dredgy
Topic Author

Exploring Comoros - AB Aviation Embraer 120 Mini-Report HAH-NWA

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:49 am

Hi all, mini trip report here.

I usually post my reports on my YouTube channel (http://YouTube.com/generictravel - upcoming business/first
Class videos on SAA, Ethiopian, Air Madagascar, Emirates, Virgin Australia), but this flight is a little more AVgeeky, and wasn’t long enough to make a video about.

So I’m currently exploring Africa and after finishing a few weeks in Madagascar, I headed to Comoros to finish a month long trip with my mum. We both spent a couple of days in Moroni - climbing Mount Karthala and generally exploring the island of Grand Comore. Then my mum headed back to Australia and I moved onto Moheli, another island in the Comoros Archipelago!

I was flying AB Aviation, apparently Comoros’ most reliable airline. The flight was from Moroni (HAH) to Fomboni (NWA).

I checked in with little event - my baggage was nearly 15kg overweight but the guy couldn’t be bothered arguing when I clearly didn’t speak French so just waved me through.

The boarding pass was unique - just a laminated card with the destination - no boarding time, no name, no gate nor any other identifying information.

Then it was just sit around in Moroni's domestic departure lounge which was....dire. No entertainment, air conditioning, or any other level of comfort. At least it wasn't super crowded. Boarding announcements weren't made over a speaker, just by some guy at the gate yelling out destinations.

When the guy called Moheli, I jumped out and progressed to the plane. While I've probably flown Embraer 120s before, this is the first time since I've started paying attention to aircraft types so I was pretty excited.

The livery of the plain was quite nice, with the engines being baremetal.

The internal layout was very nice too and alot more spacious than I was expecting. The plane was probably 40-50% full and there were no seating allocations.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/sdEkBcIl.jpg[/img

Takeoff was almost instantly, after a short safety demonstration. The flight attendant was the first person in Comoros I met who was fluent in English.
Takeoff was over Mount Karthala, Comoros' highest peak and one which I had spent 12 hours hiking up the previous day.

Cruise lasted for maybe 10 minutes and Moheli came into sight very quickly with Grand Comore still visible behind.

Nevertheless, this is not America, so there was service. A packet of decent biscuits and a bottle of water was provided.

And descent had already started by the time I finished snacking.

And a safe, smooth touchdown.

After such a quick, painless flight, it was a near 2 hour drive to where I'd be spending the next week scuba diving from a private beach.

I actually quite enjoyed the flight, it was quick and efficient and probably half an hour (if that) from boarding to disembarking. Coupled with a surprisingly comfortable seat and good service, I'm eagerly awaiting my return flight!

lychemsa

Re: Exploring Comoros - AB Aviation Embraer 120 Mini-Report HAH-NWA

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:31 am

I wanted to go to Madagascar but was worried about getting sick. They had the plague a year ago. Did you go to Nosey Be?

debonair

Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:40 am

What a superb TR, always loving to read from such "exotic" and little unknown airlines

dredgy
Topic Author

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:36 pm

lychemsa wrote:
I wanted to go to Madagascar but was worried about getting sick. They had the plague a year ago. Did you go to Nosey Be?

No I did not, drove west coast (Morondava) to east coast (Toamasina). Furthest north I went would’ve been the Tsingy I think. Would love to go back and explore more - Antananarivo is a fantastic city and I didn’t get enough time there, Nosy Be and the south are also areas I’d like to go to. I highly recommend visiting, illness would be extremely unlikely for a tourist. I saw the plague reports, looked into a vaccine, decided against it and didn’t give any second thought.

debonair wrote:
What a superb TR, always loving to read from such "exotic" and little unknown airlines
[/quote]

Glad you enjoyed! These are usually my favourite airlines to fly but there’s only so much you can say!

RyanairGuru

Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:57 am

I love these reports of little known airlines to little known destinations!

Thank you :)
Worked Hard, Flew Right