Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

YYCAviation
Topic Author

[PART 3/3] YYC-MNL on Air Canada and ANA

Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:00 am

This is the third and last flight on a long journey from Calgary to Manila. This report covers the flight from Tokyo-Haneda to Manila aboard the Japanese airline ANA, in Economy Class.

PART 2 from Vancouver (YVR) to Tokyo-Haneda (HND) can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1443253

Airline: ANA (All Nippon Airways)
Aircraft and Reg#: B787-9 Dreamliner (JA890A)
Flight Number: NH869
Class: Economy (Y)
Seat #: 33K
Flight Route: Tokyo-Haneda (HND) to Manila (MNL)

Model plane shop in Akihabara
During my overnight stopover the night before, I did a little research on some places to go in Akihabara. Surprisingly, they had a model airplane shop! The 47-minute early arrival of my flight from Vancouver yesterday was a life-saver as the hours of the shop were only until 8:00 in the evening and I would not be able to make it if the flight arrived on schedule at 6:30. It would also be impossible to go there the next day as my flight to Manila leaves at 9:45 and the shop opens at 11:00AM.

WEBSITE OF THE AIRPLANE SHOP IN AKIHABARA: https://www.top-gun.jp/

Having learned the Japanese language for 5 years now, I practiced it on the shopkeeper and managed to find what I was looking for without too much trouble. The shop had a lot of model aircraft for sale, with most of the selection being Japanese airlines. For aviation enthusiasts, especially those who collect model planes, I highly recommend visiting this shop if you ever visit Tokyo!

What I was after was the ANA Official Precision models. Apparently, these are really hard (if not impossible) to find at model plane shops across Canada and I've been waiting for 3 years to get my hands on one. I found a B777-300ER priced at ¥10,000 and put it in my shopping bag quickly, then continued to browse. Eventually, I purchased 3 model planes in total, which will be a great addition to my collection.

During the time I was there, the shop was running a promotion of 10% off the total purchase. And, because non-Japanese nationals are entitled to tax-free shopping in Japan (more info at https://tax-freeshop.jnto.go.jp/eng/shopping-guide.php), the consumption tax of 8% (now 10% as of October 2019) is also deducted from the sales price. For 18% off the total purchase, I found it to be a great deal!

The total purchase price was ¥19,890 (about $260 Canadian Dollars). Even though it may seem expensive, it was worth it as these models are rare and hard to find outside Japan, unless you want to pay for one at a sky-rocketing price on online sites like eBay or Amazon.

In total, I bought an ANA Official Precision B777-300ER and a Japan Airlines B777-300, as well as a B767-300ER.

These models do come with landing gear, and the ANA model comes with a plate with aircraft information to stick on to the wooden stand, however I did not put these on as I am bringing these home to Canada and will have to re-pack them on the last day of summer vacation.

Haneda Airport and Boarding Experience
The convenience of Haneda Airport is that is it close to Tokyo, just a monorail ride from the Yamanote Line. With ANA shifting most of their flights from Narita to Haneda, this is a great change for passengers headed to Tokyo.

It was a rather rainy day in Tokyo, and I was only able to get one picture from the observation deck before it poured down harder.

Not that many shops were open yet, especially at this hour. So after grabbing breakfast, I headed airside and went to Gate 111, where the Dreamliner was getting ready for the flight down to The Philippines.

The flight was slightly delayed and passengers started lining up before boarding was announced. The agents ensured that boarding was in an orderly fashion and let passengers with special assistance, Business Class and Star Gold members to board first before Economy passengers.

The load factor of this flight was almost full capacity. And, as expected on Japanese airlines, the majority of the passengers were Japanese.

Seated in 33K. Pushback began as soon as all the passengers were settled.

Taxi to Runway 05 took a while as it was located far away from the International Terminal.

Takeoff and Cabin Service
Soon after, the aircraft took off from Tokyo and was en-route to Manila. The seatbelt sign was turned off just 15 minutes later.

To start, cabin attendants handed out wet towels.

For the meal service, I had pre-purchased ANA's new Paid Exclusive Dining service.

MORE INFO: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/ca/serviceinfo ... ivedining/

The cabin attendant handed my meal. You can choose between a Japanese or Western option for this service. I went with the Japanese option, which consisted of grilled snapper with rice, along with salad and premium dessert. A big napkin was also provided to put on your lap to minimize food and drinks from getting into your clothes and all over the floor.

The taste was great, slightly better than a regular Economy meal, but the price was a little steep. It was ¥2500 (about $30 Canadian Dollars) to reserve the meal for the flight. Be sure to look ahead in advance on the ANA website for the menu for your flight before purchasing a Paid Exclusive Dining meal. Personally, I would use this service again but only if the menu is better than the regular meals, which can also be found on ANA's website.

After meal service, I put on the Flight Map on the IFE and listened to some music. The content was the same as my flight from Vancouver the day before, so I was able to catch up on some movies as well that I didn't get to finish watching on the previous flight.

I stood up to use the lavatory not long later. After that was done, I handed my logbook to one of the cabin attendants. Just like on my Vancouver to Tokyo flight, the crew on this flight were wonderful. Their English ability may not be as fluent as other airlines like Cathay or Singapore, but they are always ready to respond to people's requests promptly and with a smile. One of them even commented on my Japanese language ability during the meal service!

Soon after, the seatbelt signs were switched on to prepare the cabin for landing.

Descent and Arrival
Just like in Tokyo, the weather in Manila wasn't nice either. We were placed in a hold as well due to numerous flights departing and arriving in Manila.

The final approach got more bumpy on the way down. We landed on Runway 24.

There were two flights to Seoul-Incheon on the runway waiting for takeoff. One on Asiana, the other on Korean Air.

The aircraft had to be placed on a temporary stop as there was an aircraft pushing back and taxiing to Runway 24. Eventually, we continued to taxi to Terminal 3. The arrival gate was #111, which was also coincidentally the same departure gate number in Tokyo.

After the flight, the cabin attendants were happy to take a picture and also handed my logbook back. Faces and surnames have been blurred for privacy reasons.

Conclusion
It was another excellent flight onboard ANA to Manila. The cabin attendants' Japanese hospitality to the passengers was outstanding. The meal was great, and drinks were served on a regular basis despite only being a 3.75 hour flight. The seat pitch was also excellent at 34" even on this intra-Asia flight.

I'm looking forward to flying with ANA again soon.

lychemsa

Re: [PART 3/3] YYC-MNL on Air Canada and ANA

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:36 pm

Wow 34" legroom. No wonder generally they are much more than China Air etc. Fares from New York nonstop $1,250 to Tokyo vs. $800 on Air China via Beijing. I think it's worth paying extra.

YYCAviation
Topic Author

Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:16 pm

lychemsa wrote:
Wow 34" legroom. No wonder generally they are much more than China Air etc. Fares from New York nonstop $1,250 to Tokyo vs. $800 on Air China via Beijing. I think it's worth paying extra.

Indeed I agree. I would be willing to spend more just to fly with ANA not just because of the legroom, but for their consistent excellent service as well. I was originally going to book another airline, but the price difference with ANA was only $140 and to me it's definitely worth paying more for it.

impromark

Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:26 pm

Thanks for all three parts of your TR! I'm also based in Calgary and late last year I flew YYC-YVR-HND, then KIX-HKG and back. I had a great experience and your report brought back tons of memories too.

I'm surprised to hear of your luggage problems. In my experience with ANA, they've bent over backwards at the slightest hint of customer dissatisfaction, so to hear that you got beat out of what should be a standard allocation is baffling. I'm glad it didn't sully your overall experience though!

And I've also been to Top Gun in Akihabara - it's a truly fantastic place and the ONLY shop I've been able to find some of the same models you have, plus the more common ones that you'd also find at the YYC Zoo shop. I've got a model of ANA's 787-10 Dreamliner on my shelf now and am so happy with it. :)

I hope you'll post more!

Mark

YYCAviation
Topic Author

Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:13 am

impromark wrote:
Thanks for all three parts of your TR! I'm also based in Calgary and late last year I flew YYC-YVR-HND, then KIX-HKG and back. I had a great experience and your report brought back tons of memories too.

I'm surprised to hear of your luggage problems. In my experience with ANA, they've bent over backwards at the slightest hint of customer dissatisfaction, so to hear that you got beat out of what should be a standard allocation is baffling. I'm glad it didn't sully your overall experience though!

And I've also been to Top Gun in Akihabara - it's a truly fantastic place and the ONLY shop I've been able to find some of the same models you have, plus the more common ones that you'd also find at the YYC Zoo shop. I've got a model of ANA's 787-10 Dreamliner on my shelf now and am so happy with it. :)

I hope you'll post more!

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for reading!
Good to hear that you're also a fellow Calgarian :D

As for the luggage problem, I think it's more to do with Japanese companies in general than ANA itself. Polite, efficient and excellent service but also very inflexible when something outside of the rulebook happens, at least in my experience.

Top Gun is definitely an aviation enthusiast's place to go to shop for model planes, especially the Japanese airlines which are so hard to find here in Canada! However, ANA FESTA in Haneda Terminal 2 also has tons of ANA Official Precision models and logo souvenirs; and JAL BLUE SKY in Haneda Terminal 1 has a shop exclusive for JAL models and souvenirs as well. Will definitely check those out next time I visit Tokyo.