jetblue01
Topic Author

Phoenix - New York City on Southwest & jetBlue A321

Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:41 am

I had plans to go to New York City in November. I originally booked myself on AA from PHX-LAX-JFK for the outbound, and B6 A321 for the return. When I was looking at flights, I noticed that B6 was going to be using the A321 for the JFK-PHX flight. This is the first time they have sent the A321 to PHX. In the past it has always been the A320. So when I was saw this I decided I would do that flight for the return. I would be flying on the 2nd A321 to PHX. It started the day before my flight, and it switches back to the A320 in January. About 10 days before I was supposed to leave, something came up and I had to switch to a flight leaving later in the day. I ended up switching to WN for the outbound flight. I had the option to connect in DEN or STL, and I went with DEN.

Southwest 278
November 14, 2019
Phoenix, AZ (PHX) – Denver, CO (DEN)
Boeing 737-800
N8566Z
Seat 24A
Scheduled Departure Time- 2:10pm
Actual Departure Time- 2:24pm
Scheduled Arrival Time- 3:55pm
Actual Arrival Time- 3:45pm
1 hours 21 minutes

N8566Z

At 1:45pm boarding started. 5 minutes late. It was a completely full flight to DEN, and by the time everyone had boarded, they ended up closing the door 5 minutes late. We were at the closest gate to our departure runway. After the engines were started we began the taxi to 25R, and were in the air within 2 minutes of starting our taxi.

Boarding

24A

Pushback

“Southwest 278 25R cleared for takeoff”

Climbing out of PHX

About 10 minutes after takeoff, the flight attendants came through with drinks and pretzels. It was a smooth flight minus a few bumps on the way into DEN. Just before we started our descent a KE A330 passed right over us, 1000ft above. After this we started our descent into DEN.

We descended into the DEN area from the southwest, before turning onto a downwind. We followed another WN 737 from GEG into the airport, landing on runway 16R at 3:45pm. After a short taxi, we arrived at gate C36.

Final 16R

Touchdown

Taxing to the gate

I had a little under 2 hours until my connecting flight to LGA. My plane arrived from SAT, 15 minutes late. As soon as people started deplaning, announcements were made regarding boarding. Just like the last flight, by the time everyone had boarded the door was closed about 10 minutes late.

Southwest 1158
November 14, 2019
Denver, CO (DEN) – New York, NY (LGA)
Boeing 737-700
N255WN
Seat 10A
Scheduled Departure Time- 5:50pm
Actual Departure Time- 6:14pm
Scheduled Arrival Time- 11:25pm
Actual Arrival Time- 11:31pm
3 hours 17 minutes

N255WN to LGA

10A

Once the engines were started we taxied to runway 8, were we #1 in line for takeoff. After takeoff, we climbed straight out to FL390. After takeoff flight attendants came through with drinks and pretzels. They came through multiple times throughout the flight. It was a smooth for the first half of the flight. The CA made an announcement that we could encounter some turbulence around the Chicago area. He had the flight attendants stay seated. It got pretty turbulent for about 10 minutes, and then it smoothed out again.

Flying over Chicago

About 30 minutes prior to landing the CA made an announcement, that he was expecting more turbulence during the descent. He wanted the flight attendants to be seated for the rest of the flight. The flight attendants quickly came through to collect trash. When we descended through 10,000 ft, they made an announcement that all laptops needed to be put away, and since they were seated due to the turbulence “they would take our word that everyone was putting their laptops away”. We descended over the city, on a right downwind for runway 22 at LGA. We made a relatively smooth landing at 11:31pm. There were not many other airplanes taxing, and we arrived at the gate a few minutes later. We arrived at terminal B. This was my first time in the new terminal.

Descending into NY

Final for 22

Touchdown

N255WN, it went to DAL early the next morning

After a few days in NY, it was time to head back to PHX. My flight back was leaving from JFK. I could only get a ride to the airport around 3pm, for my 7pm flight. I arrived at JFK around 3:45pm, and had a little over 3 hours until my flight departed.

B6 check in at T5 at JFK

jetBlue 135
November 17, 2019
New York, NY (JFK) - Phoenix, AZ (PHX)
Airbus A321
N965JT
Seat 20A
Scheduled Departure Time- 6:59pm
Actual Departure Time- 7:17pm
Scheduled Arrival Time- 10:36pm
Actual Arrival Time- 9:49pm
4 hours 32 minutes

N965JT arriving from SDQ

Boarding began at 6:25pm. It was a full flight, and the door was closed 5 minutes early. We pushed back, and the engines were started. A few minutes later we started our taxi to runway 31L at the kilo-echo intersection. It was a quick taxi to the runway. As we were holding short, an AF A380 taxied past us and took off ahead of us. We followed them on to the runway, and after a few minutes holding in position we began our takeoff roll. Once we were in the air, we entered the clouds soon after takeoff. I was listening to ATC, and the controller told the A380 ahead of us that the mother of another controller was onboard, and wanted to pass along a message.

20A

Holding short

Line up and wait

Climbing out of NY

After we reached our cruising altitude, the flight attendants came through with drinks and a variety of different snacks. This was only my second flight on a B6 A321. It is definitely much nicer than the A320s, they usually send to PHX. With the free wi-fi and tv the flight went by fast, and before long we were descending into PHX.

Descending into PHX

Arriving at gate F4

N965JT preparing for the redeye back to JFK
It was nice to have the opportunity to fly on the B6 A321 into PHX. It was a much nicer airplane then the old A320s, that I always seem to get on when I fly them into PHX.