jetblue01
Topic Author

Alaska on Air Canada Beechcraft 1900 & United 737-800

Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:39 pm

This was from a trip i took 3 years ago. I had written it up, but forgot to post it --
Over the summer we decided to go on an Alaska cruise. After looking at different options mainly from SEA and YVR, we eventually decided on YVR. Once we had that settled, we had to choose our flights. We decided on AC through YYZ on the way there, and UA through ORD on the way back. On the day of the flight we got to the airport around 9am, for our 10:45am departure. At SYR, Air Canada has their own check in counter. For many years they shared a counter with AA. Considering the flight was on a Beech 1900, only a few other people at the counter were checking in. We got checked in, and went through security. We got to the gate at 9:45am. Shortly after we got to the gate, an announcement was made that our flight was delayed since our plane had yet to depart YYZ, they also added they did not know why the plane had not taken off. Eventually the plane took off, and they updated our departure time to 12:05pm.

July 6, 2016
Air Canada opb Air Georgian
SYR - YYZ
C-GAAS
Beechcraft 1900
Scheduled Departure 10:45am
Actual Departure 12:19pm
Scheduled Arrival 12:00pm
Actual Arrival 1:09pm
Flight Time- 50 minutes

As soon as our plane pulled up, they started making announcements for boarding. There was only about 10 people booked on the flight. I was looking forward to this flight, as I had never been on a flight with a plane this small. The smallest planes I had been up to this point were either the Dash 8-200, or the Saab 340. On this plane there was no door to the cockpit, so you could see out the front window through the entire flight. There was no FA on this flight. The FO stood outside as we boarded, and he closed the door. Lastly before he went into the cockpit, he pointed out the emergency exit and all of the emergency equipment on the plane.

3A

Once the door was closed, the engines were started and we taxied to runway 28. We were #2 for takeoff, behind an E145 to ORD. Once we were in the air, we made a straight line towards YYZ, and climbed up to 16,000ft. Since there was no FA, there was no service that was done. Sitting next to the engine, made for a loud flight. We began our descent about 15 minutes before landing.

Taxing by N931DL, which was delayed 2 hours to ATL

Descending into YYZ

Taxing to the gate

Once we landed, we had about a 10 minute taxi to the gate. It was a decent flight. It was cool to be able to see into the cockpit, while we were in the air. After deplaning, we had a long walk to immigration. When we got there, the line was long and it took a while to get through. Eventually we were able to head to our gate, that our YVR flight was leaving from.

July 6, 2016
Air Canada 147
YYZ-YVR
C-GJWN
Airbus A321
Scheduled Departure 3:10pm
Actual Departure 3:43pm
Scheduled Arrival 5:15pm
Actual Arrival 5:18pm
Flight Time- 4 hours 35 minutes

It was a full flight to YVR. The boarding process what somewhat chaotic. There were not many announcements made, everyone just boarded at the same time. Once everyone was onboard the door was closed. The CA made an announcement that a plane was blocking our push, and that we should be pushing within 5 minutes. We ended up waiting at the gate for over 20 minutes, before we finally pushed.

Boarding

14A

After takeoff the flight attendants came through the cabin with drinks that were free, and meals were for purchase. All of the flight attendants except for one were all very friendly. They came through the cabin multiple times with drinks, and to collect trash. The plane had PTV’s and wi-fi, which made the flight go by pretty quickly. About an hour before landing the flight attendants came through with one more service. Once this was completed, we began our descent into YVR. The CA made an announcement letting us know the arrival gate, and that it was a nice afternoon in Vancouver. There were clear skies and the temperature was 68 degrees. We landed on 26R at 5:18pm, and arrived at the gate a few minutes later.

Climbing out of YYZ

Descending into YVR

Final 26R

Touchdown

C-GJWN, preparing for the flight back to YYZ

We spent 1 day in Vancouver. The following day we left on the cruise, that would go up to Alaska. It made several stops on the way. All really cool places, and lots of really beautiful scenery. After the cruise we spent a few days in Alaska, before flying out of Fairbanks.

Whale Watching!

Getting ready to board our sea plane

The night before our flight, we stayed at a hotel near FAI airport.

N67171 taxing out for the redeye to MSP

AS to ANC

UA to ORD, this is the flight I was taking the following night

AS arriving from SEA at 11pm and it is still light out!

The next day our flight was not scheduled to leave until 8:30pm. The shuttle from the hotel left at 5:30pm. There were several people from our cruise who had been at the same hotel as us. A lot of people were flying out the same night. The airport was small, and only had flights to ANC, MSP, ORD and SEA. The flights all seemed to be full, as there were long lines at both the UA and DL counters. Check in took a long time. They were UA agents working at the counter, but they seemed to be confused by the computers.They all kept asking each other questions. They each spent several minutes with each person. Once we finally had dropped our bags, we went through security. The line for security also moved quite slowly. TSA had to repeatedly remind people to take out their laptops, liquids etc. One woman must not have flown any time recently, as she was confused as to why she had to take off her shoes. She was adamant that she would not take them off, and finally TSA made her get out of line. Once we were through security we checked out the limited options for dinner, before the 5 hour overnight flight to Chicago.

July 19, 2016
United 1209
FAI-ORD
N76504
Boeing 737-800
Scheduled Departure 8:28pm
Actual Departure 8:29pm
Scheduled Arrival 5:20am
Actual Arrival 4:35am
Flight Time- 5 hours 6 minutes

Check in

Our plane arriving from ORD

Boarding

Boarding began at 7:45pm. Despite the full flight, boarding was pretty fast. Everyone was onboard and we were ready to go 15 minutes early. The CA welcomed us aboard and mentioned the route we would be flying, and the weather. He said it should be a smooth flight to Chicago. He also said that due to some favorable winds he was expecting a short flight, only 5 hours and 5 minutes. After this the door was closed, and we pushed back a few minutes later. Once the engines were started, we had a quick taxi to 20R. After the safety demo was done, they played a video about the united credit card. It was still playing when we taxied on to the runway, and started our takeoff roll. Once we were in the air, the pilots checked in with departure. ATC said, we could turn left or right. The pilots said “whatever way is more scenic”, and with that we started a left turn and climbed up to FL330.

Once we leveled off the flight attendants came through the cabin with drinks and snacks. This was different then any other redeye flight I had been on. We took off and it was still light outside. The further east we flew the darker it got. It did not get fully dark until 3 hours into the flight, and was still dark when we landed at O’Hare.

Later in the flight, we climbed up to FL350

About an hour before landing, flight attendants came through with drinks again. Shortly after this we started our descent into ORD. We had a firm touchdown on 9L at 4:35am, 45 minutes ahead of schedule. After a quick taxi, we arrived at gate B11 a few minutes later. After waiting for 10 minutes the CA made an announcement, that they were looking for someone to connect the jetway. He said it should only be a few more minutes. It took another 10 minutes until we finally started to deplane.

Touchdown

We had a little over 2 hours until our flight to SYR was scheduled to depart. After getting some breakfast, we headed to our gate to wait for boarding.

N76504 preparing for a 6:00am departure to CLE

July 20, 2016
United Express opb ExpressJet
ORD - SYR
N34110
Embraer E145
Scheduled Departure 7:02am
Actual Departure 7:11am
Scheduled Arrival 10:00am
Actual Arrival 9:40am
Flight Time- 1 hour 29 minutes

N34110 arriving from CMH

[Image

Boarding

The grasshopper stayed on my window until we started our takeoff roll

Once everyone was onboard, we waited for about 10 minutes for the door to be closed. The only flight attendant on the plane did a safety demo to a recording. Once we were up in the air, she came through with snacks and drinks.

Climbing out of ORD

We started our descent about 15 minutes before landing. Flying a left downwind, before landing to the west on runway 28 at 9:40am. We arrived at gate 21 a few minutes later.

Final 28

N34110 preparing for the flight back to ORD

I especially enjoyed the flight from SYR-YYZ on the Beechcraft 1900. It was definitely a unique experience. The United flights were decent, typical domestic flights. It was also different flying on a redeye, that departed while it was light out, and landed while it was dark. Overall it was a good trip to Alaska!

Cubsrule

Re: Alaska on Air Canada Beechcraft 1900 & United 737-800

Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:21 pm

Thanks for the enjoyable read. The house in which I grew up and my middle and high schools are all in your picture of PWK. Made me smile.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

maps4ltd

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:47 am

I remember when they cut SYR-YYZ. Was big news here on anet.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

jetblue01
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:42 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
I remember when they cut SYR-YYZ. Was big news here on anet.

Yeah, it was the only "international" flight from SYR. I think they ended it about a year ago this month.