CPS001
Topic Author

Lufthansa's newest US route: FRA-AUS in Y, August 2019 [lots of pics]

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:58 pm

Happy new year everyone! Last summer I flew Lufthansa on their newest US route from Frankfurt to Austin, in economy. This route was launched just two weeks prior to my trip, operating 5x weekly on an A330-300, and codesharing with United.

Lufthansa 468 (sold as United 8765)
Frankfurt [FRA/EDDF] - Austin [AUS/KAUS]
August 23rd, 2019
STD: 10:00 AM (CST)
STA: 2:10 PM (CST)
Actual flight time: 11 hours 14 minutes
D-AIKS, Airbus A330-343
Seat 40A, Economy Class

I was connecting off LH 759 (opby Cityline) from Chennai, which arrived at just past 8 in the morning. Walked towards the Z gates for security.

D-AIFF - Lufthansa Cityline (for Lufthansa) A340-313 (c/n 447) at Frankfurt [FRA/EDDF] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

C-FNOG - Air Canada B787-9 Dreamliner (c/n 35266) at Frankfurt [FRA/EDDF] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

D-ABVZ - Lufthansa B747-430 (c/n 29870) at Frankfurt [FRA/EDDF] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

Boarding started just past 9:20 AM at gate Z16, a bus boarding gate. The aircraft for the day was D-AIKS, a 5 year old A330-300, with 42 business seats, 28 premium economy seats, and 185 economy seats, which had not yet been painted in the new livery. It was parked at stand V164, a power-in, power-out stand near the north cargo area. Next to our aircraft was an Etihad B787-9 boarding.

D-AIKS - Lufthansa A330-343 (c/n 1497) at Frankfurt [FRA/EDDF] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

Boarding was done quickly due to a very light load. I was in 40A and had the entire row of 8 to myself. I peeked into business; it was about two-thirds full. Premium economy was full, and economy was at best 30% full. Rather surprising for the last week of summer vacation in the US.

The seat itself was pretty much standard. Legroom was fine, and there was a much more airy feel since the seat next to mine was empty. The IFE was LH's old system, more on this later.

The captain welcomed us aboard "this A-three-hundered-and-thirty" and informed us of our flying time of 11 hours and 15 minutes, with a cruising altitude of 36000 feet. Shortly after, around 10 minutes after our scheduled departure of 10:00 AM, we pulled out of the stand.

EI-DEO - Aer Lingus A320-214 (c/n 2486) at Frankfurt [FRA/EDDF] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

D-AIUE - Lufthansa A320-214 (c/n 6092) at Frankfurt [FRA/EDDF] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

Takeoff was at 10:29 AM from runway 07C. We banked left after takeoff passing over the city.

Frankfurt [FRA/EDDF] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

Frankfurt [FRA/EDDF] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

Frankfurt by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

Shortly after reaching our cruising altitude, we passed over Amsterdam.

Amsterdam [AMS/EHAM] from 36000 feet by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

Amsterdam [AMS/EHAM] from 36000 feet by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

As we passed over the UK, drinks were served. I had a Sprite which was served with the usual mini pretzels.

At this point a flight attendant announced the lunch choices, ravioli or lemon chicken. He also said there would be an afternoon tea service midway through the flight and a hot dinner just before landing.

I had the lemon chicken which came with veggies and rice, served with a basic salad and dressing, butter (but no bread), cheese (but no crackers), and a cherry pudding for dessert. I was impressed with the glassware and metal cutlery even in coach. The chicken too was surprisingly delicious, nothwithstanding the small portion size. The FA apologized for the lack of bread and crackers, and said there would be bread with dinner.

Hot drinks were offered after the meal. I had a coffee.

After the meal the FAs requested everone to close their window shades, and dimmed the cabin lights. I took a look at the IFE system, which had not been refurbished. There was a decent selection of movies and TV shows, and the screen was quite responsive. Two glaring omissions in this day and age were power outlets and USB ports, which I've seen on the refurbished systems on the A340s.

Wi-fi was available but I didn't buy any.

Midway through the flight, the "afternoon tea" was served. The flight attendants turned up the cabin lights and served...a chocolate wafer. Beverages were offered as well and I had another coffee. I thought they could have at least let pax sleep by keeping the lights dimmed, if the offering was so small.

I watched a couple of movies until about 90 minutes out of Austin when the FAs were preparing for the dinner service. Choices were beef and mushrooms or pesto pasta. I chose the pasta, which came with a bread roll and butter, and a rather disgusting mango pudding. The pasta was extremely hearty and much better than the cold sandwich I was offered on a BA flight of similar length from LHR to IAH.

Eventually the seatbelt sign was turned on and we descended into Austin, landing on runway 17R.

Austin-Executive [KEDC] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

XA-ALW - AeroMexico Connect E190LR (c/n 19000208) at Austin [AUS/KAUS] by ChennaiPlaneSpotter, on FlickrImage

We docked at the east end of the Barbara Jordan terminal where aerobridge #3 was linked up to door L1. It was a pretty long walk all the way to the west end of the terminal for CBP and baggage claim. The international arrivals section at AUS is really small, and I wonder how it will cope with 3-4 widebodies landing every afternoon this summer.

Overall it was a pleasant flight with LH. Obviously the lack of a seatmate made the journey more comfortable, but the food and IFE were solid as well. Thanks for reading, and do check out my Flickr page.

Previous trip reports:

American Airlines shorthaul + British Airways transatlantic in Y, AUS-DFW-LHR, December 2018 [lots of pictures]
To Cleveland and back: ExpressJet dba United Express ERJ-145, BOS-CLE-BOS, September 2018 [lots of pictures]
JetBlue's refurbished A320, AUS-BOS, August 2018
American Airlines longhaul Y, LHR-DFW on the B77W, August 2018 [lots of pictures]
Spotting at SFO + Virgin America (not yet Alaska!) A320 SFO-AUS, April 2018
MAA-DEL-MAA on Air India A20N and IndiGo A320, March 2018
Spotting at BLR + Jet Airways BLR-MAA, October 2017

ACCS300

Re: Lufthansa's newest US route: FRA-AUS in Y, August 2019 [lots of pics]

Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:51 pm

Great report thanks! Gorgeous clear day leaving FRA, amazing pics! Love that LH provides two hot meals in their TATL routes, I've heard this is ending.

CPS001
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:13 pm

ACCS300 wrote:
Great report thanks! Gorgeous clear day leaving FRA, amazing pics! Love that LH provides two hot meals in their TATL routes, I've heard this is ending.
Thank you! Yes in fact it ended in November 2019, now expect a cold wrap/sandwich-type snack similar to BA. Unfortunate but it is what it is.

jasoncrh

Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:51 pm

You mentioned that you traveled in August 2019 and that it was just two weeks after they started flying to Austin. That is inaccurate. Lufthansa started flying to Austin in May 2019. Otherwise, good report.

CPS001
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:06 pm

jasoncrh wrote:
You mentioned that you traveled in August 2019 and that it was just two weeks after they started flying to Austin. That is inaccurate. Lufthansa started flying to Austin in May 2019. Otherwise, good report.
Ooh yeah I messed that up. I did indeed fly the route in the other direction in May, but yes this report was of 3 months later. Thanks.

debonair

Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:32 am

The tray with the better tablewear looks like from Premium Economy, definetley not Economy!