Danielator36
Topic Author

Santiago to Anfotagasta, Chile | Latam Airlines A321-211 (Video Included)

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:59 pm

Basic Info
Date: August 10, 2019
Aircraft: A321-211 (CC-BEN)
Airline: Latam Airlines
Route: SCL-ANF
Flight: Latam 126
Video Link: https://youtu.be/a-mUKYBc4pU

ANF-SCL thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1429281

I booked this flight a few weeks back for ~$37 round trip. On the morning of August 10, I headed to the airport. I got there at about 7:30 AM, printed out my ticket at a self-service kiosk, and headed towards security. One thing which I later noticed was that the security checkpoint at SCL had different regulations than the one in Antofagasta, despite them being run by the same group. For example, the one in Santiago had large signs which warned that you weren't allowed to bring liquids through security, while in ANF there was no rule against that. They also checked that everyone had a ticket as well as verified it with an ID in Santiago, while they didn't in Antofagasta. Security only took me a couple minutes to get through, and there weren't more than 5 or so people in line.

After security, I made the short walk over Gate 26, on the east side of the domestic terminal. Although I didn't have much time before boarding, I did walk around a bit. I saw mostly LATAM planes, many of them in the old LAN Livery. I also saw a Sky Airlines plane in their old livery, which I hadn't seen in several years. The terminal was fairly quiet, but there were still several restaurants like McDonalds and Starbucks open.

I boarded in Group 6 at about 8:45, and sat in an aisle seat in row 30 (this seat was randomly assigned to me by LATAM, I could have payed an extra $5 to select my seat). The legroom was pretty standard, and my seat was pretty comfortable. I ended up spending about 50% of the flight awkwardly recording out of the windows with my camera.

We took off from runway 17L at about 9:10, and promptly turned 180 degrees to the north towards Antofagasta. The day was pretty clear so for most of the flight there was a pretty nice view out the window. The inflight experience was pretty basic, with no free snacks or drink besides water. The entertainment system was pretty good, with a good map feature as well as a big variety of movies and shows.

The flight was pretty smooth, and there wasn't anything for me to really complain about. The staff at the airport as well as onboard were all really nice.
After a bit less than 2 hours, we touched down on runway 01 in Antofagasta at about 10:50 AM. We taxied into gate 2, and deboarded pretty quickly. Antofagasta doesn't have a reputation of being a particularly nice place, but I will say their airport is pretty good. It was quite small, but was pretty modern, well maintained, and had a good variety of stores and restaurants. We went down an escalator, walked through the baggage claim, and ended up in an area with car rentals, taxies, etc.

Overall, it was a pretty good flight especially considering the price. If you're interested, I'd recommend reading the other thread I wrote about the way back. I arrived to the airport several hours before my flight then, so I had a lot more to write about.

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to respond.