Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Scintillating Summer 2018 (19 - last one): Back to base on the CRJ-700ER! (ORD-FAR OO3146 Aug '18, pics & VTR)

Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:06 pm

SkyWest Airlines OO3146 (as American Eagle AA3146)
Chicago O'Hare International Airport, IL, USA (ORD/KORD) to Fargo Hector International Airport, ND, USA (FAR/KFAR)
August 17th 2018
Departure: 1328 hours CDT, Arrival: 1524 hours CDT
Seat 20D, Main Cabin
N744SK, Fleet No. 744, 14.9 years old Boeing 747-400 Bombardier CRJ-701ER
1st flight on the CRJ-700ER! :D
4th flight on American Eagle
5th flight on SkyWest Airlines
12th flight on a CRJ family of aircraft
Route: PMPKN NEATO DLLAN RONIC BAE J34 ODI J36 FAR
#106 video Trip Report on YouTube
FlightAware tracker Link

FINALLY, THE ELUSIVE CRJ-700!
The final flight! It had all boiled down to this. Just the one CRJ-700 flight for me, a new subtype! For those of you who may remember I have had bad luck with logging the CRJ-700 aircraft. Some of my past attempts:

A SkyWest flight from Fargo to Minneapolis, my first time back to India in the fall of 2015, CRJ-700 switched to a CRJ-200.
Another SkyWest flight, this time from Grand Forks to Minneapolis, another switch to a CRJ-200, summer 2017.
That same summer, a Mesa Airlines flight from Washington DC to Minneapolis, a CRJ-700 swapped to a E175.
For the bigger I guess, summer 2017.

How likely would it be that my first CRJ-700 would be swapped? I stupidly thought that the CRJ-200 would not have the legs to fly between Chicago & Fargo… that was until I remembered literally 3 seconds later that I was on an Air Wisconsin CRJ-200 on the exact same route. For what it was worth, it was a fine flight.

The more rational me looked up SkyWest Airlines’ fleet composition: CRJ-200s only operated for United Express & Delta Connection. However, 58 of the 100 CRJ-700s were flying for American Eagle. Perfect, as long as SkyWest were slated to operate the flight, I was on course to log in my first CRJ-700 flight.

CRUCIAL CONNECTION #6: O'HARE
Fast forward to T-24 hours as I showed in the last part, the online check in confirmed a CRJ-700. N744SK, fleet number 744, unfortunately not quite a 747-400, but a CRJ-700, would take me over back to Fargo, the end of a crazy trip.

1hr04min may seem like a reasonable layover in Chicago, but you just never know! In addition, I wasn’t overly confident of American’s 767 taking me from Miami in to O’Hare getting in on time. I was wrong, however. AA2796 docked at the gate at 1225 hours, one minute behind schedule and I was off the airplane just 5 or 6 minutes later. AA3146 would depart from Gate G1B: I didn’t have too long for planespotting, but whatever it was were mostly RJs. In addition, this was a last minute gate change too as AA3146 was originally supposed to depart from G13 anyway, so it wouldn’t be as bad a walk.

BOARDING
Promptly a boarding announcement was made 28 minutes before departure, it was generally fairly orderly, and not much of a line clogging the jet bridge.

Mall receipt boarding pass

Hooray no crowd!

ONBOARD
I was onboard at 1307 hours, 21 minutes to departure, and the flight attendant was quite cheerful & welcoming which is always nice to see. I believe it was just her, Susan. All six seats in First Class were taken, and the rest of the cabin filled up too. I walked all the way back to seat 20D, to a rather sickly seat mate. For as sickly the seat mate was, and for as tired as I was, there was quite the chirpy and talkative NDSU bound freshman, quite excited for the next phase of their life. Just like the CRJ-200, and unlike the CRJ-900, the cabin felt cramped. I wanted to get this flight over with quick and was looking forward to getting back to ND.

Cabin looking a whole lot like Envoy's offering(s)

A quick announcement from the flight deck: it would be a 1hr18min flight across (LOL, and I thought a CRJ-200 wouldn’t make it. Ha, ha ha ha…..) at 36000 feet, and decent weather at Fargo.

Pretty soon I noticed that there wasn’t a whole lot of activity on the ground - as in the people. 10 minutes after the usual announcements happened, 3 minutes past departure time another announcement came around, this time for a delay! What had gone wrong?

A DELAY BECKONS
The Terminal Area Forecast (TAF) did call for a thrunderstom in the vicinity, however not all forecasts are as (in)accurate as the ones that GFK: the storm did come in, rather lightning was seen not too far off from the field, to the southeast. We’d be delayed for the next 20 or 30 minutes because all ground personnel were required to get off of the ramp: our plane was fueled up and loaded with bags, we just needed to get going.

Finally, a delay! And a pretty minor one at that. I looked at what AA’s policy was with regards to lightening: 5 mile radius of the field and use of headsets was barred, 3 mile radius and every one had to be off the ramp. This reminded me of a delayed boarding Dad had to face a month and a half prior due to thunderstorm & lightening at Winnipeg: he was on a WestJet B737 MAX 8 to Toronto!

I looked at the radar and the cell was in fact just 2 miles away, so this was a much required precaution. Everyone was delayed, for what it was worth, including AA2796 back to Miami. Except that it was delayed by an hour instead of the majority being 25-30min delays.

DEPARTURE
Not much happened of course. As the storm tracked further east/southeast and away from ORD we pushed back at 1336 hours a delay of 28 minutes. Fired up both engines and we were on our way to runway 9R.
Start Up video

Air Wisconsin side of things
Image]

Over to the Delta side

GoJet, I think?

Several other airplanes were in the sequence unsurprisingly, mostly regional jets in line for departure. It was quite the sight seeing T tail after T tail launching in to the sky!

Lined up and took off at 1412 hours for the quick hop across. Turned west fairly soon and climbed up to 36000 feet. Unlike most of the American and American Eagle flights so far, this flight did not have the usual pre-recorded announcements.
Take Off Videos

INFLIGHT

Feeling tired and well in to jet lag season I started to go in and out of several naps. The sickly seat mate headed to the restroom on several occasions, too. Service started just fine with the usual pretzels or cookies, I had the pretzels with a sprite, we were 33 minutes in to the flight.

Scrolled through to see what the entertainment options were since the longer CRJ-200 does offer wIFE. I must have fallen asleep during the descent preparations, the bumps during our negative climb ensured that I woke right up, however.

WiFi plans

EnRoute

A touch delayed

Service

Seatback pocket stuff

Safety card of the lengthy CRJ-200

Overhead

DESCENT & ARRIVAL

Fairly soon the smoky skies over Fargo welcomed us - the wildfires from Canada not doing us any favors.

Lined up with Runway 36 just fine and touched down at 1536 hours after a flying time of 1hr24min. Would you believe it, this trip actually finally came to an end! Announcements happened, we docked at Gate 3 at 1539 hours, a delay of 16 minutes.
Landing video

Air Wisconsin grounded

I thanked Susan for the flight, she wished me a good flight: the pilots were getting ATIS as they’d be waiting to receive clearence back to Chicago O’Hare soon.

Thank you N744SK!

Kittyhawk

Baggage claim - just our flight

Waiting waiting

My suitcase got to Fargo too and while waiting for my ride I saw N744SK, the 747-400 that isn’t, depart back to Chicago. Here I was a month ago on a chilly morning waiting for AA3418 to Dallas Fort Worth. What a trip, what a trip!

DOG!

This flight itself was fine: sure, we departed 30 minutes late, sure we got there 15 minutes late - but the flight back got to it’s gate just 10 minutes late at O’Hare. For the sake of passengers they probably made their connections just fine.

Crop dusting enroute GFK, ft. Smoky Skies

CONCLUSION
January 2016, fog delays in India jeopardizing my flight back to the USA.
August 2016, an unknown 2.5 hr delay from Munich to Chicago threatening my connection to MSP.
December 2016, the trip hadn’t even gotten started and the flight from FAR to ORD was delayed by 5.5 hours, I made it home 2.5 days late.
May 2017, weather in New York delayed me 4.5 hours
December 2017 snow Grand Forksprevented me from leaving on the scheduled day, but I made the international flights just fine.
On the way back, January 2018 and a delay due to frozen fuel trucks meant that my last couple of flight’s home were no fun.

As you can tell, my run of bad luck has been something else but I have been able to learn so much more from it: one thing being booking on as few itineraries as possible, at least that guarantees the airline will put you on track. Short connections on different tickets are almost certainly a recipe for disaster. That’s why I needed to get to Miami on time, that’s why I needed TK716 to hurry up. Having more knowledge of flight operations over the past 2 years I believe I have been able to calm down a lot more: several more flights were taken in the past year, and just having a more relaxed attitude with regards to traveling just makes traveling so much better. I was glad to have seen it largely work out in my favor. I was excited to see what the future held for me, flights wise!

I logged several new airlines, airports and a few new sub types this trip…
New airlines in Turkish Airlines, Thai Airways, Thai Smile, Cambodia Bayon Air, Bassaka Air
New airports in Dallas/Ft Worth, Miami, Istanbul, Bangkok, Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville, Siem Reap, Atlanta
And new sub types with finally logging the A320neo and finally getting the evasive CRJ-700.
19 new registrations from 19 flights bringing my new registration streak up to 27.
A new country in Cambodia, new experiences, new lessons, a new outlook. This was an awesome trip, and I am so happy to have made it all work.

In the mean time folks, please stay safe. Quite an uncertain run we are in right now, and I hope everyone from individuals to massive airlines and everything in between pulls through. One thing is for certain: I will be using this down time to create more content and hopefully catch up with the flight reports, and I promise you there is several to come! Starting with, once again, the video trip report for this flight.

Until the next series,

CA

My trip reports:

Scintillating Summer 2018 (18): Domestic Flight on American's 767-300ER (MIA-ORD AA2796 Aug '18, pics & VTR)
(video trip report)
Scintillating Summer 2018 (17): 31 year old Mad Dog! Delta MD-88, Atlanta to Miami (Aug '18, pics & VTR) (video trip report)
Scintillating Summer 2018 (16): Half a day in the air, Turkish's awesome A330! (IST-ATL Y Aug '18, pics & VTR) (video trip report)
Scintillating Summer 2018 (15): Turkish Airlines A330-300, The Trek Back... (BOM-IST Y Aug '18, pics + vids) (video trip report)
Scintillating Summer 2018 (14): Air India's NEW A320neo! (Kolkata - Mumbai AI676) (pics + videos, Aug 18) (video trip report)
Scintillating Summer 2018 (13): The Race Against Time... TG A333 BKK-CCU Y (pics + videos, Aug 18) (video trip report)
Scintillating Summer 2018 (12): My Shortest Flight on a wide body - TG A333 PNH-BKK Y (pics + videos, Aug 18) (video trip report)
Scintillating Summer 2018 (11): The $27 FSC - Bassaka Air's A320 Siem Reap - Phnom Penh (SEVERAL pics + videos, Aug 18)) (video trip report)
Scintillating Summer 2018 (10): Adventures of the Xian MA60! (many pics, PNH-KOS-REP Y, Aug 18) (video trip report)
Scintillating Summer 2018 (9): Fly Smart, Fly Sabai, Fly Thai Smile! (BKK-PNH Y A320 Aug '18, pics + video) (video trip report)
Scintillating Summer 2018 (8): Purple plane, purple plane! Cambodia bound on Thai's A330 (CCU-BKK Aug '18, pics + video) (video trip report)
Scintillating Summer 2018 (7): The Final Leg Home - jetlag jetlag jetlag! (Vistara A320 DEL-CCU Jul '18, pics + video) (video trip report)
Scintillating Summer 2018 (6): #NotJustAnotherNEO - Vistara's Premium Economy! (BOM - DEL Jul '18, pics + videos) (video trip report)
Scintillating Summer 2018 (5): Was That My Last Flight on Jet Airways?! (A330-200 DEL-BOM Y Jul '18, pics + videos) (video trip report)
Scintillating Summer 2018 (4): Tantalizing Turkish - a missed connection? (777-300ER IST-DEL Y, Jul '18, pics + videos) (video trip report)
Scintillating Summer 2018 (3): Turkish Delight! (777-300ER MIA-IST Y, Jul '18, pics + videos) (video trip report)
Scintillating Summer 2018 (2): American Airlines' Refurbished 777 (DFW-MIA Y, Jul '18, pics + videos) (video trip report)
Scintillating Summer 2018: Envoy Air ERJ-175 FAR-DFW (Y, Jul '18) + BONUS Air Force One & Thunderbirds (pics + videos)
(video trip report)
A, B, C & E of airplanes: A Spring Break in NYC (4): The Comfortable CRJ?! (UA4851 ORD-FAR Mar '18 Y)(video trip report)
A, B, C & E of airplanes: A Spring Break in NYC (3): Red Eye hub-to-hub on the A320 (UA2139 EWR-ORD Mar '18 Y)(video trip report)
A, B, C & E of airplanes: A Spring Break in NYC (2) - DeIcing Delays; The Big Boeing 777! (UA1995 Y ORD-FAR Mar' 18)(video trip report)
A, B, C & E of airplanes: A Spring Break in NYC (1) - United Express/ExpressJet ERJ-145LR (UA4082 Y FAR-ORD Mar' 18)(video trip report)
Wobbly Winter '17/18 (11): The cramped CRJ conundrum (DL3896 MSP-GFK, CRJ-200LR Jan '18)(video trip report)
Wobbly Winter '17/18 (10): Frozen Fuel Truck - uncertainty ensues! (DL461 JFK-MSP, B717-200 Jan '18)(video trip report)
Wobbly Winter '17/18 (9): BA's logo jet, the uncertainty of NYC's winter storm! (BA173 LHR-JFK, B747-400 Jan '18)(video trip report)
Wobbly Winter '17/18 (8): The Red Eye 747! (BA142, DEL-LHR, B747-400 Jan '18, pics)(video trip report)
Wobbly Winter '17/18 (7): Vistara's amazing Business Class! (UK778 CCU-DEL A320 Jan '18, pics & video TR)(video trip report)

*NO FLIGHTS* Wobbly Winter '17/18 (6): Himalayas, Palam Air Force Museum, Heavily Delayed Rajdhani Express
Wobbly Winter '17/18 (5): Fly Smart? Not quite: The GoAir Debut! (G8128 CCU-DEL A320 Dec'17, pics & video TR)(video trip report)
Wobbly Winter '17/18 (4): Efficient Air India! (AI401 DEL - CCU B787 Dec'17, pics & video TR)(video trip report)
Wobbly Winter '17/18 (3): Elegantly British? (BA143 LHR-DEL B747-400 WT Dec'17, pics & video TR)(video trip report)
Wobbly Winter '17/18 (2): A British Concorde, A British Queen! (BA116 B747-400 World Traveller Dec'17, pics & video TR)(video trip report)
Wobbly Winter '17/'18 (1): Insane tailwinds to the Big Apple! (DL A319 MSP-JFK Dec '17 Y, pics & video TR)(video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (10): Software glitch'd? (SkyWest Delta CRJ-200ER, MSP-GFK, Jun '17, w/pics & video TR)(video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (9): Yet no CRJ-700 for you! (IAD-MSP UA E175, Y, Jun '17)(video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (8): A tale of 2 Etihads - electronics BANNED! (B77L/B789, BOM-AUH-IAD, Y, Jun '17)(video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (7): Jet's extended range B737 (9W472 CCU-BOM, Y, pics & vids)(video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (6): Delays galore, inefficiency ensues! (SpiceJet, B737-900ER, SG517 BLR-CCU, Y)(video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (5): Missed opportunity with Jet's A330 (BOM-BLR, Y, B73H, May '17) [pics & video TR](video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (4): Short flight on the Etihad A380! (AUH-BOM, Y, May '17) [pics & video TR] (video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (3): Elegant Etihad? (JFK-AUH, A380 Y, May '17) [many pics & video TR] (video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (2): No MD-88 for you! (MSP-LGA, DL Y, May '17) [pics & video TR]] (video trip report)
A (slightly) unlucky summer '17 (1): No CRJ-700 for you! (GFK-MSP, SkyWest Delta) [pics & video TR] (video trip report)
Spring Break 2017 - To the Pacific Northwest! (AMTRAK, BC, Idaho, NO flights!)
Winter Break 2016/17 (9): The Final Hop Home (AA Eagle ERJ-145, ORD-FAR, Jan '17, Y) (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016/17 (8): Ultra long haul with Etihad (AUH-ORD, Y, Jan '17) (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016/17 (7): Enticing Etihad to Abu Dhabi! (CCU-AUH, Jan '17, Y) (video trip report)

Winter Break 2016 (6): My last flight on Jet Airways' ATR (GAU-CCU, Y, Dec '16) + Scintillating Sunderbans (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016 (6): My last flight on Jet Airways' ATR (GAU-CCU, Y, Dec '16) + Scintillating Sunderbans (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016 (5): Konnecting to Kaziranga (S24363 B73H CCU-GAU Y, Dec '16) (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016 (4): Take us home, Qatar Airways! (QR540, DOH-CCU, Y, Dec'16) (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016 (3): Long haul middle seat - our first flight on Qatar Airways! (QR28 MAN-DOH, Y, Dec'16) (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016 (2): Pencil Jet across the Atlantic (AA54 MAN-ORD, Y+, Dec'16) (video trip report)
Winter Break 2016 (1): The Frozen Embraer Delay - missed connection! (FAR-ORD, Dec '16) (video trip report)
Thanksgiving '16 in the Sin City - My Allegiance with N891GA, to divert or not to divert (LAS-GFK Nov '16) (video trip report)
Thanksgiving '16 in the Sin City - My Allegiance with Allegiant! (Part 1, many pictures) (video trip report)
The day I flew the world's most popular plane (GFK-FAR-CKN-GFK, C172)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 14: Delta Connection, a quick hop in the Midwest! (MSP - GFK, Aug '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 13: Super old, Super 80, Mad Dog Across the Midwest! (AA ORD-MSP, Aug'16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 12: Flying the Friendly Skies... (United Munich to Chicago, Aug '16)) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 11: Epic Lufthansa, Epic A340! (Delhi to Munich, Aug '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 10: Konnect, Lite, Delight...(S2 B73H CCU-DEL, Aug '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 9: Take me home, Vistara! (DEL-CCU, Jul '16) (video trip report)[/color]
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 8: Vistara's INAUGURAL flight out of Kolkata! (CCU-DEL, Jun '16)) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 7: Efficient IndiGo! (Mumbai to Kolkata, A320, May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 6: Big delays, cracked windshield, angry passengers (SG CCU-BOM B73J) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 5: Air India's domestic Dream)liner (DEL-CCU May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 4: Nearly First Class - stories of the empty A380! (LH FRA-DEL May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 3: World's longest jet, Lufthansa's B748i! (ORD-FRA May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 2: ChicaGO on United's A319! (MSP-ORD, May '16) (video trip report)
Summer '16 trek back home - Part 1: Sun rise onboard the long range CRJ (DL GFK-MSP CRJ-900, May '16) (video trip report)
The pencil jet(s) for spring break! (+ Iron Maiden bonus): Delta MSP-FLL-MSP, March '16 (DL1608 video trip report, DL2027 video trip report)
De-iced & Delayed, cold onboard a CRJ! (ORD-MSP-GFK on Delta, Jan '16) (ORD-MSP video report) (MSP-GFK video report)
Delta's aged B767-300ER across the Atlantic! (CDG-ORD in Y, Jan '16) (video report)
Air France's NEW Economy (B777-200ER, Bengaluru to Paris, Jan '16) (video report)
Delays and despair: stressed out in the middle seat! (Jet Airways B737 Mumbai - Bengaluru, Jan '16)
Air India's hybrid babybus from Kolkata to Mumbai (Jan '16, Y) (video report)

South Africa 3: 12 days in Scintillating South Africa (Kruger, Kulula and Rand Airport, Apr' 12, LONG!)
South Africa 2: Elegant Emirates Economy! (DXB-CPT, B77W, Apr '12)
South Africa 1: My first flight on Emirates, my first flight on the 777 (CMB-DXB, Apr '12)

International transit with Jet Airways (BOM-MAA-CMB, Oct. '11)
Konnecting to Bhubaneswar (9W BOM-BBI-BOM, Jul '11)
Three trips between India and Sri Lanka (9W BOM-CMB-BOM: Jun '11, Jul '11, Oct. 11)
To India's Orange City: Mumbai - Nagpur - Mumbai on Jetlite & Tadoba National Park (May 2011)
My last flight on Kingfisher Airlines (and 2 other Jet flights, May '11)

KLASM83

Re: Scintillating Summer 2018 (19 - last one): Back to base on the CRJ-700ER! (ORD-FAR OO3146 Aug '18, pics & VTR)

Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:06 am

I largely regard ship 744 as my stalker jet, as somehow it always found a way into my life, from when I ramped and nonreved, to MSFS, and even now lol

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Re: Scintillating Summer 2018 (19 - last one): Back to base on the CRJ-700ER! (ORD-FAR OO3146 Aug '18, pics & VTR)

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:26 pm

KLASM83 wrote:
I largely regard ship 744 as my stalker jet, as somehow it always found a way into my life, from when I ramped and nonreved, to MSFS, and even now lol

Haha, that's pretty funny!
I bet she's grounded now because of COVID...

KLASM83

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:16 pm

CollegeAviator wrote:
KLASM83 wrote:

Ship 744S seems to be still plying the skies, getting ready to make a TYS-ORD run at the time of writing. Random observation seems that the RJs are still going.

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 4:41 am

KLASM83 wrote:
CollegeAviator wrote:
KLASM83 wrote:

Ship 744S seems to be still plying the skies, getting ready to make a TYS-ORD run at the time of writing. Random observation seems that the RJs are still going.

That is interesting. I heard that DL are also mostly flying their A220s, compared to the other planes in the fleet...

KLASM83

Sun May 03, 2020 4:15 am

CollegeAviator wrote:
KLASM83 wrote:
CollegeAviator wrote:

That is interesting. I heard that DL are also mostly flying their A220s, compared to the other planes in the fleet...

It's such a cheap airplane to fly, it seems. I think when airlines are in an ordering mood, they will order them in droves. This basically proves it to me. At least we'll have a nice 2-3 airplane out there. #RIPtheMadDogs

CollegeAviator
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 4:26 pm

KLASM83 wrote:
CollegeAviator wrote:
KLASM83 wrote:

It's such a cheap airplane to fly, it seems. I think when airlines are in an ordering mood, they will order them in droves. This basically proves it to me. At least we'll have a nice 2-3 airplane out there. #RIPtheMadDogs

Will certainly miss them Mad Dogs - am happy to have logged some flights on them!