YYCAviation
Topic Author

Is MH really Malaysian Hospitality? Malaysia Airlines to KUL in Economy

Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:20 am

Selamat Datang and welcome to another trip report! This report will be on Malaysia Airlines, an airline I've never flown before. I've flown AirAsia in the past, now I want to see how Malaysia's flag carrier is like as this will be my first time flying with them. So, does their IATA code MH really stand for Malaysian Hospitality? Read on to find out.

Airline: Malaysia Airlines
Aircraft and Reg#: B737-800 (Negaraku Livery; 9M-MXS)
Flight Number: MH807
Class: Economy (Y)
Seat #: 27A
Flight Route: Manila (MNL) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL)

Check-In and Boarding
Due to the traffic congestion on the way to the airport, I arrived approximately 1.5 hours before the flight was due to leave. The check-in desk took a little bit of time to find as passengers were spread throughout all areas of the departure lobby.

Check-in was fast, and I asked the agent if the flight was full. She said it was not and that I am free to move to any available row to have a bit more room. During check-in, she also asked if I had a return ticket back to Manila, as well as to Canada as Canadian nationals are only allowed 30 days visa-free stay in the Philippines. I showed her the tickets respectively and she gave the all-clear and continued the check in process.

The immigration line was a bit packed, especially the Foreign Passport line as there were two flights to South Korea departing around the same hour as my flight to Malaysia. Security was after passport control, and shoes had to be taken off and put into the machine.
The terminal does not have much to offer on airside, apart from duty-free shops and pricey little cafés.

There was also an announcement that the flight was delayed to 1:30PM, which was 40 minutes after the departure time. For the time being, I decided to planespot around the terminal.

Spot the Queen of the Skies?

Two B777-300ERs headed to other parts of SE Asia.

Soon after, the aircraft from Kuala Lumpur pulled up at the gate. Surprisingly, it was the only 737 in the Malaysia Airlines fleet to feature the Negaraku livery.

The passenger load on this flight was only about 65%, and I was able to secure an entire row to myself, albeit close to the back of the plane. The purser greeted the passengers coming aboard by name, which was a nice touch.

Departure
When I tracked the inbound flight on FlightRadar24, it landed on Runway 06, which is only about a 5-minute taxi time from where the plane was parked. However, our plane was now due to take off at Runway 24, located at the other end.

The cabin interior looked nice and modern, plus the ambience was great. Mood lighting was turned on during taxi to the runway.

This isn't a comforting sight to see.....

A British Airways A380 in the hangar.

After waiting for an A320 to land, our aircraft was now headed to Malaysia.

Flight progress after takeoff on the Flight Map function.

Crew and Inflight Service
The seatbelt sign was turned off and the cabin crew began their duties. For the meantime, I checked the seat pocket contents. It contained a Going Places magazine, safety card, airsickness bag and Temptations duty free catalogue.

Blankets and headsets were also placed at every seat during boarding, even for this short 3.5-hour flight.

A bit of turbulence occurred and the seatbelt sign was switched on. The meal service started after the chops lightened up a bit.
For the meal, the choices were chicken or fish. Since I was seated close to the back of the plane, I was expecting for one of the choices to run out. When the crew member came to my row, it was that case indeed.

"Excuse me sir, here is your meal. I'm sorry that we ran out of chicken and we only have fish left."
"Oh, that's okay. I was gonna get the fish anyway, no worries."
"Thank you sir for understanding, how about I give you a second serving of the main course?"
"Oh, really?"
"Absolutely!"
"Ok, sure. Thanks!"
"You're welcome, sir. Enjoy your meal."

They ran out of chicken but since I'm more of a seafood person, it was not a problem with me as I was going to opt for the fish anyway.

The crew member came back two minutes later with a second serving of the entrée.

Drinks were served from the cart after the meal was served. I opted for Sprite and coffee for the drink. I was told they can't serve hot drinks as the seatbelt sign was on, but they promised to serve it as soon as it's turned off. After the trays were collected, I gave my logbook to one of the crew members to fill up.

For the time being, I explored the inflight entertainment. The selection was extensive and it even had Malaysia Airlines fleet information.

Light chops were happening throughout most of the flight.

Before the flight, I was looking through the Temptations website to see if there's any Malaysia Airlines merchandise for sale. Interesting enough, there was an A350 model plane for only RM250 (about $80 Canadian Dollars). I pre-ordered it and got a 10% discount on my invoice for purchasing online.
A cabin crew came and confirmed to me about my purchase. Not long later, I was handed my duty free item pre-ordered on the Temptations website.

I browsed through the Temptations catalogue and found the item listed there as well.

Here it is all put together after the flight.

Sometime after, one cabin crew member came to my seat and inquired about my flight logbook. We then had a conversation about aviation, Malaysia Airlines and her career as a cabin crew member. She was also thrilled to know that I plan to pursue a career in the aviation industry and was telling me the perks of travel and seeing the world. She was also proud of her job and worked for Malaysia Airlines for over 20 years, even during the times when the Boeing 777s were still flying around, as well as when the airline still served destinations like Los Angeles and Frankfurt, which have now been terminated.

Despite the two unfortunate incidents that turned the airline's reputation into a path that no other airline wants to go through, the onboard service and hospitality shown by these crew members has now made Malaysia Airlines one of my preferred carriers to/from Malaysia. She then excused herself to attend to another passenger. When she came back, she gave me something that I wasn't expecting at all.

"We would like to thank you for flying with Malaysia Airlines and hope your first experience onboard was memorable. Hope to see you again on another MH flight soon."

She then gave me a bag full of souvenirs that are exclusively from Malaysia.

"Do you have time to spare after the flight or do you have a connection?"
"No, Kuala Lumpur is my final destination."
"Do you want a flight deck visit after landing?"
"Yes, I would love that! Thank you."

Overall, based on this experience, it's safe to say that MH really does stand for Malaysian Hospitality!

The cabin crew dimmed the lights for passengers to rest, while I explored the IFE for the remainder of the flight.

The seatbelt sign was switched off after three hours of turbulence, and the cabin crew served my coffee as promised! This was short-lived, however, as it was only about 30 minutes left until landing.

Descent and Arrival
Soon after, the aircraft began the descent to Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

Arrival time was 5:37PM, which was 37 minutes behind schedule.

After all the passengers have disembarked, the purser invited me to the cockpit where I met the two pilots. We all had a great laugh and took pictures. I was also able to get a good shot of the 737-800 flight deck.

The cabin crew handed back my logbook and we all took pictures before saying our goodbyes. The faces and surnames of the crew have been blurred for privacy reasons.

"Is this the last flight of the day for you all?" I asked.
"No, actually. We have two more flights to do. One to Langkawi and then back to Kuala Lumpur."
"Oh, ok. Have a great flight ahead then! Your service on this flight was wonderful!"
"Thank you, sir. Hope to see you onboard again soon!

One last look at the aircraft that flew us all the way from Manila. It will now be off to Langkawi then back to Kuala Lumpur later that same evening.

It was now the usual arrival procedures. Time to spend 4 days in this wonderful country before flying to my next destination: Singapore.

Conclusion
This experience on Malaysia Airlines was absolutely wonderful. Crews went above and beyond to ensure that the passengers are well-looked after. The meals were tasty as well and it was a nice flight to Kuala Lumpur despite the delay. Is MH really Malaysian Hospitality? In my experience, absolutely without a doubt!

outbackair

Re: Is MH really Malaysian Hospitality? Malaysia Airlines to KUL in Economy

Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:11 am

Wow! You had amazing cabin crew!

pollitt1985

Re: Is MH really Malaysian Hospitality? Malaysia Airlines to KUL in Economy

Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:24 pm

I like that you were given some treats from the crew to take away, but Bonne Maman jam isn't from Malaysia
https://www.bonne-maman.com/