ClassicLover
Topic Author

Enjoying a day flight on a 777 with great views HKG-LHR in Cathay Pacific business class!

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:28 pm

For all the pictures that go with this report, please click here!

So many of the long haul flights I take are overnight, which I quite enjoy. Despite that, there is something to be said about a daytime flight where you have the opportunity to see some exquisite views along the way - if you can pull your head out of your inflight entertainment screen or device!

Recently I went back to Australia and thanks to an excellent business class fare, I was able to afford Cathay Pacific. I believe every penny was pretty well spent, because the experience is amazing... plus you get really nice food to eat!

While the Hong Kong airline is having a hard time of it with the protests and Coronavirus, this should pass soon enough. Read on to see what the experience is like on the ground and in the air. I started the day off in The Pier Business Class lounge in Hong Kong. Besides delicious Champagne, the food offering is superb. I’m a sucker for dumplings and so some were had.

There is also a noodle bar, which for me is one of my favourite aspects of the experience. I never pass through without tasting the excellent Dan Dan Noodles.

After a few hours, it was time to leave and head off to board my flight to London. It is quite a walk, as I choose to use The Pier rather than lounges closer to my gate.

CX257 – Hong Kong to London Heathrow (HKG-LHR)
28 November 2019
Boeing 777-300ER – B-KQD
Seat: Business Class 11A
Departure: 09:45 Arrival: 15:00

Boarding happens relatively quickly and soon enough I putting my bag in the overhead locker at my seat. I took the opportunity to get some pictures before sitting down. The seat is quite spacious and each one features a pillow, bedding pack and slippers, which are now offered on longer sectors. It all adds up to a luxurious experience.

A large menu is provided, and shortly after the crew offer a welcome drink. I always take the Champagne, so I was sipping my bubbles waiting for boarding to finish. Once done, we had the safety demonstration and headed into the air.

There are four breakfast options on the Hong Kong to London sector. These comprise of a Chinese option, a western option, an express breakfast and the one I selected, the Continental breakfast. I was not particularly hungry, so I wanted something light.

Featuring seasonal fresh fruit, oatmeal and pastries, it is exactly what I needed. I cleaned my plates, as I really don’t like wasting food and of course it was quite tasty. Most of the passengers elected to put their window shades down to watch movies or sleep. What they missed are the spectacular views that you sometimes get on a day flight.

When visiting the galley for a top up, I mentioned the views to the crew. They opened the window in one of the doors and by their expressions of delight, I’d say they agreed with me that it was a pretty day for flying!

Today, it is pretty standard for a business class seat to convert into a flat bed. In fact, many people would not fly on an airline in a premium class without one. Cathay Pacific recently added a seat topper and new duvet to the service, which I quite like.

Flying during the day usually means no sleep for me, however I decided to get comfortable while watching a movie on the excellent StudioCX entertainment system. Snug as a bug in a rug. Being a very long flight, there is a full second meal service before landing. Starters comprised of Thai marinated shrimp with glass noodles salad or a Sweet potato soup. I’d had the shrimp on another sector and loved it, so I chose that again.

Once again, it did not disappoint, though I wasn’t so greedy as to ask for a second one this time. It is accompanied by a side salad and bread is also offered. I love how Cathay Pacific have hot garlic bread, so that’s my go to choice. There are six choices for a main meal. I had already had the steamed black cod and the shrimp wonton with noodles in soup before, so I wanted to try something else. The grilled beef tenderloin, Cavatelli pasta and warm bean salad didn’t appeal to me, so I had the beef burger.

Happily it was very nice indeed, moist and full of flavour so it was a good choice. You can also order this as one of the four mid-flight snacks that are available anytime. They are the shrimp wonton and warm bean salad mentioned before, the burger or ice cream and other nibbles. Chocolates are offered from a box after dinner, and soon enough we landed in London on time and the flight was over.

I have zero quibbles with Cathay Pacific’s business class service. My flight from Hong Kong to London featured pleasant cabin crew who generally leave you alone during flight, excellent meals and decent entertainment. The seat itself is quite comfortable and makes for a good sleep, which I know from previous sectors. All in all, you can’t really go wrong at all using this oneworld alliance airline.

Do you fly Cathay Pacific? What do you think of the service you’ve just seen? Remember, for all the pictures that go with this report (and there are more of the views, cabin, food and more) please click here. Thank you for reading and if you have any comments or questions, please leave them below.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

TboneD

Re: Enjoying a day flight on a 777 with great views HKG-LHR in Cathay Pacific business class!

Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:20 am

Great trip report! Does Cathay have À la carte service in Business?

OzarkD9S

Re: Enjoying a day flight on a 777 with great views HKG-LHR in Cathay Pacific business class!

Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:38 pm

And I know for a fact you put all the side toppings on your burger.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

cx777fan

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:21 am

Nice report. Good to see slightly better catering in CX J these days. It used to be pretty mediocre, especially compered to the very good hard product. You're lucky they let you keep your window shades open to enjoy the view. On my last CX flight (in PE), a surly FA leant across me and slammed the shades down without a word while I was enjoying a stunning technicolour sunset.

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:43 pm

TboneD wrote:

Do you mean on demand? No, the service is at specific times on each flight and everyone is served at once.

You can get snacks anytime, which includes things like the burgers, so it's sort of available, only I was too full from the meals to snack in between.

OzarkD9S wrote:
And I know for a fact you put all the side toppings on your burger.

You are absolutely correct! :)

cx777fan wrote:
Nice report. Good to see slightly better catering in CX J these days. It used to be pretty mediocre, especially compered to the very good hard product. You're lucky they let you keep your window shades open to enjoy the view. On my last CX flight (in PE), a surly FA leant across me and slammed the shades down without a word while I was enjoying a stunning technicolour sunset.

Yes, the catering is excellent nowadays. In both taste and presentation, it is pretty flawless. As it should be really, considering what people pay for business class tickets sometimes.

Nobody said a word about my window blinds, even when I was literally the only person in the business class cabin with them wide open. I'd say they are less inclined to irritate a business class passenger than someone in the other classes. I'd really have hated to miss a sunset like that and not asking you is rude. Hopefully it was just a once off!

Thanks for the comments everyone and I'm glad you enjoyed the report!

cedarjet

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:15 pm

Cathay Pacific business class is a destination in itself. Looking forward to flying this again some day.

TboneD wrote:

The snacks are so generous — burgers, noodles etc — that it’s virtually dine on demand
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Kent350787

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:53 am

cedarjet wrote:
Cathay Pacific business class is a destination in itself. Looking forward to flying this again some day.

TboneD wrote:

The snacks are so generous — burgers, noodles etc — that it’s virtually dine on demand

Thanks for the report - nice to see CX J again. I'm hoping to travel it again in the future, although COVID-19 related cuts out of Sydney have ruined connections on some routes I'd like to fly them.

Did you have any issues with the respnsiveness of the screens? I did a couple of 77W sectors back in January and that was somewhat lacking. Mind you, daytime flight with shades open barely needs the screen :)

Also, did you notice thatthe meal service took a long, long, long time from prepping the table to your (pre-ordered) food arriving? I felt almost forgotten on one of my flights.

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:46 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
Did you have any issues with the responsiveness of the screens? I did a couple of 77W sectors back in January and that was somewhat lacking. Mind you, daytime flight with shades open barely needs the screen :)

Also, did you notice that the meal service took a long, long, long time from prepping the table to your (pre-ordered) food arriving? I felt almost forgotten on one of my flights.

The responsiveness of the screens was fine, I found. I would have commented on it if I had thought otherwise.

Same deal on the meals... the food arrived relatively quickly. From your comment, you mentioned "one of my flights" so I guess it was just a once off. That being said, it may depend on where you sit. I sit at the front so I get served quickly. With a large business class cabin, I can imagine it would take some time for those at the rear to get their meals.

Glad you enjoyed the report!

Kent350787

Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:01 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
Did you have any issues with the responsiveness of the screens? I did a couple of 77W sectors back in January and that was somewhat lacking. Mind you, daytime flight with shades open barely needs the screen :)

Also, did you notice that the meal service took a long, long, long time from prepping the table to your (pre-ordered) food arriving? I felt almost forgotten on one of my flights.

The responsiveness of the screens was fine, I found. I would have commented on it if I had thought otherwise.

Same deal on the meals... the food arrived relatively quickly. From your comment, you mentioned "one of my flights" so I guess it was just a once off. That being said, it may depend on where you sit. I sit at the front so I get served quickly. With a large business class cabin, I can imagine it would take some time for those at the rear to get their meals.

Glad you enjoyed the report!

Yes, CX139, the daytime HKG-SYD flight was the main issue, although I was in the forward cabin on a 3 class flight. CX811 BOS-SYD (4 class) immediately before was fine