Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

YYCAviation
Topic Author

REGIONAL HOPPING: Alaska Horizon ERJ-175 from Seattle to Calgary

Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:20 pm

After a longhaul flight on ANA across the Pacific, it was time to board the last flight of the itinerary that will take me home to Canada. The airline for this flight is Alaska Horizon, an airline I will be flying for the first time.

The previous TPAC flight on ANA can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1443687

Airline: Alaska Airlines (operated by Alaska Horizon)
Aircraft and Reg#: Embraer 175 (N639QX)
Flight Number: AS2068
Class: Economy (Y)
Seat #: 14D
Flight Route: Seattle (SEA) to Calgary (YYC)

Transit and Boarding Experience
So far, Seattle is one of the easiest US airports I've transited through. I was back at the airside area after getting my boarding pass at the transfer desk, then found a quiet place to nap near the gates as I was still pretty tired after getting off the ANA flight that took me here.
Boarding for the flight was also delayed by 30 minutes, but as soon as it was called people began lining up. One thing I like about this kind of boarding process is that ramps are used, not jetways. Personally, I prefer boarding like this as it gives a good view of the aircraft up close.

Departure
The cabin of the ERJ-175 may seem smaller, but I like it better than an A320 as the seating configuration is less cramped.

There was no PTV in the seatback, but there was complimentary entertainment streaming, as well as free texting which I used to keep in touch with friends as I was flying.

Pushback was behind schedule, and taxi to the runway took quite a while as there were many flights departing as well.

After about a 25 minute wait, the plane was en-route to Canada.

It was a nice afternoon for flying over Seattle.

Inflight Service
The flight time was estimated to be just over an hour, but the service did not feel as rushed on my YYC-YVR flight on Air Canada's A320 thanks to the smaller plane. Choices of drinks were offered as well as Biscoff cookies.
The cookies were great! Probably one the best snacks served on a plane.

Afterwards, I gave my logbook to one of the flight attendants. The crew on this flight were professional, albeit a little reserved. Not overly friendly, but not rude either and they were happy to accommodate any requests.

For parts of the flight, I looked out the window and saw that it was starting to become a little cloudy outside.

Descent and Arrival
Not long later, it was time for descent into YYC International. When the plane entered these clouds, it was complete turbulence until final approach.

The familiar sights of NE Calgary were visible once the plane exited the clouds. Based on the view, I figured we were touching down on Runway 17L.

Touchdown on the runway.

Taxiing to the International Terminal didn't take a while, and we were parked near a WestJet Dreamliner, the newest aircraft type to enter their fleet.

After landing, the flight attendant handed me back my logbook but wasn't able to complete everything. She then offered for me to come to the flight deck, where the first officer was more than happy to fill the rest up.

There was no line at immigration with the exception of the passengers from the flight as we were the only international arrival so far that landed. The process for baggage claim, immigration and customs didn't take more than 30 minutes and I was out in the arrival area afterwards.

Conclusion
It was a nice hop over the rockies on Alaska Airlines. The snacks were great, crew were good and the free texting option was certainly a great feature to pass the time. Looking forward to fly on Alaska again sometime in the future.