairly comfortable.

Seat

Cabin Aft

Cabin forward

Our crew handed out headphones, which I didn’t expect. The IFE had a reasonable range including American Dad. It was easy to use with a smooth touch screen. I could have charged my mobile with the USB, but did not.

Entertainment

My seat had a great wing view. Those giant engines were a reminder that this is a big plane.

Wing view

Each seat pocket had a menu. Having eaten, I bought a small red wine and snacks. The wine was a little light but very drinkable. I’m unsure about the paper tray cover, it’s a little cheap.

Catering

With buy on board finished, I went for a walk. I’d flown a Qatar A340-600 once but didn’t leave the forward cabin. This is a big long plane, which hadn’t occurred to me before.

Lights dimmed

Having landed we taxied to T4S and I exited through Business Class.

Business Class

This is Iberia’s intercontinental hub and most flights had left. It was very eery to walk through such a huge but empty building.

MAD

Overall, it has been a comfortable flight. Iberia offers a basic but polite service. For Av Geeks, taking a big long haul jet on a short flight is fun.

LATAM
MAD-FRA
Boeing 787-9
CC-BGN
Delivered August 2017

After two nights in Madrid I was London bound. Well kind of. A Spanish aviation friend was flying to Frankfurt with LATAM’s 5th freedom service and invited me. So I gratefully accepted.

Iberia’s T5S Lounge is understated but very comfortable.

Lounge

Iberia’s food and beverage is self-service, which I like. This Spanish Omelette looked and tasted delicious. Judge me for drinking in the morning, but such a fine Red Grand Reserva is a treat.

Lunch

Our plane landed from its maiden service flight. Flying an aircraft’s second service sector was exciting.

Aircraft

Welcome Aboard

LATAM’s cabin was configured in a dated 2+2+2 layout. The middle seats were best, giving a personal overhead bin and direct aisle access. Despite being dated, it was a very airy design.

Business Cabin

Seat view

Whilst at the gate a welcome drink and nuts arrived.

Welcome drink

One advantage over more modern designs is lots of unobstructed legroom.

Leg room

The meal service started soon after takeoff. No choice was available. Although cold, the ingredients were high quality. It tasted ‘first class’ and washed down well with some regularly topped up wine.

Meal Service

Shortly before landing, I explored economy. Compared to Lan Chile’s old A340s which plied this route, it seemed cramped.

Economy

Before long Frankfurt emerged from the cloud.

Frankfurt

Our captain invited my friend to the cockpit. They chatted in Spanish for five minutes whilst I looked on and tried to appear like I knew what was happening.

Cockpit

Ground

I headed off to T2 for my connecting flight. Unfortunately, there had been a suspected tear gas attack, so I had to catch a bus.

I enjoyed LATAM, the catering was good quality, staff professional, but their business seat was outdated.

British Airways Cityflyer
FRA-LCY
E-170

As is usual in Frankfurt, we were bused to the aircraft. That gave a great view of this Lufthansa 747-8.

747-8

The E-170 seemed tiny. I don’t like these planes as I find they fly rough.

My aircraft

However, I like the wide seat and extra legroom. When there is a light load, like this one, the E-170 is very comfortable.

Cabin view

I’d forgotten buy on board failed at Cityflyer. My G&T and snacks were gratefully received.

G&T and snack

We landed over Dartford and ten minutes later I was waiting for the Docklands Light Railway home. BA had been an efficient way from A to B and the G&T was appreciated.

Have you got experience of 5th freedom or long haul jets on short flights?