Full Trip Report with takeoff and a beautiful sunset landing: https://youtu.be/bujshe9SFicIntroduction:
I don't think I have to say it, as you probably already know American Airlines retired the last of its 26 MD-80s on September 4th, 2019.
In order to fly the aircraft one last time, I flew from Dallas/Fort Worth to Amarillo and back on September 3rd and 4th.
This first part will cover the flight to Amarillo in Main Cabin Extra. This is N9628W's second to final revenue service.
✈ Aircraft: McDonnel McDonnell Douglas MD-83
✈ Registration: N9628W
✈ Airline: American Airlines
✈ Date: September 3, 2019
✈ Flight Time: 52 Minutes
✈ From: Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
✈ To: Amarillo (AMA)
✈ Seat: 11A
- I went through Terminal D's security, which was a breeze. No one in line around 5:30 p.m.
- I shortly headed to the Skylink train in order to transfer to Terminal C.
- Terminal C seriously needs a renovation, or at least a window clean. The windows were extremely dirty and made it hard to see the aircraft.
- We shortly began boarding and headed onto the memory-filled MD-80.
- The cabin emitted a "yellow" lighting... a rather nostalgic feeling.
- American's MD-80 feature 16 First Class, 35 Main Cabin Extra, and 89 Main Cabin seats.
- These seats were OLD. They still feature the blue cloth, instead of the brown/dark blue leather American uses on its newer aircraft.
- MCE features a great seat pitch of 34 inches. The seat felt very comfortable as well.
- Shortly before departure, the pilot came on the PA (in the video) to announce it was his final MD-80 flight and acknowledged it would be sent to Roswell the next day.
- We departed and had a long taxi and wait before takeoff. There were quite a few departures at the time.
- Our takeoff was honestly very steep. It had a fantastic view of the DFW Airport.
- We shortly leveled off at the cruising altitude. The FA's came by and offered a choice of drink and pretzels.
- Soon after that, we began our descent and landing into AMA. The sun began to set and offered a stunning lighting.
- After a very smooth landing, we taxied into our gate. Amarillo has a very modern but small airport. It's one of the only airports in the U.S. to feature glass jetbridges.
- Upon disembarking, there was a professional photographer taking pictures of the MD-80 at the gate.Summary:
I'm definitely going to miss this aircraft... super comfortable compared to American's newer aircraft (Oasis).
The landing was definitely one of the most beautiful I've experienced... the sunset right over the Amarillo skyline was amazing.
Thanks for reading/watching!Previous Trip Reports:Summer 2018 to Spring 2019 American Airlines 737-800 Business Class Philadelphia to St. Maarten: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1420387
American Airlines 777-300 Business Class New York JFK to London: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1420789
American Eagle CRJ-900 First Class Philadelphia to Cincinnati: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1421299 American Airlines 767-300 Business Class Zurich to Philadelphia: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1422345
American Airlines 737-800 First Class Dallas/Fort Worth to Orange County: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1422417American Eagle E-175 First Class Los Angeles to Omaha: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1423337
American Airlines MD-80 Main Cabin Extra Omaha to Dallas/Fort Worth: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1424695Summer 2019American Airlines A321neo First Class Phoenix to Anchorage: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1426019
American Airlines A321neo Main Cabin Extra Anchorage to Phoenix: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1426813
American Airlines 787-9 Business Class Los Angeles to Tokyo HND: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1427951
EVA Air A330-300 Economy Class Tokyo HND To Taipei TSA: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1428983
Cathay Pacific 777-300 Economy Class Taipei Taoyuan To Hong Kong: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1430001
American Airlines 777-300ER First Class Hong Kong to Dallas/Fort Worth: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1430483
Last edited by atcsundevil
on Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited in accordance with forum rules