YYCAviation
Topic Author

[PART 1/3] YYC-MNL on Air Canada and ANA

Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:00 pm

Hello everyone, this my first Trip Report post on airliners.net! This mini 3-part series consists of three flights on Air Canada and ANA, all in Economy Class.

Airline: Air Canada
Aircraft and Reg#: A320-200 (C-FMSX)
Flight Number: AC217
Class: Economy (Y)
Seat #: 27A
Flight Route: Calgary (YYC) to Vancouver (YVR)

Check-In Experience
Usually, I check-in online to save the hassle of queues at the airport. There were a total of 4 of us travelling together and the free checked baggage allowance was 2 x 23kg per person, but Air Canada did not recognize that we had a connection to an international longhaul flight and instead assumed that we were only travelling domestically. Hence, a page popped up saying we each have to pay $105 for the bags before completing online check-in.

Not wanting to pay the fee, we decided to just head to the airport and see a check-in agent to explain about the situation. The charge had also popped up on her screen but thankfully she allowed the bags to go through.

Model Airplane Shop
YYC International Airport has a model airplane shop called Who's Who at the Zoo, located in the landside area of the domestic terminal. When I'm not flying, this is where I usually go to buy model aircraft. The shop has a great variety on display but the prices, however, tend to be high.

The average cost of a plastic models here ranges between C$60-$80, while the metal ones can reach as high as C$110, depending on the scale. The airline selection is also limited to mostly North American and European airlines.

Boarding and Settling In
The flight was delayed due to the inbound aircraft coming in late from Winnipeg. Boarding was announced and we were in Group 4, which boards almost last from the rest of the passengers. The agent also stopped us and asked for three of our bags so they can gate-check them all the way to Manila with unexpected consequences.... (more info on that on Part 2 of this mini-series trip report)

Gate C57 was used for the flight to Vancouver

Onboard AC217
I don't know how many passengers' bags the agents gate-checked, but it seems like there is more than ample space for bags to fit in the overhead bins as this picture says.

The view from Seat 27A

Pushback was more than 40 minutes late, and we were in a lineup with other aircraft before we were cleared for takeoff.Image

A Rouge 767-300ER takes off before our flight.

Lining up onto Runway 17R. Soon after, we were in the air on the way to YVR.

Flight time was estimated to be a quick 1 hour and 3 minutes.

Crew and Inflight Service
I wasn't expecting much on this quick flight, and that included the flight attendant service. The purser in Business Class making the announcement was friendly; not so much by the two serving the Economy cabin.
One flight attendant with a bag of earbuds walked down the aisle and said with a monotone voice to each passenger:

"Headphones...headphones...headphones..."

While I do have my own headphones, I decided to take one to keep as a souvenir. These were offered complimentary to each passenger, not sure if that's the norm now as these usually come with a fee on Air Canada domestic flights.

Soon after, the attendants began the refreshment service. Since this flight was just a one hour hop across the Canadian Rockies, all that was offered to the passengers was a pack of pretzels and a choice of non-alcoholic drinks. Although light, it's enough for a flight of this duration.

I tried using the flight map on the IFE system, but it kept displaying an error message for over half the flight. For the time being, I just put on some music and looked out the window.

Flying over the Canadian Rockies

After meal service, I was going to hand my flight logbook for one of the flight attendants to fill up but I didn't want to bother my neighbours by standing up and crawling over them. I pressed the call button for a flight attendant but after over 15 minutes of nobody coming, I stood up and politely informed my seat neighbours who were more than happy to let me pass through.

Once at the galley, I asked one of the flight attendants to fill up my logbook. She then went to the cockpit to hand it to the flight deck crew. The other attendant and I had a small conversation to pass the time.

"Have you guys worked on flights before this one?"
"Yeah, we started in Toronto, flew to Vancouver, then to Calgary. Then this flight to Vancouver, then another flight after this one to Edmonton."
"Wow, that's a lot of flights!"
"I know, it's been a really shitty day."

I wasn't expecting that response from the flight attendant, but I guess it's understandable since they've been working 3 out of 4 flights already and have been on their feet for over 6 hours throughout the day. We continued to chat until the seatbelt sign was turned on for descent.

Landing and Arrival
During descent, the flight attendants passed through the cabin collecting any discards. The approach into YVR was a bit turbulent as well.

A couple of Asian flights to Seoul and Hong Kong later that afternoon.

A China Southern Dreamliner headed to Guangzhou

Parked at the gate at 2:15PM

Flight Deck Visit
After all the passengers have disembarked, the captain came out of the cockpit and invited me to come inside. I was able to take a picture of the A320 flight deck, as well as getting a couple of Air Canada souvenirs from the pilots.

My flight logbook all filled up was handed back to me from the pilots after the cockpit visit. The surnames of the crew have been blurred for privacy reasons.

Conclusion
It was a satisfactory flight aboard Air Canada. The flight attendants servicing the Economy cabin may not be as friendly as the chief purser serving Business Class, but they were not rude to anyone either and still managed to serve everyone on this short hop. The IFE had a good selection of films and music, however the flight map was a bit of a let down as it did not work for over half the flight. Overall, the flight was good and despite the delay, it did not impact my connection time in YVR too much.

UP NEXT IN PART 2 of 3: Vancouver to Tokyo-Haneda on ANA's 787-9 Dreamliner.