Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

YYCAviation
Topic Author

FEVER ONBOARD! All Nippon Airways NH178: Tokyo-Narita to Seattle in Y

Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:35 pm

This is the second flight out of a long trip back home to Canada from Asia. This report covers ANA's TPAC flight from Narita to Seattle onboard their Dreamliner in Y class.

Airline: ANA (All Nippon Airways)
Aircraft and Reg#: B787-8 Dreamliner (JA813A)
Flight Number: NH178
Class: Economy (Y)
Seat #: 23K
Flight Route: Tokyo-Narita (NRT) to Seattle (SEA)

NOTE: As of this posting, ANA has shifted a lot of its North American flights to originate at Haneda now instead of Narita. NRT-SEA is now suspended and has now moved to HND-SEA.

PART 1 from Manila to Tokyo-Narita can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1443589

Transit and Boarding Experience
It was now 4:45PM, and the terminal seemed rather busy at this time of hour as all the flights from North America and Southeast Asia have now arrived and passengers were transferring to those flights. In the meantime, I went to TAX FREE AKIHABARA shop to pick up my pre-ordered duty free. I bought multiple boxes of Japanese sweets, including Tokyo Banana and Ginza Strawberry Cake for ¥5858. While not cheap, these snacks are so good and it's very hard, if not impossible, to find these in Canada.

In the meantime, I took a couple pictures of planes while waiting for boarding.

I went to the ANA connection counter to print out a new boarding pass and asked how full the flight was. Just like my previous flight from Manila to Narita, this flight was also 100% full so I cannot secure an empty row.

The flight was delayed by over 40 minutes thanks to late arrival of the aircraft. On ANA's flights to the US, random checks are made and many passengers have been pulled over to inspect their belongings. In addition, each passenger was asked by a ground staff member a series of security questions before placing an ANA sticker on their boarding pass. Without this sticker, passengers cannot board until after the security questions have been asked.

The aircraft used for the flight.

It was now dark when everyone was settled. The passengers on this flight were a mix of transiting passengers from Southeast Asia, but the majority were Japanese.

This Dreamliner aircraft is very low-density, with a total of just 184 seats.

My brother and I were travelling together, and since we each wanted as much room to stretch out as possible, I strategically placed him on the H seat and me on the K seat during online check-in, hopefully keeping the middle seat empty. It did not work unfortunately, as the flight was full. We had a nice, young Japanese passenger occupy the J seat. Legroom was excellent at 34", which is a few inches more than what other carriers offer and certainly makes a huge difference in terms of comfort.

Pillows, blankets and headsets are provided in the seat for this long flight.

The flight time was estimated to be just under 8 hours.

Here are two A380 Flying Honus. Both are bound for Honolulu later that evening.

Taxi was rather long and takeoff was delayed due to several aircraft departing at the same time.

We were cleared for takeoff after turning onto the runway. One thing I've noticed flying with ANA is that they never turn off or even dim their cabin lights during nighttime takeoffs and landings. Hence, I could not get a good shot during takeoff as the lights were kept on full bright and glaring on the picture.

Crew and Inflight Service
After takeoff, wet towels were handed out to the passengers.

Cabin attendants then began the service. They handed out rice crackers and drinks. I opted for Kabosu and apple juice.

After the picture above was taken, the Kabosu juice slid off the tray table and spilled all over my lap, blanket and pillow. Some even spilled on my seatmate as well. I kept saying ほんとすみません to him but he was chill and had a good laugh about it. The cabin attendant asked if I was okay and gave me a new blanket and pillow, as well as a cup of Kabosu juice. She also tried to look around the cabin for another empty seat but was unable due to the full load after checking the passenger manifest. I told her it's okay but I do appreciate her trying to find me another seat.

The meal service started as soon as the aircraft is out of Japan and over the Pacific Ocean.

Before the flight, I was looking at the inflight menu on the ANA website and found the regular meal choices good but none of them involved seafood, which I generally prefer to eat over chicken, beef or pork. I ordered a Paid Exclusive Dining meal for ¥2500 as that one involved seafood.

The meal was superb, although the price of this meal did not really make my wallet happy. For the drink, I got a Sprite and Asahi Japanese beer, as well as a bottle of water already included in the meal tray.

Häagen-Dazs ice cream was distributed by the crew to each passenger before the trays were collected.

The lights were then dimmed a little to let passengers settle in for the long flight ahead.

Soon after, my brother was beginning to develop a fever and called one of the CAs. Cabin Attendant Hong (Kanda) was very accommodating and got a thermometer. It was a little amusing as it didn't seem to wanna work. After multiple attempts at calibrating it, she was a little shocked when she saw the temperature.

"Eh? This is a bit high!" She then left for a bit then came back with a couple of medicines. She was humourous and even joked a little while treating him.

"I'll show you the Japanese way of dealing with fevers and making sure you'll feel better soon!"

She then stuck two cooling pads; one on his forehead and the other on the back neck. My seatmate, along with other passengers around our row, turned their heads our direction and were wondering what was going on.

When it was time to take the medicine, Kanda accidentally spilled the cup of water, knocking the rice crackers off my brother's tray table and even got the blanket wet. My brother told her it's okay and she kept her humour the whole time.

"That's two drink spills now that happened on this row. I wonder when the third one will be..." She jokingly said and we had a good laugh. She then cleaned the tray table and offered a new blanket and a cup of water for the medicine.

Around every hour, Kanda would check on him to see how he's doing. She kept taking temperatures and it slowly started to go down. I didn't take any pictures this whole time as I felt it would be rude.

After a quick visit to the lavatory, I gave my logbook to Kanda and asked if it's ok to have a picture with the cabin attendants after landing.

"Absolutely! I'd like people to have a fun time onboard! Make yourself at home!" she said with a smile.

I slept for a good three hours, and by the time I woke up it was now daylight and the aircraft was nearing Seattle.

Cabin Attendant Kanda then came to my seat with information regarding my requested picture with the cabin attendants.

"Good morning, sir. Hope you slept well. I have spoken with the chief purser and she told me that we cannot get a picture after landing as this flight is delayed and the crew on the return flight to Narita are waiting and don't want to delay this flight even further. However, I don't want to disappoint you so we can take the picture after the meal service in the rear galley if you like." she said and I agreed. Even though, I won't be able to have a picture with them with the cabin as the background, it's still better to have it in the galley than no picture at all.

"Thank you sir. So, what will happen is we will serve you your meal shortly, enjoy your meal, and just come find one of us when you're ready for the picture."

The second meal served. It consisted of salmon flakes, egg and rice. This one one of the best breakfast meals on a flight I've had.

I opted for green tea and Kabosu juice for the drink.

Now as if it were coincidental (again), my seatmate spilled his drink and some went over me as well as the blanket. At this point, everybody in the row was laughing as we were all spilled with drinks throughout the flight. He pressed the call button and CA Kanda came over. When she was told what happened, she laughed along with us.

"These tray tables really need to be re-designed! I'll get you a new drink, sir. No worries at all." she said to my seatmate in Japanese and went to get a new drink for him. All in all, there were a total of three drink spills throughout the flight.

Before the flight, I pre-ordered two items from ANA SKYSHOP. Two bears; each one dressed as a pilot and cabin attendant, as well a golf ball set. The purchase price was ¥7000, plus I earned 70 miles on my ANA Mileage Club account.

While I don't play golf or collect plush toys, I purchased these items as they would go great with my ANA memorabilia collection.

After the meal service, and with about 45 minutes till landing, I went to the back galley and told one of the CAs that I was ready to take the picture. Kanda and three other cabin attendants were genuinely excited with my interest in ANA and posed for the picture. I thanked them afterwards.

"Why not take a picture of us too! You can show your aviation friends in Canada how ANA is like and recommend them to fly with us!" one of the CA's enthusiastically suggested and I agreed. I then took a picture of them as well.

The outstanding crew of NH178. Kanda is the cabin attendant on the very right. I asked her if her name was Kanda as her name badge read Hong, and she told me that she is actually Korean, not Japanese and that Kanda is her Japanese name.

The Economy Class purser (who I regret forgetting her name) was the one wearing pink in the picture. She was the one who filled my logbook and also loves aviation personally, not just as a cabin attendant. She has worked with ANA since 2016 and is looking forward to hopefully getting promoted to chief purser in just two years. I told her about my aviation friends in Canada who all have never flown a Japanese airline before, let alone ANA.

"Really? Well, they're gonna love every part of the flight as much as you do! If they ever go to Japan, please recommend them to ANA!"

My aviation friends in Canada only have flown mostly North American airlines, particularly WestJet. I'm sure they'll be in for a huge treat once they fly an Asian airline.
I asked for a selfie with her and she agreed happily. I got out my phone and put some selfies of us on my Snapchat story, as well as sending them to my aviation friends in Canada.
Not long later, the chief purser went to us and thanked me personally for flying ANA. She also wished me good luck in becoming a future airline pilot and even recommended me to join the airline in the future. She then saw my phone.

"You're taking pictures without me?" she jokingly said and joined in on another selfie with me and the Economy purser.
After a few more minutes of chatting, they continued with their duties and I returned to my seat just in time for the seatbelt sign to turn on and prepare for landing.

My flight logbook was returned, along with ANA stickers and souvenirs courtesy of the awesome cabin crew.

Descent and Arrival
Soon after, the aircraft began its descent into Seattle.

Taxi to the gate only took around 5 minutes, and the chief purser was still able to complete the landing announcements in Japanese and English with less than a minute to spare before the aircraft was fully parked at the gate.

Despite the late departure in Narita, the aircraft arrived at the gate at 11:30AM, only 5 minutes behind schedule. Final shot of the Economy cabin during disembarking.

Conclusion
This flight was one of the best flights I've took. The meals were great, the seats were comfortable and the IFE was decent, but the highlight of this flight was the crews' excellent service to the passengers. All the CAs were happy and ready to serve the customers and always with a smile. Looking forward to have future flights on ANA in the future.

UP NEXT: The flight home! Seattle to Calgary on Alaska Horizon's Embraer 175 in Y.

outbackair

Re: FEVER ONBOARD! All Nippon Airways NH178: Tokyo-Narita to Seattle in Y

Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:28 pm

Somewhat overdramatic title. From the reaction, obviously a while ago! But great trip report anyway.

caleb1

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:04 pm

Most of the images are not visible.

atcsundevil

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:51 am

caleb1 wrote:
Most of the images are not visible.

They're all visible for me. It could be your browser.

AR385

Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:34 am

That´s gotta the most amazing cabin crew I´ever heard of.

brucetiki

Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:35 am

That crew make me want to fly ANA one day. Brilliant report
The early bird catches the worm, the late bird will be featured on a You Tube video

AMS18C36C

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:26 am

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed reading your trip reports!

evangrady64

Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:23 am

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, it was a bad but also funny coincidence that all of the drinks in your row were spilling all over. However, the flight crews were very professional and friendly in handling passenger needs. I hope that someday I will get a chance to fly with ANA.

YYCAviation
Topic Author

Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:51 am

evangrady64 wrote:
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, it was a bad but also funny coincidence that all of the drinks in your row were spilling all over. However, the flight crews were very professional and friendly in handling passenger needs. I hope that someday I will get a chance to fly with ANA.

It was pretty funny I thought to have everyone in the row be spilled with drinks. Luckily, my seatmate was very understanding and we all had a good laugh about it afterwards.
Do give ANA a try! All my flights with them were staffed with crews giving excellent service to the passengers, which makes ANA my #1 airline to fly with. Thanks for reading!

YYCAviation
Topic Author

Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:52 am

AMS18C36C wrote:
Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed reading your trip reports!

You're welcome. Thank you for reading!

YYCAviation
Topic Author

Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:53 am

brucetiki wrote:
That crew make me want to fly ANA one day. Brilliant report

Thanks for reading!

YYCAviation
Topic Author

Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:54 am

AR385 wrote:
That´s gotta the most amazing cabin crew I´ever heard of.

Definitely agree with you on that. Thanks for reading!

evangrady64

Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:40 pm

YYCAviation wrote:
evangrady64 wrote:

It was pretty funny I thought to have everyone in the row be spilled with drinks. Luckily, my seatmate was very understanding and we all had a good laugh about it afterwards.
Do give ANA a try! All my flights with them were staffed with crews giving excellent service to the passengers, which makes ANA my #1 airline to fly with. Thanks for reading!

Sure, I will look forward for that chance, thank you for the reviews.