Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetblue01
Topic Author

JFK daytrip on jetBlue A320 & Delta CRJ-200

Wed May 06, 2020 9:04 pm

I ended up having to go to New York City for the day. I was planning on flying DL down and back. When I was looking at flights though, I saw that the morning jetBlue flight was on an A320. The flight is usually on an E190. Two days this week, the flight was an A320 though. When jetBlue first started flying to SYR, all their flights were on the A320. For years the JFK flights have been operated by the E190, occasionally they have had a flight on an Airbus. This flight would be my first time flying the A320 from SYR to JFK in over 7 years. The morning flight used to leave around 11am, but it had been moved earlier in the morning. Since I was only going for the day and was not checking bag, I got the airport an hour before my flight.

By the time I got through security, my plane was just landing from JFK

jetBlue 315
Syracuse, NY (SYR) – New York, NY (JFK)
Airbus A320
N715JB
Seat 6A
Scheduled Departure Time – 8:25am
Actual Departure Time- 8:27am
Scheduled Arrival Time – 9:40am
Actual Arrival Time- 9:15am
48 minutes

N715JB pulling up to the gate. I had just flown this plane 3 months before, from JFK to CTG

N715JB at gate 3

Boarding started at 7:50am. The flight was only about half full. Everyone had boarded by 8:05am. We sat at the gate for about 10 minutes, before the door was closed. The captain made an announcement about the flight. He mentioned that they had flown up from JFK, and it was a bumpy ride. He was anticipating the same thing on the way back down. The door was closed at 8:15am, and we pushed back 3 minutes later.

Boarding

6A

Cabin before departure

Watching the pushback on the airport webcam

Once the engines were started, we began the taxi. The winds were gusting out of the south, so runway 15 was the active. This runway is not used that often.

Taxiing

Cleared for takeoff

Taking off

Climbing out of SYR

We climbed up to 25,000ft for the short flight down to JFK. The flight attendants made an announcement that they had started a service on the flight up, but it got to bumpy. On this flight they were not going to do any service. If you needed anything though, they said they would do their best to help you out.

On top of the clouds

It was an overcast morning with low ceilings, gusty winds, mist and rain. We were in IMC the entire descent, and broke out on final for runway 22L

ILS 22L

Short final

It was a smooth touchdown

Crossing 22R

Pulling into gate 4, next to N598JB. It had arrived earlier in the morning, after a redeye from LAS. It ended up flying to BUR later on in the morning, after the plane that had been scheduled to fly that flight had a maintenance issue.

N715JB, headed out for its next flight down to NAS

Later on in the day, I was flying back to SYR. This time on DL, on a CRJ-200.

Delta Connection “Endeavor” 4823
New York, NY (JFK) – Syracuse, NY (SYR)
Bombardier CRJ-200
N801AY
Seat 12A
Scheduled Departure Time – 4:59pm
Actual Departure Time- 5:35pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 6:27pm
Actual Arrival Time- 6:20pm
45 minutes

N801AY after arriving from BTV. This was my third time flying on it, and the second time from JFK to SYR

They started to make announcements for boarding. In the middle of the announcements, they stopped boarding. They made an announcement, that there was a small maintenance issue. They would get back to us, with how long it would be. About 10 minutes later, they continued boarding. Once we had boarded, the captain announced that there was an issue with the APU they were trying to fix. After 15 minutes, it was starting to get hot on the plane. Finally they announced they were going to do an airstart, and we were just waiting for the equipment. After another 10 minutes, we were able to pushback.

Boarding

12A, next to N8891A preparing for departure to BWI

It was a quick taxi 22R, and after a Lufthansa A380 departed, we took off

Taking off

Climbing out of JFK

We climbed up to 20,000ft, for the short flight to SYR. It started to get really bumpy, as we descended

Descending

Final runway 28

Touchdown

Taxiing to gate 23, we passed N625JB that was heading to MCO

It was a quick trip down to New York, but it was different to be able to fly on the A320 again on this route

mchei

Re: JFK daytip on jetBlue A320 & Delta CRJ-200

Thu May 07, 2020 12:01 pm

Nice report of a somewhat ordinary service!
Just out of curiosity and because I do this kind of day trips in another part or the world:
You arrived at 9.15am and you left at 5pm. Never been to JFK and never been to NYC either but from what I read and I hear these are busy places. How much time did you have at your destination before you needed to head back to the airport?

I did one of these trips from HAM to ARN (Hamburg, Germany to Stockholm, Sweden). I ended up traveling 10 hours for the entire trip and one and a half hours for a meeting at the final destination.
This madness doesn’t happen during Corona times...
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

jetblue01
Topic Author

Re: JFK daytip on jetBlue A320 & Delta CRJ-200

Sun May 10, 2020 9:43 pm

mchei wrote:
Nice report of a somewhat ordinary service!
Just out of curiosity and because I do this kind of day trips in another part or the world:
You arrived at 9.15am and you left at 5pm. Never been to JFK and never been to NYC either but from what I read and I hear these are busy places. How much time did you have at your destination before you needed to head back to the airport?

I did one of these trips from HAM to ARN (Hamburg, Germany to Stockholm, Sweden). I ended up traveling 10 hours for the entire trip and one and a half hours for a meeting at the final destination.
This madness doesn’t happen during Corona times...

This time i didn't need to go that far from JFK. In the past i have gone into the city when i had a long layover, before an international flight. I've taken a cab and the train. Usually less then an hour from the airport, and a few hours in the city before going back to JFK