Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

jrfspa320
Topic Author

From Melbourne to Cairo, the multi-stop itinerary with QF, MH and RJ

Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:53 am

Warning: Lots of pictures

Intro:

Melbourne to Cairo on Qantas Economy with Royal Jordanian business class.
I wasn’t planning on writing this up, but since I’m sat here in COVID isolation, it seems perfect timing and I’m sure there will sadly be a lack of upcoming trip reports. This trip dates back to December 2018, so some of the details will be hazy and ill let the pictures do most of the talking.
I was heading to Egypt to meet up with some family for a holiday over the Christmas break. I found a great deal on Royal Jordanian business class ex KUL, returning to BKK, so I tee’d it up with an economy ticket on Qantas from my home in Melbourne into KUL and out of BKK. The trip consisted of a week doing sightseeing around Cairo and a week relaxing in a resort in Sharm El Sheikh. total of 11 sectors just over 31,000kms. Slightly crazy but playing into my Av geek routings.

Imagemap by Jono, on Flickr

22 December 2018 MEL – SIN QF35 Airbus A380-800
Scheduled 12:20 – 17:05 (7:45)

I arrived at the Qantas first class check in area around 2.5 hours before the flight and asked to be checked through only as far as SIN. QF won’t check through separate tickets but I knew MH will, and since I have a longer connection time in SIN, I thought would be sensible to do it there rather than KUL. As always formalities were completed quickly and I made my way through to the Qantas first lounge thanks to my Platinum status.
I started with a hearty breakfast as I hadn’t eaten yet and was feeling hungover from the work Christmas party the night before!

QF A380 to LAX with the new ANZ A321 NEO pushing back to Auckland
ImageIMG_8497 by Jono, on Flickr

QF First Lounge breakfast menu
ImageIMG_8498 by Jono, on Flickr

The works!
ImageIMG_8499 by Jono, on Flickr

My A380 tail with a rare VA A320 heading to Kalgoorlie
ImageIMG_8500 by Jono, on Flickr

First lounge furnishing.
ImageIMG_8501 by Jono, on Flickr
The lounge was rather busy, unsurprising for the time of year with many people jetting off. The QF first lounge is always pleasant although sometimes the service needs a little prompting. I actually prefer the MEL lounge to SYD, being smaller and more intimate.

ImageIMG_8502 by Jono, on Flickr

Old school departure board
ImageIMG_8504 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8505 by Jono, on Flickr

JQ 788 with speedtape around the nose cone
ImageIMG_8506 by Jono, on Flickr

Prior to boarding
ImageIMG_8507 by Jono, on Flickr

4 engines 4 long haul
ImageIMG_8508 by Jono, on Flickr

Small upstairs galley at the back of the bus
ImageIMG_8509 by Jono, on Flickr

It was a fairly uneventful economy flight, and passed by fairly quickly. Service wasn’t the best ive had but daytime flights up to Asia are relatively painless.

Crew seats
ImageIMG_8510 by Jono, on Flickr

Small upstairs economy section
ImageIMG_8511 by Jono, on Flickr

Pre landing snack of steamed buns.
ImageIMG_8512 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8513 by Jono, on Flickr

Landing into a typically hazy Singapore dusk
ImageIMG_8514 by Jono, on Flickr

Picture of the old school skybeds
ImageIMG_8515 by Jono, on Flickr

Changi skytrain
ImageIMG_8516 by Jono, on Flickr

Tails at T2
ImageIMG_8517 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8518 by Jono, on Flickr

On arrival at Changi, I picked up by bag and made my way landside to T2 to the MH check in. I was checked through to CAI.

22 December 2018 SIN – KUL MH616 Boeing 737-800
Schedule 19:30 – 20:30 (1:00)

With only a little time now till the flight, I couldn’t be bothered going back to T1 for the better oneworld lounges, so went for a quick bite at the SATS contract lounge. Its very forgettable, so left after a short time.

ImageIMG_8519 by Jono, on Flickr

I'm rather fond of MH and always enjoy flying with them.

Scoot airbii next to our retrojet
ImageIMG_8520 by Jono, on Flickr

Selamat Datang!
ImageIMG_8521 by Jono, on Flickr
Very simply service for the short hop to KUL.
ImageIMG_8523 by Jono, on Flickr

Arriving into KULs main terminal
ImageIMG_8524 by Jono, on Flickr

22 December 2018 KUL – BKK MH796 Boeing 737-800
Schedule 22:00 – 23:10 (2:10)

As both flights were from the main terminal, I went to the MH regional lounge, which I actually quite like. At this time of night the lounge was quiet with only a few regional departures left. I had a shower and a bite to eat.

ImageIMG_8525 by Jono, on Flickr

Bathroom
ImageIMG_8526 by Jono, on Flickr

Dining room
ImageIMG_8528 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8529 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8530 by Jono, on Flickr

Late night departures out of Terminal 1
ImageIMG_8532 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8533 by Jono, on Flickr

738 taking me up to BKK
ImageIMG_8534 by Jono, on Flickr

Business class leg room from row 1
ImageIMG_8535 by Jono, on Flickr

Old 747 classics
ImageIMG_8536 by Jono, on Flickr

The crew were lovely as always and very polite. The catering was rather poor however and I left most of my meal

ImageIMG_8538 by Jono, on Flickr

Old school recliner seats for the regional flights
ImageIMG_8539 by Jono, on Flickr

BKK airport is far from my favorite, with poor facilities, long walks and being hard to navigate. With a short transit I ducked into the provided lounge which was surprisingly the Thai business class lounge. It was packed with no seats, and poor offerings, so I walked out again and went straight to the gate.

A blurry picture of BKK

ImageIMG_8540 by Jono, on Flickr

23 December 2018 BKK – AMM RJ183 Boeing 787-8
Schedule 00:20 – 04:40 (9:20)

Was glad to be on the long haul Dreamliner for the overnight flight to Amman, and a lie flat bed for some sleep. Was looking forward to trying the long haul business product on RJ.
The service wasn’t bad, the crew seemed genuine, but it certainly wasn’t QR standard either. The hard product was a bit lacking mainly in no direct isle access which is a bit of an expectation these days

ImageIMG_8542 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8543 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8544 by Jono, on Flickr

I skipped the dinner service as I wanted sleep as soon as possible, and managed to get a few hours of decent sleep before arriving into the middle east. Simple breakfast offering.

ImageIMG_8545 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8546 by Jono, on Flickr

Picture of my 787 after arriving from BKK

ImageIMG_8551 by Jono, on Flickr

Short haul Embraer’s at the adjacent gate

ImageIMG_8552 by Jono, on Flickr

23 December 2018 AMM – CAI RJ501 Embraer E-195
Schedule 06:45 – 08:15 (1:30)

Arrived just ahead of schedule into a dark Amman, the transit process is a little chaotic but getting through the screening early helped a lot. Upon checking the screens, seems there were major issues with all flights significantly delayed. Joy. Still at least I had lounge access. The delayed ended up being around four hours which isn’t great after a long day and night of travelling. The terminal in Amman is modern and quite pleasant although I did get pretty bored and walk around for a long time. The lounge is fairly basic and the offerings are fairly dismal.

Architecture of the Norman Foster designed terminal

ImageIMG_8550 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8549 by Jono, on Flickr

Oh dear ☹

ImageIMG_8548 by Jono, on Flickr

The crown lounge in AMM

ImageIMG_8556 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8557 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8559 by Jono, on Flickr

After what was a painfully long wait, boarding was finally underway. It was a bus affair, but was excited to tick off the final member of the the E jet family, the 195.

A320 heading to Rome.

ImageIMG_8567 by Jono, on Flickr

E-175

ImageIMG_8568 by Jono, on Flickr

Our E-195
ImageIMG_8569 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8570 by Jono, on Flickr

3 abreast in business class
ImageIMG_8572 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8573 by Jono, on Flickr.

The routing was interesting, heading directly south towards Aqaba before turning right into Egypt, avoiding Israeli airspace. There service was nice with a decent Arabic breakfast served with coffee.

Some interesting aircraft stored / maintained at AMM:
ImageIMG_8575 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8576 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8577 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8578 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8579 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8580 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8581 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8582 by Jono, on Flickr

Amazing scenery during the short flight
ImageIMG_8583 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8584 by Jono, on Flickr

Gulf of Aqaba
ImageIMG_8585 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8586 by Jono, on Flickr

The sprawl of Cairo
ImageIMG_8588 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8589 by Jono, on Flickr

Taken from the terminal
ImageIMG_8590 by Jono, on Flickr

The arrival process was fairly simple in terms of immigration, but alas no bag appeared at the reclaim. My heart sank and I was slightly regretting my complicated itinerary.

Nevertheless I didn’t let it spoil my time in Cairo, and had a good week exploring before heading onto Sharm.

28 December 2018 CAI – SSH NP53 Airbus A321-200
Schedule 11:40 – 12:45 (1:05)

Nile air flies out of the basic terminal 1, with little facilities available, but the process was fairly simple.
Views of the tarmac:

ImageIMG_8703 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8704 by Jono, on Flickr

Nile Air Airbii
ImageIMG_8705 by Jono, on Flickr.

The ex Spirit A321 was in reasonable shape, and pretty full of tourists and Egyptians heading to the red sea resort town.

ImageIMG_8706 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8707 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8708 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8709 by Jono, on Flickr

There was actually a decent service for the short flight of a juice and sandwich.

ImageIMG_8710 by Jono, on Flickr

After a fantastic two weeks in Egypt, it was time to head home directly to Melbourne from Sharm. It was going to be a long journey! Alas I was still minus my luggage….

4 January 2019 SSH - CAI NP54 Airbus A321-200
Schedule 13:40 – 14:45 (1:05)

The same aircraft would take me back up to CAI.

ImageIMG_8759 by Jono, on Flickr

In arrival in CAI
ImageIMG_8761 by Jono, on Flickr

The terminal transfer process was actually pretty simple with a skytrain.

ImageIMG_8762 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8764 by Jono, on Flickr

Had time to kill so had a coffee at the café outside Terminal 3

ImageIMG_8765 by Jono, on Flickr

4 January 2019 CAI - AMM RJ506 Boeing 787-8
Schedule 20:00 – 21:15 (1:15)

I checked in at the RJ desk, who could check me as far as BKK. This time I only had hand luggage…..

EK 777 heading to DXB
ImageIMG_8768 by Jono, on Flickr

Saudi A330
ImageIMG_8769 by Jono, on Flickr

This flight had been up gauged to a 787 which I was happy about! There was 2 RJ 787 heading to CAI within 30mins ! Not sure why.

The other RJ 787 heading to AMM.
ImageIMG_8770 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8772 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8773 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8774 by Jono, on Flickr

View of the RR engine
ImageIMG_8775 by Jono, on Flickr

Decent meze for the short flight to AMM
ImageIMG_8776 by Jono, on Flickr

On arrival into AMM
ImageIMG_8777 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8778 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8783 by Jono, on Flickr

It was a rather long layover in AMM (a timetabled one this time), and couldn’t wait to get onto the aircraft to sleep

5 January 2019 AMM - BKK RJ182 Boeing 787-8
Schedule 01:25 – 14:25 (8:00)

ImageIMG_8784 by Jono, on Flickr

About to push back
ImageIMG_8785 by Jono, on Flickr

I got woken up by the sun glaring down on my face, even though the window was at maximum dim, the suns strength was still enough to wake me. Not a fan of these gimmicks.

ImageIMG_8786 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8788 by Jono, on Flickr

Obligatory omelette served prior to arrival
ImageIMG_8789 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8790 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8791 by Jono, on Flickr

TG land
ImageIMG_8792 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8793 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8795 by Jono, on Flickr

5 January 2019 BKK - SYD QF24 Airbus A330-300
Schedule 18:00 – 07:30 (9:30)

After the on time arrival talk the long walk through the terminal to the QF transfer desk where I got my boarding cards through to MEL. At this stage I was in need of a shower, and since QF no longer have their own lounge it’s a choice between EK or CX, I chose EK this time for the showers.

ImageIMG_8796 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8797 by Jono, on Flickr

My Qantas A330-300 heading down to SYD

ImageIMG_8798 by Jono, on Flickr

Feeling at home next to a Qantas A330 engine

ImageIMG_8799 by Jono, on Flickr

The crew on this sector were great and very welcoming, I feel the A330 is a lot more personable than being among the masses on the A380. Unfortunately the IFE decided to crash when the ground power was connected in BKK, so despite the crews best efforts to reset it, the IFE did not function for the entire flight back to Australia. At least it was an overnight flight so I tried to sleep mostly.

Back to Economy class meals

ImageIMG_8800 by Jono, on Flickr

Decent product on the -300 series

ImageIMG_8801 by Jono, on Flickr

Storms over borneo

ImageIMG_8802 by Jono, on Flickr

Sunrise over the great southern land
ImageIMG_8808 by Jono, on Flickr

Fairly unsubstantial breakfast after a long flight from BKK

ImageIMG_8809 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8810 by Jono, on Flickr

Low cloud and rain for arrival into Sydney
ImageIMG_8811 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8812 by Jono, on Flickr

Oneworld alliance

ImageIMG_8816 by Jono, on Flickr

The transfer process at Sydney wasn’t too bad and I headed off to the Qantas domestic business lounge, which is pretty tired and in dire need of a refurb.

6 January 2019 SYD - MEL QF423 Boeing 737-800W
Schedule 10:00 – 11:35 (1:35)

Resting Whales

ImageIMG_8817 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8818 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8821 by Jono, on Flickr

Final leg!

ImageIMG_8822 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8823 by Jono, on Flickr

Basic snack service for the domestic hop

ImageIMG_8824 by Jono, on Flickr

With working IFE!

ImageIMG_8825 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8826 by Jono, on Flickr

Home!

ImageIMG_8827 by Jono, on Flickr.

I also went to the QF baggage desk in SYD while transiting and they managed to trace my bag to BKK where it had missed the connection on the outbound! RJ unfortunately sent it to CAI, before they finally got their act together and sent it onto MEL with EK..finally arriving a month after it went missing. Will I stop flying the crazy itineraries? Probably not, but will I try hand luggage only, Yes!!

debonair

Re: From Melbourne to Cairo, the multi-stop itinerary with QF, MH and RJ

Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:28 am

asked to be checked through only as far as SIN. QF won’t check through separate tickets but I knew MH will, and since I have a longer connection time in SIN, I thought would be sensible to do it there rather than KUL.

Nice TR! But I don't understand why QF wouldn't check-in luggage through on separate tickets. Working for different oneworld carriers, the rule is clear - as long as the connecting flight is with a ow-member airline, the luggage must be accepted! All ow-member, that's the goal of the membership, do have an interline agreement. So flying QF and connecting to MH is fulfilling the rule led down in the ow membership act!

The lost luggage is another thing I don't understand. RJ is member of ow and you are the highest status member as ow Emerald holder. Staying one week(!!) in Cairo, I don't understand why your luggage was not delivered to your hotel address... Have you enquired the status of your luggage at CAI airport before flying out to SSH?

ClassicLover

Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:11 pm

It's great to see Royal Jordanian in a report. Those Tristars in Amman have been there for a loooooong time! I saw them parked in exactly the same place when I visited Jordan in 2008. Shame you didn't stop there really, Jordan is a fantastic country with such lovely people.

Royal Jordanian hasn't changed much in the interim. I always remember the friendly and nice crew and frankly the excellent food in business class. They were astonishing when I flew them in 2007 and 2008. Looking forward to flying them again. Thanks for the report, really enjoyed it!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

jrfspa320
Topic Author

Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:43 am

debonair wrote:
asked to be checked through only as far as SIN. QF won’t check through separate tickets but I knew MH will, and since I have a longer connection time in SIN, I thought would be sensible to do it there rather than KUL.

Nice TR! But I don't understand why QF wouldn't check-in luggage through on separate tickets. Working for different oneworld carriers, the rule is clear - as long as the connecting flight is with a ow-member airline, the luggage must be accepted! All ow-member, that's the goal of the membership, do have an interline agreement. So flying QF and connecting to MH is fulfilling the rule led down in the ow membership act!

The lost luggage is another thing I don't understand. RJ is member of ow and you are the highest status member as ow Emerald holder. Staying one week(!!) in Cairo, I don't understand why your luggage was not delivered to your hotel address... Have you enquired the status of your luggage at CAI airport before flying out to SSH?

Thanks for reading debonair. Unfortunately oneworld members are no longer obliged to through check on separate tickets, with most ceasing to do so unfortunately. Thankfully MH still does.

I did file a lost luggage when i landed, any followed everyday, sadly RJ were pretty hopefully and had no luck finding the bag, just saying still tracing, Thankfully Qantas managed to find it in the system instantly.

jrfspa320
Topic Author

Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:44 am

ClassicLover wrote:
It's great to see Royal Jordanian in a report. Those Tristars in Amman have been there for a loooooong time! I saw them parked in exactly the same place when I visited Jordan in 2008. Shame you didn't stop there really, Jordan is a fantastic country with such lovely people.

Royal Jordanian hasn't changed much in the interim. I always remember the friendly and nice crew and frankly the excellent food in business class. They were astonishing when I flew them in 2007 and 2008. Looking forward to flying them again. Thanks for the report, really enjoyed it!

Thanks for reading! I have been to Jordan previously, and i agree its an amazing country, would definitely return.