Nordfisch
Topic Author

PQM - MEX Interjet Sukhoi Superjet

Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:08 pm

I took a trip around Chiapas, Mexico in May 2014. Therefor, the photos are not recent, I apologize for that, neither did I plan to do a trip report, so, I don't have any cabin or service shots. Being a EU Citizen, but living in Mexico City for somewhat 10 years (my wife is Mexican), I can really recommend traveling in Mexico. States like Oaxaca, Chiapas and Yucatan are perfectly safe. So are obviously the mass tourism hot spots like Cancun, Baja or Pto. Vallarta. Who likes those, well, have fun. Chiapas has become my darling state, it is really beautiful and we travel there at least once a year.

The Trip:

Flying from MEX - TGZ on Interjet, staying a week in San Cristobal de las Casas, from there taking a bus to Palenque, the most impressive Maya Site I know in Mexico. San Cristobal is located in the south of Chiapas, close to the border of Guatemala, Palenque is located in the North, so it is quite a ride (5-6 hours by bus) down the mountains. Going back to TGZ for the return flight makes literally no sense. In March 2014, Palenque opened a small Airport and Interjet offered bargain prices for their brand new route to MEX, so, we returned from there, really convenient.

The Flights:

MEX - TGZ Well, a 1:20 hour hop on a A320, not much to talk about I think.

PQM - MEX Now that was a nice flight. I never had the chance to fly on a Russian made Aircraft, so I was really looking forward to it. Palenque Airport is tiny, it was only 2 months old at the time of the trip, so it literally was clean, new and in great condition. I haven't been there since, so I can't tell if they keep it well maintained. Everything was on time, the Aircraft was also new at this point, 2x3 seating. The flight experience was great. A really quiet Airplane, comfortable, I would rate it superior to the E-Jets from a passenger perspective, because the cabin feels really spacious and the seatpitch on Interjet is in general with 34" superior to everything flying from, to and within Mexico. It is too bad that the Superjets didn't work out for them. Free choice of drink and a small of bag potato chips go along. The flight was around 1 hour, so, nothing to complain about the service.

To mention for the route was the approach passing the majestic Popocatepetl volcano, we were also lucky with the weather that day, the cloud cover gives it a nice touch.

The Ride

El "Popo"

Right before turning onto final

Gabriela is about to rotate

Home again