newbief1yer
Topic Author

Part 4: Return from Shijiazhuang on Hebei, Qatar and British Airways - India and China Trip 2019

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:28 pm

Video Report

Hebei Airlines - NS3209 - Shijiazhuang to Chengdu - B737-800

Qatar Airways - QR861 - Chengdu to Doha - Airbus 330-300

British Airways - BA122 - Doha to London - Boeing 787-9

Background

Hello A'netters. Welcome to the last and final report of my India and China 2019 series.

For the return, I needed to get from my wife's home town (Shijiazhuang) back to London. I wanted to get back on the 17th and my flight options were limited. I wanted to come via Xian and avail of the direct flight from Xian to London on Tianjin Airlines, but for some reason, when I was looking for flights for my dates in November (in September), I was seeing no available flights from SJW to Xian for the Sunday morning. (Although come October, this option was possible; looks like Hebei Airlines and other domestic Chinese carriers load their flight bookings quite late into the system)

My other option was to head to Chengdu on the 16th evening and then take an overnight flight from Chengdu on Qatar Airways to London, via Doha, enabling me to arrive back into London Heathrow (Or Gatwick) by mid-day on the 17th, Sunday.

I zeroed in on this option. Even though this means that I would need to take 3 flights to get back home, it would also mean that I would get to fly on a new airline (Hebei Airlines) and for the first time I would be flying alone, domestic china, on a local carrier. This should be fun! My routing from Chendgu would be on Qatar's A330-300 and then onwards on a BA B787-9 over to London Heathrow.

The booking experience on Qatar Airways website was seamless. Although there was a pricing anomaly. Booking directly though Qatar Airways website I was getting a quote of CNY 2950, whereas when I clicked on Qatar Airways website via Kayak, I was getting the same ticket for CNY 2770. Not sure why there was this discrepancy.

Seat selection was possible on the Qatar flight from Chengdu but not on the BA flight from Doha. Come on BA! :(

My route and previous trip reports in this series, as below,

1. Part 1: Virgin to Mumbai - India and China Trip 2019
2. Part 2: Tour of Himachal Pradesh - India and China Trip 2019
3. Part 3: Air China Business Class to Beijing - India and China Trip 2019
4. Return from Shijiazhuang Via Chengdu and Doha on Hebei Airlines, Qatar Airways and British Airways (This report)

Hebei Airlines - NS3209
Route: SJW - CTU
Flight Reg:B-5753; Delivered to Hebei Airlines on March 2013
Aircraft Type: Boeing 737-800
Seat: 64A
Flight time: 16:20 - 19:00 (16:27 - 18:48)
Actual flight time: 2Hr 22 Min
Distance: 811 Miles
Load: 100% load
16 Nov 2019
Booking details: Booked on trip.com @ 900 CNY (£102) including all taxes and 1 check in luggage at 20 kilos
My Log book: 1st Flight on Hebei Airlines / 35th flight on Boeing 737-800 / 223rd Total overall flight

Qatar Airways - QR861
Route: CTU - DOH
Flight Reg:A7-AEM; Delivered to Qatar Airways on Jan 2008; Named: Shrawa
Aircraft Type: Airbus 330-300
Seat: 11A
Flight time: 01:05 - 05:20 (01:21 - 05:35)
Actual flight time: 9Hr 14 min
Distance: 3194 Miles
Load: ~50% load
17 Nov 2019
Booking details: Booked on Qatar Airways website @ 2770CNY (£317) including all taxes and 1 check in luggage at 30 kilos
My Log book: 5th Flight on Qatar Airways /8th flight on Airbus 330-300 / 224th Total overall flight

Qatar Airways - QR5943 (Flown by BA122)
Route: DOH - LHR
Flight Reg:G-ZBKI; Delivered to BA on March 2016
Aircraft Type: Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
Seat: 31K
Flight time: 06:40 - 11:10 (07:17 - 10:48)
Actual flight time: 6Hr 32 Min
Distance: 3261 Miles
Load: ~70% load
17 Nov 2019
Booking details: Booked on Qatar Airways website @ 2770CNY (£317) including all taxes and 1 check in luggage at 30 kilos
My Log book: 41st Flight on BA / 4th flight on Boeing 787-9 / 225th Total overall flight

Day before the flight I was just scanning for alternate options from Shijiazhuang to Chengdu and realised that there were so many more options available. The most interesting one being a Chengdu airlines flight via Lanzhou on the ARJ21!!

Gutted to have missed this opportunity given that it was also at almost similar timings. Looked like they had only begun this route last week.

I was able to check in 48 hours prior to departure, via Qatar Airways website. The entire process was seamless and was also able to assign seats on the BA flight onward from Doha, albeit the seat selection was limited. Nevertheless, managed to bag the second last row, window seat. Whilst choosing seats on the BA seat selector, I realized how front heavy the BA 787-9's are. Just 13 rows of economy seating on a twin aisle wide bodied jet! Wow!

I also realised that Qatar airways park their A333's for quite a long time at Chengdu. The flight arrives into Chengdu at around 1400 and leaves at 0100 the filling day. Nearly 11 hours of ground time at Chengdu. Anyone know why?

Day of the flight, drive to the airport was very quick, around 30 minutes. But it took a further 10 minutes to find parking.

Once inside the airport, I tried to do self-check in only to be told that you need either a Chinese passport or id card. So had to be the traditional checking in for me.

Arriving at Shijiazhuang Airport (SJW); their new(ish) terminal. The last time I was at SJW

SJW Airport shuttle

Took around 10 minutes. Bagged the last row window seat. Apparently the only window seat available.

Security took a further 10 minutes and I was airside with over 90 minutes to spare.

Hebei Airlines Check in desks

Only works with Chinese Passports or ID cards

Flight seems to be on time

Heading towards security

Duty free and airside

The new terminal building is a very typical Chinese airport. Massive area with a lot of walking for a small airport. A very good selection of restaurants and refreshments available including a KFC.

Boarding commenced at 1540 and it was fairly orderly. On board by 1600 and complete by 1610. It was a full flight to Chengdu today.

Take your picture taken with an A380 :)

Karaoke anyone?

KFC at the other end of terminal

Another view of the terminal from the other end

Plane spotting at airside

Spotted the rare Comac ARJ21 of Chengdu Airlines

There is my ride to Chengdu

Time to board

Economy section of this aircraft starts from row 40 all the way to row 67.

Disembarked before time and was airborne by 1630. No announcements from the cockpit regarding flight times or any other information.

There were pre-recorded messages in Mandarin and English.

Unlike previous Chinese airline experience, this airline uses the seatbelt sign appropriately.

Business class seating

View from my seat

Seat pitch

Reading material on board

Safety video on the overhead screens

Bye Bye Shijiazhuang

A full meal service ensued which comprised of a pork with rice dish. There were no other options provided to us. It tasted pretty good albeit I was still feeling bloated from the heavy lunch we had at the famous hotpot place Hai di lao.

Meal boxes and drinks cup cleared by 6 pm. By now there were quite strangely playing an Indian film on the overhead monitors with the voice over the planes speakers. A very odd choice indeed even though there were Chinese subtitles.

Meal on this sector

Only 1 option --> Pork with rice. Tasted really good.

Some Indian drama on the overhead screen, including Hindi dialogues on the speaker! How strange!

Cabin view

A quick visit to the toilet before landing

The crew on this flight were effective and were able to communicate in basic English. I wasn't expecting much, given that they do not even have a full-fledged English website. That being said booking via Xiamen airlines might've mitigated this issue. I forgot about it until I read their inflight magazine which reminded me that this airline was part of the Xiamen airlines group.

There was quite a lot of clear air turbulence on this sector. Nothing too severe but there was a constant disturbance throughout most of the flight and got a bit more pronounced towards descending into Chengdu.

Nevertheless we touched down into smoggy Chengdu by 1845. Well ahead of schedule.

Through the clouds; over Chengdu

At Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport (CTU)

Thank you Hebei Airlines

Domestic terminal at Chengdu

Baggage collection at CTU

Overall It was a fairly good show by Hebei airlines. Except for the lack of an English website and the inability to check in for foreign passengers (This seems to be more of an Chinese issue than the airline) it was a good way to reach Chengdu. Flight was on time and apart from the turbulence en-route the crew did a good job of keeping the show on the road. For the price paid, it ticked all the boxes.

Quite a long taxi from our runway to the terminal. Once at the terminal, it was a quick exit from the airport. Out in 20 minutes.

I had to then make my way to terminal 1 which is the international terminal. I had the option for a free shuttle bus or walk it. Since I had quite a lot of time to spare, I chose the walking option.

It took me around 15 minutes to walk it up. Not the most seamless way to reach but nevertheless was a good walk.

Exiting the domestic terminal

I needed to walk around 15 minutes to the international terminal. I could've used the shuttle but I had lots of time to spare

I reached the departures terminal at around 20:00 and upon checking the Qatar Airways counter, it said that the check in counter only opens at 22:05, which meant I had nearly 2 hours to while away.

Made use of this time to refresh, re-pack and also buy some duty free items for colleagues and friends, which enabled me to pack and hence reduce my hand luggage. I had to try out the local McD too :)

Panda playground at CTU International terminal (This is the old one, I had been to before)

Have got around 2 hours before the check in desk opens

Panda themed self-check in kiosks, for Sichuan Airlines, of course!

International Terminal at CTU

First in line

The check-in gates opened at precisely 2205 and I was the first to go through. Was done by 2207.

From here immigration took a while even though there were not too many people. Security thereafter was quick and was airside by 2245.

Chengdu airside hasn't changed a bit since the last time I was here, 6 years ago. Not much to do and very few duty free shops. For a growing tourism industry such as Chengdu this was very underwhelming.

Quite a lot of group tours from Chengdu. More than other airport in China, I noticed.

Heading to Immigration

45 minutes later at Airside

Walked around for a bit and was at the gates by 2330 still over 30 minutes for boarding to commence.

Seems to be a very light load today of around 150 passengers, ~50% , as confirmed by the boarding gate attendant.

When boarding commenced it was a bot chaotic. They intended to do it via zones but only had markings for zone 1 and 2. What about 3 and 4? They were a few confused faces but eventually we all got in. :)

Boarding complete by 0100. Flight time of 8hr and 50 minutes announced which seems a bit longer than average.

There is my ride to Doha

At Gate 106

Given the load factor I got the 2 seats to myself which was handy given the constrained leg space below the window seat due to the massive, probably the largest IFE box. It defies purpose since the screen is tiny. The aircraft definitely shows its age compared to the latest IFE offering by Qatar's newest aircrafts. This is in line with the complaint about Qatar being inconsistent within its garden product. I reckon the days of these A330s are numbered and hence not much is going to be done to these aircrafts.

Another drawback of these interiors are the lack of any charging points. USB. Ac adapter. Nothing.

Got 2 seats for myself! Quite an empty aircraft today, to Doha.

Blankets and pillows kept on the seat

So where do my legs go?????

The pitch was alright, but hardly any space to keep your legs.

Urgh!

Old skool remote

This cabin has seen better days!

Disembarking

Amenity pouch for this flight

We were warned of few patches of turbulence in Chinese and Pakistani air space but the rest of the journey was supposed to be smooth.

First dinner round commenced promptly within 40 minutes of the flight and was complete within 90 minutes after take-off.

This was good timing as I put on my eye mask by 0245 and slept till around 0630.

Spotted Sichuan Airlines brand New A350-900 on the way taxing

Watched half way through this, but then got bored and slept off!

Menu for this flight

Breakfast options

A very good first meal

With a Bloody Mary, yes!

I was too full to complete it

A quick visit to the toilet before i retire into my seat

Walked around a bit chatting with the crew. The crew on this flight were average. They did everything as required and no more. That being said, for a complete red eye flight such as this not sure if there was anything more they could've done apart from a few drinks rounds of which there were none that I noted. The toilets were kept clean throughout the flight. So a big positive there.

Slept for an hour more and breakfast served at 0830 china time, 0330 Doha time, 90 minutes before landing.

After being well rested, continued to watch a bit of Modern Family --> My favourite!

Breakfast, 90 minutes before landing

Cabin view before landing

Circling above Doha

The entertainment on this flight was alright. The selection was very good. But the major let down was the screen quality and size. It reminded me of the older British airways 747 screens. They weren't touch sensitive and all controls needed to be done via the controller. And what added insult to injury was the huge size of the IFE box underneath the seats impeding leg space!

Rest of the flight was uneventful in a good way. We landed into Doha around 15 minutes behind schedule and were parked at a remote stand.

As we parked I saw the BA aircraft just behind us and was parked at a gate very close to the main concourse area.

Ah! My childhood airline :)

There is my aircraft, just arriving from London. Will be with you soon.

Parked at a remote stand

Thank you Qatar Airways

There she is :)

Transit in Doha

Bussed to the terminal and a quick security check later was at the main duty free area by 0600. A quick duty free shopping done and was at my nearby gate at 0620.

There is a further security check at the gate although there was no need to remove laptops et al.

Boarding commenced at 0635 and was complete by 0655. It was very orderly and done in groups.

This again wasn't a full flight albeit much higher than 50% on the way in to Doha.

Managed to change my seats at the gate from 42A to 31K.

Transiting at Doha

A very short walk to my next gate

But another security check, Urgh!

Hello!

On Board it was a typical BA DreamLiner. No unexpected surprises, good or bad. Once boarding had been complete I was in a row with the middle seat vacant. Felt like I was in club Europe. :)

Pushback at 0658. As always the captain came on the intercom with a detailed itinerary of the flight. Apologising for the late arrival of the aircraft due to being kept at a holding pattern above Doha. However a quick 6hr 40 minute flight would mean that we were scheduled to land on time or even before it depending on ATC at London.

Once airborne, the Dreamliner started to bathe me. :) Seems to be a feature of the Dreamliner if the air outside is too dry. Condensation apparently.

My seat for the next 7 hours

View from my seat

Comfortable

Better than the A330 Qatar seating, but still impeding leg space. How does Emirates do it?

Bye Bye Doha

One of the many stadiums being built for the World Cup in Qatar

Is this the worst film of the year/decade?

Strange cloud formation above the Arabian Gulf (Near Kuwait)

Breakfast was served at 0800 and it was very mediocre. I perhaps chose the wrong dish. Nevertheless it was adequate for the time. I would've preferred if the bread would've been warm.

Post breakfast I used BAs brilliant sleep music and slept for around 2 hours. When I woke up it was just 2.5 hours left for my long journey back home.

A quick snack was served 90 minutes before landing. There was expected to be a bumpy approach into London but there was none of that and we landed 20 minutes ahead of schedule.

Rest of the journey through Heathrow T5 was easy and out of the airport by 11:35

Full English on this sector

Toilets on the Dreamliner

Cabin view en-route

Pre-landing drinks

And a snack roll

Some great views of London before landing

London Bridge and the Shard

Final Verdict
It was indeed quite a long way to reach London from Shijiazhuang. There are more viable options, especially via Shanghai, Guangzhou and Xian. Albeit, this was fun from an AvGeek's perspective and I enjoyed it.

Hebei Airlines was a nice 'First time' airline to try. It was decent and no complaints from my end. On time, good meals and the service on board was more than acceptable. Interiors of the aircraft were good and tidy.

Qatar Airways, on the other hand, use their older aircrafts to Chengdu which is really showing their age right now. The leg space is a major issue on their older A330's especially with the antiquated IFE unit. But overall it was alright but I have had better experiences on other Middle Eastern Carriers. The transit experience at Doha was acceptable and better than Dubai.

BA, on the return was their normal long haul affair. On time, professional and courteous flight attendants, above average meals and overall a pleasant flight.

Hope you liked this series of my trip report. As always, comments and feedback welcome.

Until next time, happy and safe flying, Adios!

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Re: Part 4: Return from Shijiazhuang on Hebei, Qatar and British Airways - India and China Trip 2019

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:29 pm

Previous Trip Reports

Part 3: Air China Business Class to Beijing - India and China Trip 2019
Part 2: Tour of Himachal Pradesh - India and China Trip 2019
Part 1: Virgin to Mumbai - India and China Trip 2019
BA A350-1000 New Club World Suites - To Madrid and back
Linked In Post
Bank Holiday weekend to Romania - BA and Wizz Air
Bank Holiday weekend to Ireland - BA and Aer lingus
Part 4: South American escapades - Domestic Peru on LATAM(s)
Part 3: South American escapades - Bye Bye Chile, Hello Peru!
Part 5: South American escapades - Is there a worse way to get back from Lima to London?
Part 2: South American escapades - Over to Torres Del Paine and back
Part 1: South American escapades - On BA's Longest flight to Santiago
Part 2: Hopping across India on Indigo and Air India
Part 1: Emirates from London Stansted to India and back
One World to Myanmar - BA and Cathay Dragon
Hopping across Myanmar (Burma)
Christmas and New Years at Croatia - 2018
Birthday trip to The Ice Hotel - Swedish Lapland
Part 6 (Final) trip to Kyrgyzstan - Back from Bishkek to London via Istanbul
Part 5 trip to Kyrgyzstan - Air Astana from Urumqi to Bishkek via Astana
Part 4 trip to Kyrgyzstan - Air Arabia from Mumbai to Urumqi via Sharjah
Part 3 trip to Kyrgyzstan - IndiGo from BLR to BOM
Part 2 trip to Kyrgyzstan - Jet Airways from Dubai to Bengaluru via Mumbai
Part 1 trip to Kyrgyzstan - Virgin to Dubai on A340-600 (G-VNAP)
Weekend trip on Austrian to Vienna - A321-100
Oman Air - London to India and back - A333 & B738
Part 5 - Long way to Vietnam - Return from Shanghai on BA B77W Club World
Part 4 - Long way to Vietnam - China Southern - Hanoi to Shanghai
Vietnam Domestic on Vietjet
Part 2 - Long way to Vietnam - Vietnam Airlines A350 to Saigon - Business Class
Part 1 - Long way to Vietnam - BA to Shanghai - Club World
Weekend trip to Budapest on FlyBe (SEN) and BA (LHR)
Part 4 - KLM from Beijing to London via Amsterdam - B787-9 & ERJ190
Part 3 - Spring Airlines - Seoul Incheon to Shijiazhuang - Airbus 320-200
Part 2 - Korea Domestic on Korean Air and Jeju Air
Part 1 - London to Seoul on KLM? No. Air France? No. Korean Air?
Part 5 - Canadian Escapades - Vancouver to London - BA A380-800 - Club World
Part 4 - Canadian Escapades - Edmonton to Vancouver - WestJet B737-800
Part 3 - Canadian Escapades - Toronto to Calgary - Air Canada B767-300ER
Part 2 - Canadian Escapades - Quebec to Toronto - WestJet Encore Dash8 Q400
Part 1 - Canadian Escapades - London to Montreal - BA 787-8
Weekend in Bilbao - BA A320 - Photo + Video Report
Cambodian Escapades - China Southern B787, A321 and A320
Domestic Cambodian Escapades - Sky Angkor - KOS-REP - A320
Weekend in Zurich - Swiss and BA (Club Europe) - Airbus 320-200
Weekend at Cinque Terre - BA to Bologna - Airbus 320-200
Journey to the East (Part 5, Final) - BA B747-400 (Club World)
Journey to the East (Part 4) - China Eastern A321-200
Journey to the East (Part 3) - Etihad 5th Freedom Route
Journey to the East (Part 2) - BA, JAL, Etihad, China Eastern
Journey to the East - BA, JAL, Etihad, China Eastern
Norwegian And Air Baltic To ARN And RIX
London To Muscat On Gulf Air - A332 And A320
Part 4:India Domestic-9W, AI, SG On A321,B737,Q400
Part3: Phuket To India - Bangkok Airways -A320-200
Part 2:Thailand Domestic -Nok Air And Thai AirAsia
Part 1:Qatar Airways - Thailand And India
Part 3:BA Club Europe - LCA-LHR - Boeing 767-300
Part 2:Blue Air - Athens-Larnaca - Boeing 737-400
Part 1: Aegean Air - LGW-ATH-JTR - A320-200
Ryanair London(STN) To Lake Como (BGY)
Weekend In Belfast - Aer Lingus A319-100
BA First - PEK To LHR - Mid J B747-400
China Railway (CRH) - Video Report - SJW - Beijing
BA CW - Upper Deck To Beijing - High J B747-400
LAN Dreamliner (J) Experience - MAD FRA
Weekend In Trondheim - DY/SK - Boeing 737-800/600
Baltic Escapades - VNO/TLL/RIX On W6,BT And OV
South France - EasyJet A320 BA A319
UK To India - The EK Way - B777-200/300 & A380
India Domestic–Jet Airways And Indigo–A320/ATR 72
BA A320/321 - LHR To Berlin TXL - Christmas Day
China Southern - LHR-CAN-HKT - B787/A321
Cool Blue To BOS And Got Blue? To LAS - E190 A320
Mahalo Hawaii, Hello NYC - DL B767-300
Aloha! The United Way - B777-200 And B737-900
VS Little Red To ABZ And EZY Return
24 Hours On A 787! - Final Leg CZ - AKL-CAN-LHR
Part 5 - BHE-WLG-AKL On NZ Beech1900D And A320
Part 4 - MEL-AKL-ZQN On QA And NZ B738\A320
Part 3 - CNS-MEL On JetStar A321-200
Part 2 - SYD - CNS On Virgin Australia E190
Canton Route Part 1 - LON-SYD - CZ DreamLiner/A332
DREAM(liner)ING Of Hainan - China Southern
Panda Calling - BA LHR To CTU - Club World
China - The Low Cost Way - Spring Airlines - SJW-CTU
China United Airlines (KN) - CTU - SJW - B737-700
Norwegian B737 - LGW-TOS-BGO-LGW
Jet Airways: LHR – COK
Barra Trip – that was not to be
Dusseldorf Calling - BA & EZY - Club/Eco - A321
Part 5: PVG-LHR - BA - Economy - B777
Part 4A&B - SHA-SJW-SHA - FM: Eco: B737
Part 3A&B : DXB-HKG-PVG: CX & KA :Eco: A333
Part 2: KWI-DXB - FlyDubai - Economy - B737
LHR - KWI - BA 747 - Part 1 - Middle East -China
Morocco Trip - LGW-RAK-TNG-LHR - EasyJet & Iberia

AirIndia

Re: Part 4: Return from Shijiazhuang on Hebei, Qatar and British Airways - India and China Trip 2019

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:20 am

Hello. Very interesting TRs. I read through all 4 in succession and thoroughly enjoyed.
1. The stark difference between Indigo and other Indian LCCs stands out strongly as a function of their size and efficiency
2. Always surprised to see so many Chinese airlines. THnaks for posting the Chengdu ARJ pic
3. Did not see the mandatory Teddy bear pic from DOH!
4. Did QR not offer a CTU-DOH-LHR connection?

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:50 am

Thank you AirIndia for your detailed feedback and comments.
1. I would agree. In the long run, this (Monopoly) may not be the best situation for an Indian consumer and I would like to see other airlines stand up on their own feet. But for now, I would probably only book IndiGo unless there are valid reasons not to.
2. Indeed! I always see something new, when I visit China.
3. Ha! I was short on time and had to get some items from the Duty Free. I did not even have to pass by it, since the place where I got dropped off, was the exact place where my BA flight was.
4. QR did, although BA was the shortest connection available, enabling me to reach London the earliest. And more so, as an AvGeek, I was interested in the inter-airline experience and this route enabled me to experience 3 of them :)

AirIndia

Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:18 am

newbief1yer wrote:
1. I would agree. In the long run, this (Monopoly) may not be the best situation for an Indian consumer and I would like to see other airlines stand up on their own feet. But for now, I would probably only book IndiGo unless there are valid reasons not to.

I share your sentiment. Other airlines are trying hard and TBH they have been aided by the demise of 9W. Lets see how the AI privatization drive pans out in 2020.

newbief1yer wrote:
4. QR did, although BA was the shortest connection available, enabling me to reach London the earliest. And more so, as an AvGeek, I was interested in the inter-airline experience and this route enabled me to experience 3 of them :)

How was the interline experience in DOH. I mean compared to other interlines that you have done before this?

Happy new Year to you and your family.

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:00 pm

1. I would not hold my breathe with AI Privatisation, but we shall see :)
4. It was seamless. Checked in my bags in Chengdu and received in London. In Doha, it was like any other transit experience.

Thanks and wishing you and your family a very happy and prosperous 2020.

VTCIE

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:06 pm

Interesting insights into one of the dozens of small Chinese airlines that do not have to cater beyond their home country. Which made it all the more surprising that Hebei Airlines was showing a Hindi film! I would like to see your experience in China’s famed high-speed rail system, as China is now the world leader in rolling out HSR networks.

The comments by AirIndia on the service of Indian airlines ring true. 6E, being the giant that it is, is an efficient machine. Following the collapse of 9W, which had one of the most well-liked onboard products of any Indian airline, others (notably UK) have tried to match or surpass its standards. It was also nice to see a review of I5 and IXC airport (with the bonus of Chandigarh city and Himachal Pradesh), which is hard to come by on A.net. Also, CA and QR’s A330s have a rather outdated product compared to the 787-9s used by VS and BA, not to mention the A330s themselves are on the older side.

Lastly, I greatly appreciate the initiative that VS and QR have undertaken to donate leftover foreign currency to children’s charities, something I have not heard of before. What we cannot use any more goes a long way in helping those less privileged than us.

Looking forward to more such TRs—it’s not often we get to hear from the experiences of an Indian husband and a Chinese wife! Happy New Year 2020!

newbief1yer
Topic Author

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:09 pm

Aw! thanks for your wonderful comments, VTCIE. Much appreciated.

Yeah. Hebei Airlines, did surprise me with the service. More noticeably and Indian drama being played on their overhead screens! I do have quite a few videos of the Chinese High Speed rail on my YouTube channel, including second, first and Business class seating.

Agreed on CA and QR outdated A330's, albeit, I did have a very good sleep on the CA A330, albeit business class fully flat beds.

Even BA have their comic relief initiative, where you can donate your left over currencies onto envelopes. They do make a great effort and come around the cabin asking for any left over change.

Thanks once again for your wonderful comments. There is a lot of time and effort invested in creating such reports, especially since Airliners.net does not make it easy to embed photos from Flickr easily :(