jetblue01
Topic Author

JetBlue/United mechanical issue & diversion

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:51 pm

This was a trip that I took a while ago. I had it written up, but never posted it. I was going home for a few days, for Thanksgiving. I had booked myself on JetBlue and United before the semester started. On the day of the flight I got to the airport around 10pm, for my 1159pm departure.

JetBlue 136
Phoenix, AZ (PHX) – New York, NY (JFK)
Airbus A320
N645JB
Seat 3A
Scheduled Departure Time – 11:59pm
Actual Departure Time- 12:15am
Scheduled Arrival Time –6:26am
Actual Arrival Time- 6:32am
4 hours 17 minutes

The plane arrived from JFK, at 11:00pm. Once everyone had deplaned, they started making announcements for boarding. Everyone took their seats fairly quickly, and the door was closed at 11:50pm. We started to push back 2 minutes later. After sitting for about 10 minutes, we stated our taxi, towards runway 8.

N645JB

3A

Taxing to runway 8

After takeoff we climbed up to 35,000ft. Shortly after we leveled off, the flight attendants came through with drinks and snacks. After this the lights were turned down, as we flew across the country. The sun started to come up as we flew over the northwest part of Pennsylvania. Before landing the flight attendants came through with orange juice, and hot towels. Shortly after this, we started descending into JFK.

Climbing out of PHX

Sunrise

Descending into JFK

Final 31R

After a 10 minute taxi, we parked at gate 6

After deplaning, I headed to my next gate. This is where my trip started to get interesting.

JetBlue 116
New York, NY (JFK) – Syracuse, NY (SYR) diverted to Boston, MA (BOS)
Embraer E190
N192JB
Seat 11A
Scheduled Departure Time – 9:20am
Actual Departure Time- 11:00am
Scheduled Arrival Time –10:32am
Actual Arrival Time- 12:11pm
1 hour 11 minutes

N192JB at gate 10

Boarding started around 30 minutes before scheduled departure time. Once everyone had boarded, the flight attendant made an announcement. Someone had found a pair of scissors, and the police were coming to the plane. About 10 minutes later, the police showed up. Another announcement was made, that due to a weapon being found on the plane everyone would need to deplane. They were going to do a full inspection of the plane, and then we could board again. After about 30 minutes in the terminal, they started to board the plane again. As soon as everyone was on the plane, the door was closed. A few minutes later we pushed back, and started our taxi to runway 4L. After an SA A340 took off, we took the runway for departure.

Climbing out of NY

Shortly after takeoff, we made a turn to the left. Having flown this route many times, I knew this was out of the ordinary. We then made another left turn back to the southeast. The inflight map confirmed, we were in a holding pattern. The captain made an announcement, that there was a mechanical issue with the left engine. He was talking with dispatch, and he would get back to us once he knew more. After another lap in the hold, he said that we would be diverting to BOS. He would have more information once we land. The flight attendants made two announcements, reiterating what the CA said.

Diverting

About 20 minutes later, we were descending into BOS.

After landing, we taxied to a gate. Once we got to the gate, an announcement was made that they were still doing some coordination. The CA said the reason we came to BOS, was because they had a spare airplane here. He was still trying to figure out, what plane that was. 30 minutes later, we were allowed to deplane. Once everyone had deplaned and gathered in the terminal, they announced that they had a plane for us. The only issue was that it had been going to Texas. It had to much fuel, so they needed to take some off. This process would take a while, and it would be at a minimum another hour until we could board.

N203JB. The 2nd E190 of the day, from BOS – SYR

A little over an hour later, boarding started. Once everyone had boarded, we sat for a while. We would have new pilots for this flight, but the same flight attendants. Eventually the old CA made one last announcement, explaining the situation one more time. Throughout the entire diversion, the CA made many announcements and kept everyone informed on the situation. He said that he was faced with a mechanical issue with one of the engines, during the initial climb out of JFK. After coordinating with the company, they determined BOS was the best option, since it had a spare airplane. Apparently he had heard some rumors from passengers that we were close to SYR, then we flew all the way over to BOS. He said that we were equal distance from JFK and BOS, when the decision was made to divert. Nowhere near SYR. It would have been irresponsible to continue on to SYR, and that it was never even an option. He then thanked everyone for their patience, wished us a nice holiday and encouraged us all to come back and fly JetBlue again. With that, the door was closed. We pushed back a few minutes later, and the engines were started. We taxied to runway 27 and took off, after spending a little over 3 hours in BOS.

Climbing out of BOS

Eventually we leveled off, and the flight attendants came through with drinks and snacks. It was a quick 51 minute flight, and soon enough we were descending.

Final runway 10

We touched down at 4:13pm, almost 6 hours late. On the way to the gate, the flight attendant said this was his first flight out of training. He thanked everyone for being so understanding about the situation, and for making his first flight a memorable one.

Parking at gate 3

After a few days at home, it was time to head back to PHX. For the flight back, I was flying UA. When I was checking in, I got a notification, that my flight was delayed 1 hour 15 minutes. The plane was coming from ORD, and had departed late.

United Express “ExpressJet” 4532
Syracuse, NY (SYR) – Newark, NJ (EWR)
Embraer E145
N13979
Seat 23A
Scheduled Departure Time – 11:12am
Actual Departure Time- 1:28pm
Scheduled Arrival Time –12:30pm
Actual Arrival Time- 2:14pm
46 minutes

N13979

23A

Once we pushed back, the captain made an announcement that there were ATC delays into EWR. We had a wheels up time, in 45 minutes. After sitting for about 35 minutes, the engines were started. We taxied to runway 28. After holding short for a few minutes we took off, a little over 50 minutes after pushing back.

The flight attendant came through with water and pretzels. It was a short flight, and before long we were descending.

Final 4R

Since we were delayed leaving SYR, I only had a little over an hour until my connecting flight. It was a completely full flight to PHX. Boarding took a while, and the door was closed a few minutes before our scheduled departure time. A few minutes later we pushed back, and the engines were started. We taxied behind another UA 737 to runway 4L. After waiting for 5 airplanes ahead of us, we took the runway and departed.

United 1929
Newark, NJ (EWR) – Phoenix, AZ (PHX)
Boeing 737-800
N35236
Seat 26A
Scheduled Departure Time – 3:48pm
Actual Departure Time- 4:09pm
Scheduled Arrival Time –7:28pm
Actual Arrival Time- 7:26pm
5 hours 17 minutes

N35236

Taxing

After takeoff we climbed up to 24,000ft, where we stayed for the entire flight. The captain before the flight, mentioned we would be staying low due to winds.

There was turbulence for the first hour of the flight. After this it smoothed out, and the flight attendants came through with drinks and snacks. The rest of the flight was uneventful, despite some strong turbulence off and on throughout the entire flight.

We touched down in PHX at 7:26pm, 2 minutes ahead of our scheduled arrival time. It was a quick taxi. We parked at gate 3, a few minutes later.