lugie
Topic Author

New cabin, new terminal, old livery: RDU-EWR and LGA-IAD-FRA on UA

Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:40 pm

Hello dear Trip Report readers,

and welcome back to part 2 of this report on my short trip to the US East Coast this fall. (Part 1)

After a fun week (9 days, in fact), full of catching up with friends and other activities, it was time for me to return home as for the first time in over a year, classes at my German university were about to start.
For Friday I planned to fly up to New York only, arriving there around noon leaving me with more than a full day to spend in the city, as my flight homeward bound was only departing Saturday at 7pm.
This time, a flight to Newark had been cheaper than the connection to LGA, so I booked that route on United Express. My flight left RDU at 10:45, so I didn’t have to get up too early. I set my alarm to 7:30, took a shower and packed the rest of my things before leaving the house at 8:30 with my friend who volunteered to drive me. After stopping to grab some breakfast on the way, we arrived curbside at RDU’s Terminal 2 at 9:10.

On the airport road

The architecture of Terminal 2 was supposedly inspired by the rolling foothills of the Appalachian mountains, about an hour and a half west from the Triangle area

Curbside where my friend dropped me off

After having said goodbye, and having made plans for my friends to come visit me in Germany, I headed inside, checked my bag at UA’s counters and then headed over to the security checkpoint. TSA took about 15 minutes to clear, but I was airside around 9:30, with 1:15hrs to spare before departure.

The wavy lines of the exterior design continue inside the departure hall

Flight information display listing departures after security and some more architecture

Having had a coffee and breakfast already, I just walked over to my gate, D12, and waited the remaining 45 minutes until boarding began. I really liked the screen that UA had up, displaying such things as the seatmap and upgrade list, but also a weather radar for the destination and, very helpful for avgeek me, the aircraft’s registration.

Our departure gate and some artwork looking across to the opposite gate

We began boarding at exactly the indicated time of 10:20am and it was concluded very quickly after I was on board – doors closed only 13 minutes later!

N730YX as seen from the jetbridge

18/10/2019 – United Express flight UA3741 (operated by Republic Airways)
RDU – EWR
Scheduled flight time
    10:45 – 12:29 (1hr 44min)
Actual flight time
    11:04 – 12:14 (1hr 10min)
Actual block time
    10:41 – 12:19 (1hr 38min)
Aircraft and age
    Embraer E175(LR) (N730YX), 4.0 years at time of flight
Seat
    20A, Window, Economy

The cabin of this new generation E175 was pleasant, featuring the same seat design that UA has on their 777s too. Everything seemed rather fresh. The legroom was incredible – I think that I’ve never had more space for my legs in an economy seat before. Check out the picture! The big window was also very welcome, as the weather outside was gorgeous so I was expecting some great views (lots of pictures following!).

Legroom - the fingers on my hand were spread out, I measured them at home so it must have been around 5 inches / 14cm from my knee to the seatback in front

Looking outside from 20A

Everything was great until this point – after a quick safety demonstration we pushed back ahead of scheduled departure (at 10:41) and began our taxi swiftly after. Then however, we had to pull over at a holding pad ahead of the taxiway bridge over to our departure runway 05L for almost 15 minutes. Apparently the reason was ground traffic at RDU, but only one plane came across the bridge that entire time. Oh well, we were still expecting an on-time arrival.
Finally, after having been released and crossing the bridge, it was our turn to take off into the clear fall skies at 11:04 local time.
It was an amazing day for flying with plenty of great views.

Finally crossing the taxiway bridge over to 05L

Racing past Terminal 1, where the only user currently is Southwest

Climbing out: The currently under construction runway 05R/23L

The city of Durham in the distance

Falls Lake and the dam carrying I-85 across it

Already over Southern Virginia now

We took a slight right turn right after departure, maintaining that course for a while flying into southern VA, then passing RIC before correcting a bit more to the right to pass DC and Baltimore on the southeast. Views there were amazing, barely any clouds were in the way and I managed to spot pretty much all major landmarks in DC from our cruise altitude of 27,000 feet. Around that time, the inflight service was conducted and I got a water and some Biscoffs.

Inflight service

Marine Corps Base Quantico and the Potomac River

The nation's capital in plain view, the airport in the front is Andrews AFB

The Chesapeake bay close to what I believe is Annapolis, MD

Baltimore and its harbor, BWI can be seen near the left-hand edge of the image

Shortly after, at 11:49 cruising NE of Baltimore, our descent was announced and around the same time, some clouds started building up below. The captain advised that we might encounter a bumpy ride, as there were gusty winds in the NY area, but it never got too bad. Finally, above central New Jersey, we broke from the clouds again, revealing another range of great views on the way down. Without having hit any real bumps, we touched down on runway 04R at 12:14, followed by a 5-minute taxi over to our arrival gate C86.

Somewhere over Central Jersey

Increasing urban buildup as we get closer to EWR

Short finals over Elizabeth, NJ

Arrived at Newark, with a company A319 taking off from the parallel runway

A lot of United here

After deboarding, I hurried to the baggage claim and, after having waited a couple of unnecessary minutes at the wrong claim (we were only informed of the change after ~10 minutes), I picked up my bag, headed up to the AirTrain and managed to connect to a North East Corridor train without any wait at 1pm. It took the train only 23 minutes to get to Penn Station, and even though my hostel was in Long Island City, I made it there another 20 minutes later by subway – 45 minutes from Newark to Queens seems like a good connection to me!

A last view back on my plane parked in sunny but windy Newark

On the AirTrain to the NJ Transit train

I dropped off my bag there and then headed out to meet another friend who was currently in NY too. We spent the rest of Friday and most of Saturday together before it was time for each of us to head home.

Some random snapshots from New York in fall

My friend caught an earlier flight to RDU, while I had a bit more time left for mine to FRA via IAD.
I ended up roaming Downtown Manhattan until around 3:45pm, before taking the (1) -> (3) -> (7) subway to my hostel in LIC. There I picked up my bag and then took the (R) to Jackson Heights – Roosevelt Ave to connect onto the LaGuardia Link bus, which dropped me off curbside at Terminal B at 5:10pm, around 2 hours before my flight.

The newly renovated WTC-Cortlandt station on the 1 train

Curbside at LGA Terminal B

I headed inside to the UA check-in desks, dropping off my bag and having it checked all the way through to FRA.
After that, I went over to the security checkpoint, where a class of school kids had just gotten in line before me, so it took over 20 minutes to clear. I also lost one of the earpieces on my headphones, so all in all not a great experience (meant I had to use the cheap ones provided by UA later).
To make up for that, once airside I treated myself to a burger and a beer at Shake Shack. Flying out of the new Terminal B was also a treat in itself, so that helped. I’m a big fan of how the renovation turned out.

UA desks at LaGuardia

The newly renovated Terminal B, featuring an indoors garden, a bright and airy design and lots of big, spotter-friendly windows

My plane pulling into the gate

Boarding began ahead of the indicated time at 6:45pm and was concluded within 15 minutes. This CRJ was so small, I could barely stand up straight inside and I bumped my head on the door during boarding.

Entering the plane - maybe I should have watched the height of the door instead of taking pictures here

19/10/2019 – United Express flight UA6367 (operated by Mesa Airlines)
LGA – IAD
Scheduled flight time
    19:15 – 20:44 (1hr 29min)
Actual flight time
    19:37 – 20:20 (43min)
Actual block time
    19:26 – 20:23 (57min)
Aircraft and age
    Bombardier CRJ-700 (N515MJ), 16.1 years at time of flight
Seat
    21D, Window, Economy

The legroom on this flight was rather tight, but tolerable for the short stage length. Also, upon the “boarding completed” announcement, the aisle seat next to me was still vacant, so that was a nice additional treat. However, while boarding was announced to have been concluded at 7pm, the door remained open for another 20 minutes. During this time, one engine was started up already. This seemed unusual, but I suspect there may have been an issue with air conditioning or ground power, as the cabin was also very hot.

Legroom shot

Pushing back, with one engine already running

Finally, after the door had been closed, we pushed back at 7:26pm and began taxiing 5 minutes later. The second engine was started up only during taxi out again, and being #2 in line for departure, it was our turn to take off from runway 31 at 7:37pm.

Taxiing out to runway 31

Our departure route took us over Rikers Island, before making a short right turn, followed by a long left hand turn bringing us deep into Northern New Jersey (west of the EWR traffic flows) and then heading down to Dulles over eastern PA and northwestern MD at a shallow cruise altitude of just 20,000 feet. A quick drink and snack service was performed (I got the famous stroopwaffel this time) about 10 minutes into the flight and lights were kept off for the entire duration again (like on the Delta CRJ to RDU the week before).

Rikers Island right after our westbound takeoff

We already began descending just 20 minutes after departure again and slowly worked our way down for an arrival from the north, landing on IAD’s runway 19L at 8:20pm. After having taken the first exit at a very high speed, the taxi over to our arrival gate was swift, and we parked at C22 just 3 minutes later. An interesting observation: One of the engines was again kept on through the opening of the boarding door and the first minutes of the deboarding process.

Already on final approach into IAD

Arrived at the gate

Once inside the terminal, I found out that there were no such things as windows, so I just walked over to C3 from where my flight to FRA was supposed to depart from.

Once at the gate, they were calling passengers for document checks, and since I had connected to IAD, I walked over quickly (low-key also hoping to get my receipt-style BP replaced with a nicer one, to no avail however).

I’m not a big fan of the C concourse at IAD, the near total lack of windows made it feel very boxed in and since I had already eaten at LGA I eventually just took a seat and waited for boarding, glad that my connecting time here was considerably less than the 2.5 and 4 hours I had had the previous week at LGA and YYZ, respectively.

Luckily, boarding began on time, although it was a slightly unorderly again (I’m going to blame this on the large number of German passengers – we seem to be among the only nations incapable of grasping the concept of boarding zones). Also contributing was the fact that this 777 was pretty much fully booked.
While for the longest time before the plane had been indicated as having the old configuration, the day before it turned out to be another one of UA’s refurbished planes, like the one I had been on in January, featuring their new Premium Plus, the Polaris business cabin and a 3-4-3 configuration in Econ.

Boarding line at gate C3

19/10/2019 – United Airlines flight UA932
IAD – FRA
Scheduled flight time
    22:20 – 12:10+1 (7hr 50min)
Actual flight time
    22:42 – 11:56+1 (7hr 14min)
Actual block time
    22:23 – 12:13+1 (7hr 50min)
Aircraft and age
    Boeing 777-222(ER) (N788UA), 22.3 years at time of flight
Seat
    41L, Window, Economy

Despite now featuring the narrower seats, I’m still a big fan of the cabin refurbishment on those 777s. This one looked as fresh as N791UA had when I flew it to O’Hare in January, even though both are over 22 years old, with line numbers still in the double digits. The legroom was very good again, though slightly less generous than on the E175 the day before.

The economy cabin during boarding

Legroom and a cabin view from my seat: Once again I was seated only one row behind an exit, this time the 3R door

The IFE was once again impressive, I actually counted the number of movies and got to around 230. A similar number of tv show episodes was available, so I definitely wouldn’t get bored.
Doors were closed at 10:10pm and we pushed back another 13 minutes later. I tuned in to channel 8 hearing us get our taxiing instructions, which we began following at 10:28. I really liked this feature and it stayed available throughout the flight (unless the map which glitched out about an hour in).

A 787 pulling into the neighboring gate

After a somewhat lengthy taxi and holding short for 3 departures, it was our turn and we lifted off into the dark night skies over Northern Virginia at 10:42pm from runway 30. After a right turn we were set on a course that had us leave behind the mainland rather quickly, having flown out toward the sea over Maryland and Delaware, before hugging the coast again briefly at eastern Long Island, Cape Cod and Nova Scotia, sending us off on a rather southern TATL course on an initial altitude of 33,000 feet.

Departing IAD and some views of nightly NoVa

Dinner was served about an hour into the flight and was rather tasty even though it looked slightly questionable at first glance (smaller portion size than on AC, though). After that, the cabin was dimmed and passengers were asked to lower their shades, as the sun would rise rather soon given our late departure. Since I’m notoriously unable to sleep on planes, I never even tried aside from half an hour of resting my eyes. Instead I watched some tv shows. Moreover, it was already around 7am German time by the time the dinner service and cleanup was concluded, so I figured I’d do my best to adjust my body clock quickly given that my first classes were already the following day.

Dinner service aboard UA932

About 1:45hrs out, just as we approached Ireland, the cabin was slowly awakening, so I dared to open my shades for a bit. Breakfast was served shortly later. While it wasn’t much, it takes my prize for the most adequate and tasty breakfast I have received so far: A nice and warm croissant roll alongside some jam and a surprisingly big pot of yoghurt – good choice, UA!

And the breakfast service, less than 5 hours later

The clouds below cleared up over Southern England and then we headed into Central Europe over Belgium. By the time we had reached the Belgian-German border the descent from the final cruise altitude of 39,000ft was already being initiated. After circling around FRA and the Rhein-Main area on the north for our downwind approach leg, we turned base over the city of Hanau for an arrival on the rain-wet runway 25R at 11:56 local time.

The Coast of the English channel

Already surrounded by clouds during descent

The "twin cities" of Mainz and Wiesbaden, separated only by the Rhine river and both capitals of their respective German states

FRA as seen from the northwest

First views of the city of Frankfurt during the downwind leg

Turning over some wind turbines to get ourselves established on runway heading

And "Mainhattan" comes into view again, this time much closer but from the south

A faint rainbow on short finals

Vacating the active after 7 hours and 14 minutes in the air

What followed was an almost 20-minute taxi from the arrival runway to a hard stand outside Terminal 2, followed by another 15-minute bus ride back to Terminal 1. From the bus stop to passport control and the baggage claim it took another 10 minutes on foot – by now I understood the rather intense hatred FRA sometimes gets on A.net!

An AC 787-9 passing by as we finally reach our parking position

Positive side effect of remote stands: Being able to truly appreciate the size of this 777!

Adding the wait at the baggage claim, it had taken me almost an hour from landing to getting landside, where my parents luckily picked me up. This way, at least I didn’t have to go through the hassle of waiting for a train on top of all of that.

Other than that, UA continued to perform well in my opinion, on my flights with them. I would count myself to the camp of voices that currently see them on the rise. (And it obviously won’t change my preference for FRA as my departure airport of choice – just too well located and its connectivity is unbeatable!)

Thank you for reading and congratulations for making it through all of this!
I hope to be back again soon with an interesting report, although at the moment I don't have any flights booked :/

-Lukas
DH4 E75 E90 CR9 CRK M88 319 320 321 332 333 359 733 73G 738 739 748 764 772 77W 788
X3 LH 4U TP US SN EI FR IB LX LA CM UA DL AA AS WN AC
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW YYZ SJO PTY

invertalon

Re: New cabin, new terminal, old livery: RDU-EWR and LGA-IAD-FRA on UA

Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:58 pm

Excellent TR, really enjoyed both!

How tall are you? Curious, as being 6'6" I like to take mental note of the room given in economy on various aircraft/airlines.

mchei

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:27 pm

Very nice, thank you!

What followed was an almost 20-minute taxi from the arrival runway to a hard stand outside Terminal 2, followed by another 15-minute bus ride back to Terminal 1. From the bus stop to passport control and the baggage claim it took another 10 minutes on foot – by now I understood the rather intense hatred FRA sometimes gets on A.net!

See? Aren’t you happy you got the free airport tour? :)
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

lugie
Topic Author

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:33 pm

invertalon wrote:
Excellent TR, really enjoyed both!

How tall are you? Curious, as being 6'6" I like to take mental note of the room given in economy on various aircraft/airlines.

Thank you, much appreciated!

I'm 6'1" (although with rather long legs), the legroom on that Embraer was the best I've ever had.
Not sure if it was just a fluke but I'd dare say that row 20 on the UA Express E175 could be a comfortable place for you to sit.

mchei wrote:
Very nice, thank you!

See? Aren’t you happy you got the free airport tour? :)

You're very welcome, thanks for reading!

This is perhaps a perfect example for the importance of consent - I've actually taken the organized airport tour at FRA before and loved it, but I couldn't quite find that much joy in this unexpected one ;)
DH4 E75 E90 CR9 CRK M88 319 320 321 332 333 359 733 73G 738 739 748 764 772 77W 788
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW YYZ SJO PTY

AMS18C36C

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:38 pm

Thanks for sharing, and it was an enjoyable read!

[quote="lugie"]
A quick drink and snack service was performed (I got the famous stroopwaffel this time) :/

The stroopwafel is a Dutch snack. You can get them in the supermarket over here. :P

shaq

Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:56 pm

This looks exactly like my flight with them last year on EWR-TXL. Their tatl eco product is competitive. Looking forward for your next TR.
Studying hard, for flying right!

lugie
Topic Author

Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:46 pm

AMS18C36C wrote:
Thanks for sharing, and it was an enjoyable read!

lugie wrote:
A quick drink and snack service was performed (I got the famous stroopwaffel this time) :/

The stroopwafel is a Dutch snack. You can get them in the supermarket over here. :P

Glad you enjoyed it!

I've actually had the original dutch stroopwaffel a few times when I was in the Netherlands and I've been wondering why it seems to be such a typical thing for United to serve. Do you have any idea?

shaq wrote:
This looks exactly like my flight with them last year on EWR-TXL. Their tatl eco product is competitive. Looking forward for your next TR.

Thank you!
I agree, their product is very competitive and I would even argue that in economy their hard product at least is superior to LH, as far as IFE goes (on LH longhaul types other than the A350). I also appreciate that their TATL Y fares include an advance seat reservation.