Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

evangrady64
Topic Author

Singapore to Munich by Singapore Airlines A350-900

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:00 am

Hi everyone, this is my fifth trip report in this forum. I want to share my amazing experience and some photos onboard the Singapore Airlines flight. I took this trip a year ago when everything was still normal (long before the COVID-19 pandemic). Before I went from Singapore to Munich, I took an earlier flight from Surabaya to Singapore by the SIA A330-300 fleet. This was a short international flight that departed at 10:10 (UTC+7) and arrived at 13:30 (UTC+8). The weather was overcast during the journey, while there was a light shower when we landed in Singapore. Below is the view before landing, the one thing that I love is their beautiful aerial view of the ships.

The next long-haul flight to Munich would be at 00:30 (UTC+8) in the morning, so I took a good time sleeping in the airport hotel and went to Jewel Changi Airport. It consists of gardens growing over 4-stories, cinema, retail, and food outlets. The main attraction is the world's tallest indoor waterfall. The waterfall is 40-meter-high and also known as the "Rain Vortex". It is cascading water through glass and steel dome in the center of the lush forest.

After I had dinner, I prepared for the midnight departure. These are the terminal view, with gate lounges A1 to A8.

Flight details:
Day and date: Tuesday, 4th of June 2019
Airline: Singapore Airlines
Aircraft type: Airbus A350-900
Flight origin: Changi International Airport, Singapore (SIN)
Flight destination: Franz Josef Strauss International Airport, Munich (MUC)
Time of departure: 00:30 (UTC+8)
Time of arrival: 06:55 (UTC+2)
Flight duration: 12 hours and 25 minutes

I took this trip with my family at that time using a tour agency. Before boarding, one of the SQ staff at the boarding gate informed us that our seats would be separated (although we had already booked the three seats in a row). She said that the In-Flight Entertainment systems were broken in those seats. However, my father rejected the offer to relocate and insisted on the original seating location. It turned out to be good news because after all, the only problem was the safety video and the interactive flight map could not be displayed in these seats, but the IFE worked well throughout the flight.

The handset functioned as a remote control for the IFE TV screen.

Inside the cabin of the Airbus A350-900.

Upon departure, the flight attendants gave the menu book for each economy class passengers. Heavy meals would be given twice through the flight (supper and breakfast) with optional snacks in between.

A safety card containing information during take-off, landing, and emergencies.

For the supper main course, I chose the tomato and basil seafood pasta, which was great. The sweet, salt and sour taste were balanced enough. I would give 9/10 for this meal. It was also accompanied by green beans and potato salad with roasted chicken, a bread roll, ice cream, and mineral water.

After the meal service, the cabin was slowly dimmed out. The fascinating aspect of this aircraft was the colorful mood lighting which helped to reduce jet lag. They used the pink and purple color before putting the cabin into total darkness for passengers to sleep.

Waking up in the morning, the cabin lights were turned on and the sun had already risen.

For breakfast, I chose the vegetable frittata with chicken sausage, tomato, and potatoes. The meal also came with seasonal fresh fruits, a bread roll, and raspberry yogurt. Breakfast was like a regular continental breakfast and I would give 8.5/10. I chose orange juice for the drink.

While enjoying breakfast, I watched a movie. Then, a flight attendant came to our seats. He apologized for the inconvenience caused by the error IFE system (which turned out to be just a minor problem) and handed us three gift vouchers for shopping in KrisShop. I used my voucher to buy a die-cast of the Airbus A350-900 on the returning flight as a memento.

Flight information on-screen showing just 1 hour and 24 minutes before arriving in Munich.

The aircraft took a left turn and descending towards the runway.

Arrival in Munich, Germany.

After that, as a group, we continued our trip to Hallein, Austria. We spent 11 days on this holiday, mainly in Austria and Italy Dolomites areas. These are the places which I found interesting during the trip:

An underground salt mine located in the Dürrnberg plateau above Hallein, Austria.

Český Krumlov, which has been a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Gipfelwelt 3000 in Kaprun, the highest summit in the Salzburg region.

Lake Zell, which is a small freshwater lake in the Austrian Alps, and takes its name from the city of Zell am See (located on a small delta protruding into the lake).

The Grossglockner, the highest mountain in Austria.

Heiligenblut, which is located in a high valley and situated at the foot of the Grossglockner.

Ortisei, which became famous for its artfully decorated and carved wooden sculptures.

Cinque Torri, it simply means five towers. This place has interesting geological features.

I think that this is the end part of my report. Thanks for reading, I hope you like it. See you on my other trip reports, stay safe and healthy folks!

calstanford

Re: Singapore to Munich by Singapore Airlines A350-900

Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:39 am

Thank you for the wonderful report. I felt like I was with you there.

gardermoen

Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:48 am

Great report and photography. It's a nice walk down memory lane, hoping once again Changi will return to its former glory as a cool transit hub. Particularly like the wing tip photography over Germany.

CollegeAviator

Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:01 pm

Nice trip report & pictures. I am always intrigued to see what SQ offers on their longer flights (to Europe), but for some reason it looked like the trays lacked a bit in quantity...? Maybe it is just me. Great deal on the 'broken' IFE - a little bonus I guess! Thanks for sharing.

evangrady64
Topic Author

Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:32 am

calstanford wrote:
Thank you for the wonderful report. I felt like I was with you there.

You're welcome, I am glad you enjoy it. Austria and Italy have many beautiful natural places to offer (mountains and lakes) besides the usual city sightseeing.

evangrady64
Topic Author

Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:42 am

gardermoen wrote:
Great report and photography. It's a nice walk down memory lane, hoping once again Changi will return to its former glory as a cool transit hub. Particularly like the wing tip photography over Germany.

Thank you, I am glad you enjoy it. Yes, this pandemic has bought many problems for the aviation industry and transformed our way of traveling. Although Changi has returned to the "new normal" operation, it still feels weird because Changi used to be full and lively as the major transit hub.

evangrady64
Topic Author

Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:51 am

CollegeAviator wrote:
Nice trip report & pictures. I am always intrigued to see what SQ offers on their longer flights (to Europe), but for some reason it looked like the trays lacked a bit in quantity...? Maybe it is just me. Great deal on the 'broken' IFE - a little bonus I guess! Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome, I am glad you enjoy it. Yes, I think that the in-flight meal serving size is getting smaller over time, but it still tastes great. It was very satisfying to know that the IFE still capable of playing movies during the flight. Compensation from SQ has always been nice.