cframe
Topic Author

*Video Only* Alone in Business Class on Virgin Australia - twice

Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:40 pm

I had often wondered what Virgin Australia’s very short haul business class is like aboard their Boeing 737-800 - especially on the short inter-WA flights.

In August I got the chance to see for myself and experienced the Virgin Australia business class service on not one but two Boeing 737 flights in one day!

First arriving at Perth Airport to board our Boeing 737-800 to Kalgoorlie, it was early morning and still dark outside. I headed briefly to the VA lounge but then got a notification that it was time to board, so off to the gate I went.

Perth T1 Domestic is probably the nicest terminal at Perth. It’s quite big but very spacious and modern with ample amenities and lots of aerobridges so it’s easy to find your aircraft and board direct onto the plane - which is good in the winter.

For this flight, I was upgraded and I was the ONLY passenger in business class.

Boarding early, I got an opportunity to check out the cabin - both business class and economy class (as well as the extra legroom / economy X) aboard the 737-800 and then after take off enjoyed some amazing business class service on VA-1849 to Kalgoorlie.

This was a short hop of just 50 minutes and yet there was a full breakfast service offered by Virgin Australia on this short haul flight.

For me this meant a big bowl of Muesli, fruit salad, yoghurt and a fruit bun as well as a much welcome cup of coffee! But the meal choices included multiple courses (hot or cold) all while relaxing in a wide Business Class leather recliner seat with views from 30,000ft. The aircraft was a Boeing Sky Interior also which adds to the atmosphere aboard.

Landing in Kalgoorlie, I had a few hours so I took a look at the Royal Flying Doctor Service base and visitor centre. This is a brilliant place to visit and Cathy the base coordinator gave me a great tour of the heritage listed hangar and a PC-12!

Then I took a look at Kalgoorlie airport - I was visiting the airport primarily for a story I wrote for ‘Airports of the World’ magazine.

The airport is small but efficient and a pleasant enough space to stay for a few hours.

Later that day I returned to Perth on another Virgin 737.

This time I got another full cabin tour which allowed me to check out the economy cabin in detail as well as checking out the business class seats again.

On this flight - VA-1854 - I was again the ONLY person in business class and again I was amazed by the service on this one hour flight.

Service included a full lunch meal of poached chicken and salad as well as dessert. The crew were amazing and very attentive on both flights.

I also got a chance to check out the free wifi aboard and it was good enough to use for an instagram (@chriscunard) live chat from 30’000ft!

Landing in Perth was smooth and we arrived back on schedule.

I’ve made a video of this experience here: https://youtu.be/t__Y0PTJMrY
Last edited by atcsundevil on Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited in accordance with forum rules
Chris Frame | www.chriscunard.com

cframe
Topic Author

Re: *Video Only* Alone in Business Class on Virgin Australia - twice

Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:30 am

Chris Frame | www.chriscunard.com