N776AU
Topic Author

Very Fast Turnaround ATL-MSP-ATL on Delta

Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:28 am

I had to use my companion pass before the end of September or lose it, and I wasn’t about to let that happen. I called my mother and asked if she would like to take a quick weekend with her favorite son :bigthumbsup: I was tasked with finding the farthest away place for a still semi-reasonable price. We settled on Minneapolis the weekend of September 28. I’ve been before, but she never had, so it was a good spot for me to explore some new things there, and for her to check out the Mall of America. This was only a 24 hour turnaround, so it was very, very fast. I should also mention, this is the first trip report I shot on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I kind of had a good time using the new wide angle feature. Ok, dude, enough rambling. I want to read plane stuff.

It was an early morning, arriving at Hartsfield just past 5am. After a quick breeze through TSA Precheck, we just walked to concourse A for our flight.
Not much activity this early (wide angle photo count - 1)
Sitting at gate A24 for us was an Airbus A321, N319DN (damn, this phone performs well in low light)
So we were chilling by the window and chatting, and good night, do the gate lice ever love to get in line early. Jeez, people, we aren’t flying Southwest. Here’s a pro tip for all y’all who feel the need to clog the gate area - I’m going to get to Minneapolis the same time as you, except I’m more comfortable sitting at the gate.

Delta Air Lines flight 1866
ATL-MSP
Depart ATL - 7:25am (was actually 7:50)
Arrive MSP - 8:59am (was actually 9:07)
Airbus A321
N319DN

We were in 22 E and F in Peasantville.
View of cabin during boarding (wide angle photo count - 2)
As the sun came up, I started playing with my camera some more. It was really the first time I was able to make it flex its muscle.
(wide angle photo count - 3)
We had a bit of a holdup. Someone behind us was having a medical emergency of some sort, to the point where they called for a doctor, and eventually took the passenger off the plane.
We pushed at 7:50, 25 minutes late. We weren’t up against any clock in Minneapolis. Actually, that delay probably worked to our advantage. As early as we would get to Minneapolis, nothing would really be up and running yet. N586NW next to us was going to San Francisco.
(wide angle photo count - 4)
Off in the distance was N685DA, my online handle for almost everything. Today was going to Los Angeles and back.
Taxiing down the concourse as the sun rises (wide angle photo count - 5)
Working our way to runway 8R (wide angle photo count - 6)
We followed a FedEx 767-300, so we had a small wait.
https://youtu.be/l7kwzERWVh8
Did I mention I took the takeoff and landing videos in wide angle too? I did. Actually, I quite liked how the turned out.
Up and out on a beautiful morning (wide angle photo count - 7)
N776AU, did you really have to take the snack photo in wide angle? Yes, yes I did :bouncy: (wide angle photo vaunt - 8)
(wide angle photo count - 9, because I’m artsy like that)
My mom was watching a movie of some kind. I was just looking out the window and enjoying the ride.
It was a Saturday, so I’ve always got time for College Gameday.
We were in and out of clouds descending to Minneapolis.
https://youtu.be/-r0E-ZuUkaM
Video of landing on runway 30L. Very nice day in Minneapolis as well.
We pulled in to gate G14. N319DN was going to LGA next.
N6700 next door was going to Atlanta.
First thing I notice walking out of the airport, the nice weather. The month of September in Atlanta saw every day go over 8000 degrees and 95% humidity. This was a nice change.

We caught a shuttle to our hotel, and then to the Mall of America.
Some giant NFL helmet display. Had to grab the Colts one. We actually didn’t hit anything in the mall first. It was still a bit early.
We took the train in to town, although that weekend there was some track work and a bus bridge. It got us there in good time, anyway.
We didn’t get a real breakfast in Atlanta, so we were hungry. We ended up at a place called Red Cow, and it was really, really good.
Cheese curds and a burger made of 40% ground bacon. It was as magical as you probably think it was.
After that we took a lap around the St. Anthony Falls heritage trail. This was new for me too. Quite enjoyable.
(wide angle photo count - 10)
(wide angle photo count - 11)
Great afternoon. Towards mid afternoon, we hopped back on the train and explored the Mall of America. I didn’t take any photos, even though I should have.
Best purchase at the mall for me was a “cookie dough flight” from some place whose name I can’t remember. Amazing. I don’t want to know how many calories I consumed on Saturday.

Sunday morning was time to fly home. When I booked this flight it was on a 757-200. For the first time ever, Delta didn’t hoodwink me and downgrade the aircraft to something shitty. There was an equipment change as I was doing my checking. We were upgauged to a 757-300. That was a welcome change just for the rarity. Our flight was being operated by N590NW, a 757-300 that actually took my brother to Orlando a few years back.

We were dropped at MSP at 5:20 for our 6:25 flight. I kept having to reassure my mom, “don’t worry. This isn’t Atlanta we’re dealing with.” Sure enough, we were through the Precheck line and at our gate in less than 10 minutes. Try doing that in Atlanta.
We were leaving out of gate G2 this morning. These iPads were really cool when they were new, but now they’re way out of date, and it shows.

Delta Air Lines Flight 1122
MSP-ATL
Depart MSP - 6:25am (was actually 6:20)
Arrive ATL - 9:44am (was actually 9:23)
Boeing 757-300
N590NW

We were seated way the hell in the back in row 37. I don’t have any photos or videos from the first 10-15 minutes of the flight because not only was it dark outside, but it was also raining.
After a big, badass, normal 757 takeoff the sun started to rise as we headed toward 35,000 feet.
Beautiful morning once we got above the weather.
I think most of these shots would fall under the “quit playing with your new damn camera” category.
Did I wide angle SportsCenter and the service again? Yes… (wide angle photo count - 12)
Airport was landing from the west. I’m not familiar with that part of town, so there weren’t any noticeable landmarks for me (wide angle photo count - 13)
https://youtu.be/rN6vLaHm8ew
Wide angle and 4K video of landing on runway 8L for your viewing pleasure
N82314 was heading out to Houston.
N6700, coincidentally the same aircraft I passed in Minneapolis. This morning it was going to Tampa.
We pulled it in to gate B4 (wide angle photo count - 14).
N6708D was pulling in next to us after a flight from the happiest place on earth. While we waited there were some jet bridge issues. Not sure what, but were sat for about 10 minutes or so before it was fixed.

Atlanta is home for us, so we waited until the bulk of people were off in case of connections or anything like that.
N590NW was going to Salt Lake City after dropping us off.

Excellent flights, and a nice way to forget that you have a life and responsibilities for 24 hours. I do have one more trip on the horizon. Looking forward to it. Love Delta’s A321s, and really love the 757s. Hopefully my errors are minimal. Thanks for reading :wave:
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

SESGDL

Re: Very Fast Turnaround ATL-MSP-ATL on Delta

Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:57 pm

Great report! Really nice seeing pictures of my hometown (MSP). I always enjoy reading your trip reports!

Jeremy

Re: Very Fast Turnaround ATL-MSP-ATL on Delta

Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:26 am

Great report and photos. Looks like a nice day for flying up to MSP. Looks like you had a beautiful day here!
I love to fly!