BA NEO to Iceland

Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:18 pm

BA896
London Heathrow
Keflavik
A320 NEO
G-TTNE
First Flight 7th September 2018

I didn’t intend to write a trip report for this journey, but none the less I hope some people will find it interesting. I'm sorry the pictures are odd, unfortunately my phone is playing up.

Check In via the BA app was fairly painless. I was pleased to see that I’d been allocated a window seat on the right-hand side. That gives the nicest views on this particular route - top tip!

At security, I was sent via an experimental lane. Apparently, research is being carried out into new scanning methods. The aim is so laptops and toiletries can be left in luggage. The result was somewhat mixed because it takes passengers less time to unload, but the scan is quite slow. None the less it did feel much less stressful.

Boarding was via an A Gate, so it was a very short walk from North Security to the gate.

The flight was quite full, but there had been some missed connections. Two of those were sat next to me, which gave a lot of space.

The captain came on and welcomed us aboard, “one of the newest aircraft in British Airways short-haul fleet”, giving a lengthy welcome aboard which included our route and flying conditions.

We pushed back on time and didn’t even queue for take off, which is pretty unusual for Heathrow in the early morning. My phone was having a moment, which meant I missed the BEA A319, BOAC 747 and Negus 747. Still, live life in the moment. I did manage a few other snaps.

One odd thing I noticed is that when power is being applied, the engines make a mooing noise, not unlike a 777-300ER. The initial acceleration seemed fast to me, I do think the NEO seems a fairly sporty aircraft, but I may be wrong.

Once airborne the CSM welcomed us aboard and outlined the service.

BA’s NEOs feature their new short-haul cabin design. Around half the plane has their current seat (the front half). These have adjustable winglet headrests and they recline to serve Club Europe customers. The back half has fixed Recaro thin line seats which don’t, where I was sat. I found it comfortable enough, with adequate legroom.

One welcome addition is USB charging points, although I couldn’t get my phone to charge. Conversely, BA’s moving map and drop-down displays have gone.

Otherwise, the cabin looks much like a 1988 build A320.

The seat pocket was stuffed with various reading material and I picked up a complimentary copy of the New York Times whilst boarding.

About 20 minutes after take off the buy onboard service commenced. The range is quite extensive for buy on board. This is just a selection.

The range is quite alcohol focused in my view, probably because BA makes a nice markup.

Service runs front to back with a single trolley. I got served fairly quickly, but it took a full hour for those at the back to be served. The crew seemed haphazard, compared to Wizz who very efficiently have one person serve and another take payment. I found the Mixed Fleet crew fine. However, when getting off I bumped into an Icelandic friend who works in the industry. She was genuinely upset that the crew wouldn’t help when other passengers sat in her seat during boarding and refused to move.

Regardless, I opted for a hot chocolate which complete with marsh mellows, hit the spot.

We flew along the Icelandic South Coast, past glaciers and black sand beaches.

The pilot flew into KEF very low indeed, rolling the entire runway length, touching down before the markings. We docked at an airbridge and upon leaving the aircraft one of the pilots stood to bid us farewell, except they were chatting to cabin crew ignoring is. Apart from bumping into someone I know, I was through KEF very quickly. Without Wow, it is a very quiet little airport offseason.

Overall, BA seems to have carved a niche in Iceland serving Asia bound connections and a few die-hard Executive Club members. Without a doubt, airlines like Wizz and easyjet seem to carry more point to point passengers. Having said that, on this occasion BA offered a very competitive fare, so why wouldn't you fly them?

ConnectAir

Re: BA NEO to Iceland

Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:00 pm

Nice report, though those seats do look quite thin and cheap.
WN, LX, AZ, BA, LH, KL, DL, OK, S5, US, UA, VY, IB, AF, LY, F9, CO, YX x2, PD, AC, AA, OO, PT, QK

A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, B712, B733, B737, B738, B753, B744, B764, B772, B789, CRJ9, DH8D, E145, E190

IndianicWorld

Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:29 am

ConnectAir wrote:

It’s the way of the world really. Likely saving weight and this pleasing the Executive team and therefore delivering ‘shareholder value’ :)

Great report.

krisyyz

Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:15 am

Thanks for posting this! Great report. I agree with you, Airbus missed the opportunity for a cabin refresh with the NEO line.

KrisYYZ

davies2911

Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:07 am

I flew this aircraft last Friday in row 25 on a short LHR-INV on my way back from DXB. I’m only 5ft 10” and can honestly say that was the most uncomfortable flight I’ve had in my life. If that is the way BA are going then I’ll take a low cost option to LHR for connecting. Incidentally i flew U2 the next day INV-LTN on an A320 with identical seats that felt like it had at least an inch more pitch and definitely more seat padding which was much more bearable.

Ryanair01
Topic Author

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:36 pm

A few details I should have added:

- The aircraft was wifi enabled, but the crew didn't announce it. Netflix is viewable via the wifi, so when coupled with the charging points it's quite an upgrade in terms of entertainment for European routes
- There was no duty free service, the NEO has no room for duty free

ConnectAir wrote:

Thank you

IndianicWorld wrote:
ConnectAir wrote:

It’s the way of the world really. Likely saving weight and this pleasing the Executive team and therefore delivering ‘shareholder value’ :)

Great report.

Thank you. I found the seats were pretty comfortable

krisyyz wrote:
Thanks for posting this! Great report. I agree with you, Airbus missed the opportunity for a cabin refresh with the NEO line.

KrisYYZ

I do find it quite surprising they didn't do something to compete with the Sky Interior

davies2911 wrote:
I flew this aircraft last Friday in row 25 on a short LHR-INV on my way back from DXB. I’m only 5ft 10” and can honestly say that was the most uncomfortable flight I’ve had in my life. If that is the way BA are going then I’ll take a low cost option to LHR for connecting. Incidentally i flew U2 the next day INV-LTN on an A320 with identical seats that felt like it had at least an inch more pitch and definitely more seat padding which was much more bearable.

Can't say I found my seat tight, but I had flown a 28 inch pitch Wizz A321 a couple of weeks beforehand. I think easyjet's seat and pitch is identical. I certainly wouldn't pay more for BA.

devron

Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:04 am

I agree those look like terrible seats. I already avoid BA as their service is bad. But in economy it is more and more difficult to find a decent product and this continues the race to the bottom.

Nice report.

b4thefall

Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:48 am

davies2911 wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this! I have flown on an easyJet 320 with the same model of seat, so was looking forward to my BA 320neo flight. I was very disappointed when I sat down and discovered that the seats on the BA machine were noticeably tighter.

I'm 6"1. On the easyJet plane, I had a bit of space& some wiggle room for my legs and could also stretch my legs under the seat in front. On the BA plane, my knees were tight against the seat in front. Also, on the BA plane, the plastic back of the seat in front seemed to extend lower down. This meant that it was impossible for me to stretch my legs, as the seat dug into my shins.

I never thought the day would come when easyJet beat BA on comfort! Thankfully the flight was only 1hr long. Any longer would have intolerable.

vhtje

Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:54 pm

Great report, thank you!

I had a urgent business trip to Reykjavik in May last year; I was booking on Thursday for travel on Sunday. BA wasted something obscene like £600 for a Y fare. I ended up booking with WOW Air, paying for an XL seat outbound and an XXL seat inbound. It was still less that £200, including checked luggage. It wasn’t a bad flight. Iceland was eye-wateringly expensive, though.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.