Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

jetblue01
Topic Author

Aruba on American A321 & 737

Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:48 pm

At the end of the summer, I was meeting my family for a week in Aruba. I was coming from PHX. The rest of my family would be going from NY. I was taking a few summer classes, and had my last final the day before I was leaving. I was taking a redeye to CLT, then a flight to AUA. AA has two PHX-CLT redeyes, every night. When I was given the choice, I preferred the later flight, instead of a longer layover in CLT. I was on one of the last flights out of PHX for the night. I left for the airport at 11:00pm. I parked my car, and was walking into the terminal by 11:45pm. There was only my flight, and one other flight to MIA leaving this late. After quickly dropping my bag, I made it through security quickly and to my gate, with about 30 minutes until boarding.

American 599
Phoenix, AZ (PHX) – Charlotte, NC (CLT)
Airbus A321
N975UY
Seat 20A
Scheduled Departure Time – 1:10am
Actual Departure Time- 2:59am
Scheduled Arrival Time – 8:15am
Actual Arrival Time- 9:21am
3 hours 22 minutes

The plane was arriving from MIA. It landed at 1210am. 1 hour before our scheduled departure time. All afternoon, there were building thunderstorms. When I was driving to the airport, it started to rain. It got worse, and by the time the plane landed it was raining hard and lightning. An announcement was made at the gate, that due to the lighting the ramp was closed. They also mentioned our plane was on the ground, but could not get to the gate. It continued to storm for a while. Eventually it let up and the plane pulled into the gate, at 1:00am. 50 minutes after it had landed, and 10 minutes before our departure time. Once the plane got to the gate, they updated our departure time, to 1:46am. About 10 minutes later, it was pushed back to 2:14am.

N975UY at gate A7

They started boarding around 1:35am. Despite it being a full flight, boarding went very quickly. Everyone was seated, and we were ready to go a few minutes before 2:00am.

20A, next to N196UW that departed to CLT early in the morning

Once boarding was completed, the captain made an announcement. He said that there had been a maintenance issue, and they were just finishing up. About 10 minutes later, he made another announcement. He had been given some wrong information. Maintenance had just showed up at the plane. They had yet to start working on the issue. He was anticipating it taking around 30 minutes. A lot of the people on the plane were frustrated at this point. Due to the delay, a lot of people were inquiring about possible missed connections. It was also after 2am, and a lot of people around me were complaining about them not turning the lights down. After about 35 minutes, the issue was resolved. Once the door was closed, we began to push back at 2:45am. Shortly after the engines were started, we began to taxi. At this hour of the night, we were the only plane taxing. So, there were not any taxi delays. The airport was departing to the east so we had to taxi to runway 7L, on the other side of the airport. Finally, we taxied on to the runway and after a long takeoff roll, took off at 2:59am. Almost 2 hours late.

Taking off

By the time we departed, there was still scattered clouds and rain showers in the area. So it was a bumpy climb out of PHX. By the time we leveled off, it had smoothed out. The flight attendants quickly came through with drinks and snacks, and then the lights were turned down.

It started to get light outside 1 hour and 30 minutes into the flight

About 20 minutes before landing, we started our descent through multiple cloud layers

Flaps out

Final 36C

We touched down at 9:21am, 1 hour and 6 minutes late. After a 15 minute taxi, we pulled into gate D9.

Pulling in, next to N919US to SJU

There were thunderstorms on the east coast, and JFK airport was having a lot of delays and cancellations. My next plane was supposed to be coming from New York. When I left PHX, it was still showing ontime. After landing I checked the flight, and was anticipating the plane landing in CLT shortly. When I checked, I saw that the plane, had yet to even takeoff from JFK. I figured my flight to AUA, would be getting delayed. A few minutes later I got a call from my family. They had a connection in JFK. There first flight was delayed, and were going to miss the connection. They were going to have to spend the night at JFK, then leave early the next morning to AUA. There first flight to JFK ended up taking off, 8 hours late! When I got off the phone with them, I checked my flight again. The plane was still at JFK. Shortly after this, they switched us to a different plane. It was due to be landing any minute from IAH.

American 1346
Charlotte, NC (CLT) – Aruba (AUA)
Boeing 737-800
N832NN
Seat 12A
Scheduled Departure Time – 11:30am
Actual Departure Time- 12:06pm
Scheduled Arrival Time –3:44pm
Actual Arrival Time- 3:50pm
3 hours 44 minutes

N832NN at gate B5

After taking my seat I saw the people sitting across from me, had been sitting right in front of me on the flight from PHX. This flight was also very full. Several people had to get their bags checked at the last minute, because there was not any room left. The door was closed 4 minutes early, and we started to push back right at our scheduled departure time.

12A

After we pushed back, the engines were started. We taxied slowly to runway 36C, where we joined a long line for takeoff. After about 30 minutes taxing, we were in the air and climbing up to 37,000ft.

Line Up and Wait

Turning left right after takeoff

Climbing out of CLT

This plane was dated. It had no TV’s or power and the Wi-Fi did not work. With not much to do, the flight went by slowly.

About 30 minutes before landing, the flight attendants handed out customs forms. Shortly after this we started our descent.

Final runway 11

Over the numbers

Touchdown

N832NN after deplaning, before the return flight back up to CLT. An Aruba Airlines A320 taxing in, after arriving from MIA

After spending 6 days in Aruba, I was going home for a few more days. After this I was going back to school, for the fall semester. I was flying AA back, with another layover in CLT. Our shuttle was leaving the hotel at 1:00pm, 3 and a half hours before our flight. You go through immigration leaving AUA, instead of after you arrive. After checking in and dropping our bags at the AA counter, we got on the line for immigration. The airport was busy and it was a long process, the line moved very slowly. After almost an hour, we got through immigration. We got to the gate, with over still an hour until boarding.

American 1346
Aruba (AUA) – Charlotte, NC (CLT)
Boeing 737-800
N342PM
Seat 13A
Scheduled Departure Time – 4:39pm
Actual Departure Time- 4:36pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 8:57pm
Actual Arrival Time- 8:11pm
3 hours 35 minutes

N342PM

They started boarding, 45 minutes prior to departure. It was a full flight, and everyone was on the plane and ready to go 25 minutes prior to departure. The door was closed shortly after. We started to push back at 4:19pm, 20 minutes before our departure time.

Boarding

Pushed back

After the engines were started, we sat for about 5 minutes. Eventually, we started our taxi to runway 11. After holding short for a few minutes, we took the runway and departed.

After takeoff, we climbed up to 36,000 feet. Once we leveled off, the flight attendants came through with the service. This 737 was newer than the one I was on, for the flight down. This plane had TV’s on the seatback, and the Wi-Fi worked for the last hour.

Cruising

About 30 minutes before landing, we started descending into CLT via the STOCR2 arrrival

On a left downwind

After flying past the airport, we started a base turn. We flew through the final approach course for runway 18L, and lined up for 18C

Final

Touchdown

After landing, It was about a 15 minute taxi to the terminal.

Pulling into gate B14

American 1976
Charlotte, NC (CLT) – Syracuse, NY (SYR)
Airbus A319
N828AW
Seat 12A
Scheduled Departure Time – 10:10pm
Actual Departure Time- 10:52pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 11:57pm
Actual Arrival Time- 12:16am
1 hour 24 minutes

We pushed back ontime. After the engines were started, we slowly started the taxi to runway 18C. As we taxied, we came to a stop. The captain announced that we had a wheels up time, that was given to us by New York Center. We would have to sit on the taxiway, for about another 40 minutes. During the delay, the flight attendants came through with water.

Boarding

Line Up and Wait

Taking off

On this flight, we climbed up to FL330. It was a quick flight, and mostly smooth for the first 30 minutes. Then it got bumpy, as we deviated around some weather. After this it smoothed out, for the rest of the flight. We ended up landing in SYR, about 20 minutes late. After landing, it was a quick taxi to the gate.

Final runway 28

Touchdown

Pulling into gate 8

We were one of the last arrivals of the night. After a 15 minute wait for our bags, we headed out to our car. I spent a few days at home, before flying back to Phoenix.