Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Experiencing Dublin to Amsterdam on Aer Lingus during the "please do not travel" period

Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:41 am

For all the pictures that go with this report, please click here.

The Irish Government published a "Green List" of countries Irish people could visit without having to quarantine on return. At the same time, their advice was do not travel at all unless it's urgent. Of course, people can travel anywhere they like, as long as they go into self isolation for 2 weeks on arrival. All of this conflicting information has meant Ireland is basically the only EU country that is "closed" (due to the self isolation on arrival), and almost no-one is travelling at all. It's a real shame, because it is devastating the tourist industry here, as well as the airlines.

After an aborted trip to St. Petersburg in April, a group of friends and I decided to go to France. One of their parents said we could stay at their house, so we flew there and stayed a week by the pool. We didn't leave the house at all, apart from the first day to go to a supermarket for supplies. It was lovely, 30 degrees and sunny most days, plenty of wine and lots of food.

To get there, I originally booked British Airways Dublin-London Heathrow-Nice and to come back Aer Lingus Nice to Dublin. Both airlines cancelled their flights, so I ended up going Dublin to Amsterdam on Aer Lingus, overnight there and flew with my friends on easyJet to Nice. To come back, I flew Swiss. Anyway, this is the first flight for me in eight months and the first one of 2020.

Dublin Airport - well, I have two words for you – ghost town. On arrival at Terminal 2, only a few people were dotted around, no traffic, and about six cars lined up outside the terminal. All very post apocalyptic really. The nuclear winter vibe continued in the terminal. Up the two sets of escalators, which were empty, and straight to a lone attendant checking boarding passes before security who looked delighted to have something to do for a moment.

From there, no wait at security, and another friendly staff member smiling away behind her mask asking me the usual set of questions. General security is as fast as fast-track at the moment, so no need to buy that service. Passing through Duty Free is the same, with it all open. I mean, lets face it, there could be a war on and airports would still be selling Duty Free, am I right? Into the terminal proper and many shops were closed, such as the Chocolate Lounge, while a couple of others were open.

Down the escalators to the gates, where every second seat is blocked off and everyone is told to wear a mask. The Aer Lingus gate staff came around offering us contact tracing forms to complete, to hand over to the Dutch at the other end. Boarding was called, from back to front, with people having to show their completed forms, as well as boarding passes and Passports. There may have been roughly 60 people on board, but not many more than that. Needless to say, nobody was sat next to me.

EI602 – Dublin to Amsterdam (DUB-AMS)
23 August 2020
Airbus A320 – EI-DVG – St. Flannan
Seat: Economy 3A
Departure: 18:15 Arrival: 20:55

Safely ensconced in my favourite seat, I watched the safety demonstration, all done with the crew in masks. Next, off to the runway, where we departed into the Dublin evening sky.

During lockdown, the Aer Lingus inflight magazine, Cara, is not being printed. All that sat in the seat pockets were the safety cards and nothing else. We were encouraged not to put anything into the seat pockets. When it comes to inflight service, Aer Lingus has decided to serve nothing whatsoever. On four flights for this trip, each of the other two airlines offered their normal food and drink.

With nothing else to do, I sat around enjoying the view and waiting to land. We landed miles away and traipsed around runways for 15 minutes before arriving at the terminal. Deplaning was simple, as was Dutch immigration, though the usual desks were closed so I had to walk to ones that were. Meanwhile, who collected that contact tracing form? Nobody.

Flying during lockdown is a little different to the usual. Everyone wears masks (apart from the morons), airport seating is socially distanced, sanitation stations have popped up, and distancing markers are on the floors. Otherwise, the situation is far more pleasurable than usual. There are no queues, no waiting, no people getting in your way, no harassed barking staff, it’s all round very good.

Aer Lingus really should be offering an on board service. My next flight was on easyJet who I purchased food from, then Swiss who offered one of the nicest business class meals I’ve ever had. It just seems stingy to have nothing, and the poor cabin crew did nothing all flight which must be boring too.

Have you flown with Aer Lingus or through Dublin Airport during lockdown? What are your thoughts on all of this? Remember, please click here for all the pictures. Thank you for reading and if you have any comments or questions, please leave them below.

EISG1129

Re: Experiencing Dublin to Amsterdam on Aer Lingus during the "please do not travel" period

Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:52 pm

Nice report. Went through Dublin Airport three weeks ago and flew with Aer Lingus Regional/Stobart Air. My experience of Dublin Airport Terminal 2 was largely similar to yours. I walked straight up to security to demonstrate my boarding pass and straight up to the screening point. Was through in three minutes. The Loop was open but was as you describe it - a ghost town. The staff out numbered the customers.

Whilst Terminal 2 was exceptionally quiet, on walking over to Terminal 1 after security there was a bit more life over there (albeit, not much more). More catering was open in T1, such as Butler's Coffee and Marquette.

Like yourself, I would think that Aer Lingus should be offering an on board service. Covid-19 is going to be around for a while yet, and even a reduced catering offering might bring in some well needed revenue. A contactless payment card only/no cash payment system would reduce the need for contact between staff and customers.

It will be interesting to see how long Cara remains out of print as well. I wondor would Aer Lingus have the initiative to produce a digital version, a bit like British Airways have done with High Life.

ClassicLover
Topic Author

Re: Experiencing Dublin to Amsterdam on Aer Lingus during the "please do not travel" period

Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:34 pm

EISG1129 wrote:
Nice report. Went through Dublin Airport three weeks ago and flew with Aer Lingus Regional/Stobart Air. My experience of Dublin Airport Terminal 2 was largely similar to yours. I walked straight up to security to demonstrate my boarding pass and straight up to the screening point. Was through in three minutes. The Loop was open but was as you describe it - a ghost town. The staff out numbered the customers.

Whilst Terminal 2 was exceptionally quiet, on walking over to Terminal 1 after security there was a bit more life over there (albeit, not much more). More catering was open in T1, such as Butler's Coffee and Marquette.

Like yourself, I would think that Aer Lingus should be offering an on board service. Covid-19 is going to be around for a while yet, and even a reduced catering offering might bring in some well needed revenue. A contactless payment card only/no cash payment system would reduce the need for contact between staff and customers.

It will be interesting to see how long Cara remains out of print as well. I wondor would Aer Lingus have the initiative to produce a digital version, a bit like British Airways have done with High Life.

They must have done a cost/benefit analysis that said offering catering would not make them any money. It's annoying that it's come to that, especially when there aren't many options in the airport. When I landed in Amsterdam, my first stop was the supermarket to buy something to eat. That's cash Aer Lingus could have had.

I'm curious about Cara as well. I noticed the BA magazine went digital. I think for them it might make sense as they have a bigger base of people who would read it. Not entirely sure Cara would have that online readership to justify the change.

Let's hope things pick up soon - thanks for the comment. Glad to see you also experienced Dublin and found it similar. Might have to wander over to T1 next time, just to see what's open over there.