Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Dazed767
Topic Author

One last ride on the Canadian fat boy - Air Transat A310 YQB-FLL

Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:00 pm

Takeoff, walk through and landing video.
https://youtu.be/XXXKsdq6zNI

March 17, 2020
Air Transat
Airbus A310-300 C-GTSY
YQB-FLL
Seats 22K and 7K

Something I mulled over for months, finally became a reality. I got in the day before, just as things with Covid-19 became more serious and Canada started to close it's border and ban entry to most foreigners. Boarding started at 06:45 and the closer we got to boarding, I started to realize this was going to be an empty flight despite what the seat map said the night before. Boarding began with Zone 1 and the 19 or so people at the gate boarded, leaving just 2 of us. So I walked up and said you can skip zones 2-5 because 6 and 7 are here.

We pushed back on time at 07:15 and de-iced, then proceeded to runway 06 for our nearly 4 hour flight to FLL.

With a total of 21 passengers I was able to get plenty of photos and video. For a flight with no wifi or PTV it was a fast 4 hours. Crew was beyond excellent and friendly, old style seats were plush and more comfortable than the new modern slimline seats, the Poutine was warm and the beer was cold. My expectations weren't high, knowing this is a leisure airline, but overall I was pleasantly surprised with the comfort of the A310 and Air Transat.

Unfortunately C-GTSY would be retired 10 days later. The final A310 (GSAT) would be retired on 31MAR2020, one month earlier than planned due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

blandy62

Re: One last ride on the Canadian fat boy - Air Transat A310 YQB-FLL

Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:10 am

Thanks for the report. You are really lucky you managed to get a last ride on an A310 in 2020. I guess the chance will probably not come back. I have always loved flying the A300/A310. My last A310 was on PIA PEK-NRT in 2014 and last A300 KKC-BKK with TG in 2013

mke717spotter

Sat May 02, 2020 4:59 pm

Glad you got one last flight on a venerable aircraft type, and I'm hoping to do the same with DL's MDs as they too are being prematurely retired because of the pandemic. I never got the chance to fly aboard a A300/A310, nor the 727, the latter of which I'm particularly bummed about missing out on. That meal you got looks interesting to say the least.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

F9Animal

Sun May 24, 2020 6:42 pm

Poutine!!! I fell in love with poutine when I traveled through NE Canada a few years ago. That poutine they served you looks boring!! Now, if I could just find a good recipe and try to make this at home!! Yum!!
I Am A Different Animal!!

VapourTrails

Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:17 am

blandy62 wrote:
Thanks for the report. You are really lucky you managed to get a last ride on an A310 in 2020. I guess the chance will probably not come back.

Yes, I second that. This was a special flight - glad you documented it. I liked the read, photos, and the video. The de-icing process is interesting, have yet to experience that as pax.

I also liked the way the Steam Whistle Pilsner can matched the green on the wing! :biggrin:

Cheers. :wave: