Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

YYCAviation
Topic Author

A Great Way to Fly: SIN-MNL on Singapore Airlines in Y

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:00 am

This is part two of my journey from Kuala Lumpur to Manila (via Singapore) on Singapore Airlines.

Airline: Singapore Airlines
Aircraft and Reg#: B787-10 Dreamliner (9V-SCI)
Flight Number: SQ918
Class: Economy (Y)
Seat#: 63C
Flight Route: Singapore (SIN) to Manila (MNL)

Transit in Changi Airport
Normally, most people would choose connecting flights with layovers not exceeding 4-5 hours, but since I wanted to explore Changi Airport, and fly on SQ's Dreamliner, I chose the last Singapore Airlines flight to Manila. This gives me a layover in Singapore for 9 hours - more than enough time to explore.

One place I wanted to check out during transit was Jewel, however it was located landside, and I had to pass through immigration to go there. They asked for my onward boarding pass before stamping my passport as they wanted to know why I was entering Singapore for only 9 hours. Once there, I found a place to sit down and go on my laptop for a little bit while enjoying the ambience.

As the afternoon approached, I grabbed a bite and entered the departure gates area. Changi is a great airport for planespotting without having to go outside onto the observation deck (though you can if you want to). I started spotting in Terminals 2 and 3 as most of the SQ aircraft use these terminals.

An SQ 77W headed to London-Heathrow.

After catching a couple of Singaporean carriers, I headed to Terminal 1 to planespot for foreign airlines. The great thing about Changi Airport is that you can even switch terminals airside thanks to the SkyTrain.

Time was running out on my layover, so I headed back to Terminal 2 where my flight will be departing. Honestly, if there's an airport I would always choose to transit over and over again, Changi would be one of those airports!
Stupid pole had to get in the way!

Boarding and Departure
Around 6PM, passengers began to line up in front of the gate area and wait for security inspection to begin. Electronics (including laptops) were to be taken out and put into a basket before going in the scanner. One of the passengers had a small conversation with me after seeing my Canadian Passport.

"Are you from Canada?"
"Yes, I am."
"Wow, you must have had a long trip then!"
"Actually, I arrived here just this morning from Malaysia. I flew in from Canada about two weeks ago."
"Oh, ok. When are you flying back to Canada?"
"After a few weeks."
"I see, well enjoy your time here!"

We continued chatting for a few more minutes until the gate opened up for security inspection. The line moved fairly well as there were two lanes opened. Judging by the number of people, it seems like this was going to be a flight with a pretty good load. And right I was, i asked if there was empty row but the agent said that the flight was completely full.

A shot of the plane used for the flight tonight.

Boarding began at 6:50PM. and I was one of the few people to board first in Economy Class as they boarded back to front. This was the first time I would be flying again with Singapore Airlines after 5 years. Down the jetbridge, a table with earbuds was set up for Economy Class passengers to take.
This was the only window shot I can take as I was seated in the aisle.

Boarding was done not long after, and the aircraft pushed back one minute ahead of schedule.

The IFE screen was the largest I've seen in Economy Class so far. There was no handset, but the touchscreen function was good.

The lights were dimmed as the safety video was played, and the crew passed out hot towels to the passengers. It's getting rare to find airlines that still do this in Economy Class.

Takeoff was only 10 minutes after departure, and soon after the flight was en-route to Manila.

The earbuds that were collected at the jetbridge during boarding. While they did the job, I still prefer the regular headsets that other airlines still use. One advantage of these earbuds, though, is that you can use them with your own personal device after the flight.

Inflight Service
An hour after takeoff, the meal service began. The attendants served from back to front for the rear Economy cabin. Choices were chicken or beef. SQ has also eliminated menus in Y as well, at least for this route. I opted for chicken, with tea and Sprite for the drink.

The meal was good overall, but nothing to really rave about. In my experience, ANA serves the best meals in Y class.

...or maybe I just love Japanese food too much...

After the trays were collected, ice cream was handed out for dessert.

I then explored the KrisWorld IFE, which had a really extensive selection of entertainment. My favourite movies were available, however given this flight duration, I won't be able to complete watching all of them. After completing one film, I put on the Flight Map and music in the background.

View of the cabin mid-flight.

I then stood up and went to the back galley, where I handed my logbook to one of the crew. The flight attendants on this flight were professional doing their jobs and responded to passengers' requests promptly. The two stewardesses serving my side were nice and friendly, even making small talk with the passengers.

About 3/4 into the flight, I looked at the KrisShop catalogue and saw two items for sale.

Since I still had Singapore Dollars, I decided to purchase one. I pressed the call button and a stewardess came over.

"Yes sir, how may I help you?"
"I would like to purchase this A350 model, please. Is it available onboard?"
"Let me check and I'll get back to you."

She left to go to the back galley. A few minutes later, she returned.

"Unfortunately, the A350 model is not available. We do have the Dreamliner though."
"Ok, I'll get this one please."
"Certainly, I'll be right back."

It cost S$59, and the purchase came with a pack of complimentary playing cards.

Descent and Arrival
The captain came on the intercom to announce descent and to expect a delay due to congestion and weather conditions around Manila.

The crew prepared for landing and lights were dimmed. My logbook was returned and I asked if it was ok to have a picture with the crew after landing, to which they happily agreed.

The flight was scheduled to arrive at 11PM, but it was already past that time as the aircraft circled over Manila for more than 20 minutes before landing on Runway 24. As soon as we exited the runway, the rain began to pour much harder. The aircraft had to hold its position on the taxiway for 15 minutes before we eventually pulled up at Terminal 3, more than 35 minutes behind schedule.

During disembarkation, the crew member invited me to go to Business Class, where the pilots of the flight were also there. We had to be quick though, as the flight arrived late and the crew were scheduled to fly back to Singapore the following morning on SQ915. While waiting for the rest of the passengers to disembark, I took a couple shots of the Economy cabin of the Dreamliner.

The crew were professional during flight, but switched to speaking Singlish with each other when it was time for the pictures after landing, much to my delight! We took a couple pictures and one of the crew members was shy to join in.

"Come on, lah! Join in the picture!" One of the stewardess motioned her and she finally joined. We all had a fun time!

After taking a few pictures of me and the crew, I asked to take one of the crew serving the Economy cabin for memory, and they agreed.

The wonderful crew of SQ918.

We bid goodbyes and I headed to immigration. Even though it was close to midnight, it was crowed as an Emirates flight from Dubai landed around the same time as our flight. Baggage claim didn't take too long and soon after, I was a the arrival lobby.

As soon as I saw the SQ crew enter the arrival lobby, a lot of people turned their heads their way and looked at them as they walked to their shuttle bus. The iconic Sarong Kebaya uniform of Singapore Airlines almost always never fails to grab the attention of people at airports, and this certainly was no exception!

Conclusion
It was definitely A Great Way to Fly onboard Singapore Airlines to Manila. The Dreamliner aircraft was great, and the IFE selection was one of the best and most extensive selection I've seen so far. The meal was okay, but still edible. The crew were nice and professional throughout the flight. Even though ANA will still be my favourite airline to fly with, Singapore Airlines is definitely a close second.

blandy62

Re: A Great Way to Fly: SIN-MNL on Singapore Airlines in Y

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:39 am

Nice report. Flay on SQ 787-10 a few months back between SIN and HKG. Definitly a very nice plane. And yes SQ is definitely a great way to fly. They might not be what they used to, but they are still miles away from most airlines in term or service