Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N776AU
Topic Author

Friend's Weddings ATL-MYR-ATL on Delta

Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:04 pm

It’s been a week and a half. I should probably get cracking on this trip report.

This trip was Friday June 12 to Monday June 15. This was planned for a while as a small gathering, and your boy is never in any mood to drive 6+ hours anywhere, so flying it was (surprise, right?). To hell with Covid. I’ll take my chances.

Myrtle Beach was a new airport for me, although I visited the area every year with my grandparents as a kid.

My flight out was early-ish, just past 9:30am. I was surprised this flight was upgraded. Originally when I booked it, the flight was on a CRJ-900. Delta about gave me a heart attack a few days earlier telling me the original Delta Connection flight was canceled. Then the second half of the email showed me rebooked with the same timings, but on a mainline flight. Dodged a bullet there. I would have driven if I had to, but I hate driving.

I got to Hartsfield just past 7. Frankly, it was kind of depressing. The place was deserted. Don’t get me wrong. I’ve seen the airport empty, but it’s been the extreme early morning.

Ok, quit rambling. Give us photos and stuff.
KLM had a 777-300 chilling overnight. There really wasn’t anything to see or explore.
I went back to my gate, which was D10 this morning. The concourse was sparsely populated with 717s and CRJs going places nearby. N895AT was my aircraft this morning.

Delta Air Lines Flight 1758
ATL-MYR
Depart ATL - 9:36am (was actually 9:34)
Arrive MYR - 10:45am (was actually 10:30)
Boeing 717
N895AT

I don’t know the load factor for this flight, but it can’t have been much, because we were loaded and ready in under 20 minutes. I will say, everyone going the old school way now of loading back to front is fantastic, and it seems to have halted gate lice. Delta’s zone boarding system is dumb.
I was sitting in my favorite seat in the back, 18A. N929AT next to us was going to CLT.

We boarded so fast, we ended up just sitting there until it was time to go. In the time before pushback snack bags were distributed. I was fasting for delicious Brazilian steak that night, so I saved it for breakfast in my hotel room in the following days. Actually, I would say I like this better than traditional service, much faster and easier to hang on to before throwing it away. Maybe not the pre-takeoff timing, but the idea is a good one in itself.
We pushed more or less on time and went toward runway 9L.
We caught and passed N325DN who was going to LAX.
https://youtu.be/ejsmvji94to
Takeoff was full-length, which is very unusual for a non-widebody. Usually takeoffs from 9L come from taxiway M2. 717s are rockets anyway, but today was really like a rocket as light as we were.
It was a beautiful day in Atlanta.
I’m not 100% sure, but I think this is CVC.
Again, beautiful day over Georgia as we worked our way over much less populated area.
Crossing the Savannah River.
CAE.
William’s Bryce Stadium. I have nothing nice to say about this place.
As we got closer to Myrtle Beach, the weather got less nice.
Lots of clouds, and a good bit of rain were all over the area.
https://youtu.be/Q1T9GGaKLJs
Landing was on runway 18 from the north this morning. It was semi-unusual for the super long stop and announcement being started long before we cleared the runway. I mean, what good is runway if you don’t use it, right? I’m sure there was no traffic close behind us.
We pulled in to gate A2 next to a Spirit A319 going to BOS.
My first impressions of the terminal. Nice (also, enjoy those two people giving me the stink eye :rotfl: )
N895AT was heading back to ATL with another not-very-large load of people.

I got my checked bag, my rental car, and headed out. I was actually the first arrival of the crew in town, so I had some time to kill.
I always like to check a good local donut shop when I travel. This was a Donut Man. Delicious.

I went to the hotel to try to check in early just in case, and as it turned out, my room was ready. We were at the Captain’s Quarters, not exactly the Four Seasons or anything, but it was adequate.
My room was tiny as hell. I’m glad it was just me. If I had a companion this would have gotten tight really quick.
At least my view was nice.
Other than the wedding, we had some fun activities around town in the couple days there.
Like Brazilian steak
Or some group donuts.
I wish I could put the live photo in this. The float was flapping around in the breeze. Very safe.
Coastal Cookie Dough :yummy:
Mac and cheese eggrolls. They were as magical as you think they were. Suffice it to say, I ate really well (and way too damn much) on this trip.

Soon enough came Monday and time to leave. Just like the inbound, man was I glad I didn’t have to drive.
Filled up my rental car at the south end of the runway. Not much happening at this point (and a pretty gross day).
Not gonna lie, I felt like a classy SOB walking up and checking a bag at the empty Delta counter as everyone else made their way to crowded Spirit and Allegiant (I swear I don’t have an ego. Please don’t hate me).
I explored the B concourse, and from the looks of things, everything has been moved to A. The only thing there was a resting A320. N690NK flew in from FLL Sunday afternoon, and didn’t fly again until Thursday.
American had N565NN from CLT and returning.
N331NV, a rare two-door A319 coming in from HGR and returning back.
My aircraft arrived just after 10:30. I was originally scheduled on an A321. As you can tell, N923XJ is not an A321.

Delta Connection (Endeavor Air) Flight 4835
MYR-ATL
Depart MYR - 11:40am (was actually 11:36)
Arrive ATL - 12:57pm (was actually 12:47)
Bombardier (excuse me…Mitsubishi) CRJ-900
N923XJ

The window shots for this flight are pretty heavily edited. My window was scratched all to hell. I couldn’t get them all, but I tried my best.

I was in seat 17A. I will say this about the CRJ-900, the windows are a great size for a tall individual like me (think: tops of my shoulders rest naturally above the top of the seat) to see out of. Usually I need a window that’s positioned a good bit in front of the seat so I can hunch forward to see out. Didn’t need to do that here. I could just sit and enjoy. Nice to be able to fly and not strain myself. Ok, ramble over.
Again, sparsely populated
Sun Country 737-800 to MSP. Didn’t grab the tail. I actually don’t hate the new livery, despite my disdain for most things orange.
https://youtu.be/YM-eRQD0kVA
We taxied to runway 36 for takeoff. We held up at the end of the taxiway for probably 5 minutes. I’m not sure why. I listened to the ATC recording, but I can make heads or tails of what was said.
Up and through the clouds.
And we stayed in clouds forever and ever, and ever.
Only on approach, could I finally see the ground again.
Not much to see sitting on the left side. The airport was landing from the west, so we came up from the south, took a left, flew past, and then in.
https://youtu.be/_XDgJXH-15s
Landing was on runway 9R. You could tell we were light as long as we hung above the runway before finally touching down.
The devil’s chariot N924EV going to AEX.
We pulled in to gate D31. N904XJ next to us was going to AVL.
N923XJ was going to XNA after dropping me off.

Concourse D was deserted again. I didn’t take a photo, but it was. I know things weren’t busy when my baggage beat me to baggage claim. That never happens, no matter how long I wait getting off the plane and taking my time.

So it was back to my car and home.

Great flights. Glad I didn’t drive. I really hope aviation can get back on its feet. I know I don’t have any fear getting on a plane, but it’s a shame the general public doesn’t feel the same way.

I do have a couple more flights on the horizon despite the mess. Looking forward to those. I wrote this over the course of an afternoon. Hopefully my errors were minimal.

Thanks for reading :wave:
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

airportugal310

Re: Friend's Weddings ATL-MYR-ATL on Delta

Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:29 pm

Those eggrolls!! I got hungry just looking at them
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”