Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Accordingt0dan
Topic Author

British Airways Boeing 767 - Club Europe Trip Report (Video TR available as well)

Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:18 pm

Hello and welcome to my latest Trip report.

The Trip Report covers my flight in May 2018 shortly before the Boeing 767 was withdrawn from the British Airways fleet.

Flight Number: BA1434 (Callsign SHT8F)
To: Edinburgh (EDI/EGPH)
Airline: British Airways (BAW)
Aircraft: Boeing 767-336(ER)
Aircraft Registration: G-BNWB (First flight - 30 Nov 1989)

I arrived at Heathrow Terminal 5 with plenty of time before my flight. I decided to select my seat using the Self Service Check in machines and discovered that Club Europe was actually quiet today, covering the front 4 rows of the front cabin. I decided to select 03A for the flight, and after printing my boarding pass off I made my way to the Club check in desk to drop my bag and then was quickly through the priority security queue and airside.

ImageSelf Service Check In by Dan, on Flickr

As much as I like the lounge, this was an early flight (and I was tired) I decided to walk the length of Terminal 5 and see what was going on out of the windows. I like Terminal 5 a lot because of the amount of outside viewing you can do while waiting for your flight. Terminal 5C is of course the better of the satellites to do this in, but my flight was from the main building.

Soon enough my BA app pinged and told me that my gate, A8 was now open.
ImageBA APP - Gate Open by Dan, on Flickr

Travelling in Club Europe meant that I was in boarding Group 1 and would be one of the first on board.
BA are quite good at managing the queue (now and then) and today was a good day with a member of the boarding gate team managing the priority queue and ensuring only those with the appropriate group number / status were going through it.

ImageA8 Gate Group 1 by Dan, on Flickr

Here she is on A8. NWB was delivered to BA in 1990 and plied the routes around Europe.
ImageNWB on stand by Dan, on Flickr

Originally fitting up to 252 people onboard, she was reconfigured in 2012 to fit an extra 7 people (total 259)
Club Europe is laid out in a 2 - 2 - 2 configuration, while Euro Traveller is laid out in a 3 - 3 - 3 configuration. In Club, the centre seat in the middle section of 3 was not used.

ImageBA 767 Seatmap by Dan, on Flickr

Boarding started onetime, and I was soon down the jetty and onboard after of course touching the Oneworld logo (anyone else do that when boarding a plane?)

In the Mini Club cabin at the front, I sat in the comfortable leather seat and got out a magazine and waited as the rest of the aircraft boarded.
Image767 cabin by Dan, on Flickr

After everyone was onboard, we pushed back and taxied to Runway 27L and took off into the early morning (wet and grey) skies over London.

Take off video including welcome PA: https://youtu.be/ex1mrlLnoIw

When we finally broke out of the clouds, the sky was a perfect blue and stunning to see (who needs IFE when you have the view out of the window!)
ImageBlue Sky by Dan, on Flickr

The breakfast service started promptly and I opted for the full English, Now, I'm not a fan of tomatoes and mushrooms so I left them, but everything else was eaten and was perfect for the flight time. It was all washed down with a cup of tea.....and maybe a small bottle of Champagne!
ImageBreakfast by Dan, on Flickr
ImageChampers and a cuppa by Dan, on Flickr
Our route today, after a right turn shortly after take off we headed over Milton Keynes, Nottingham, Sheffield, past Carlise at a height of 34,000 feet before descending to Edinburgh.

ImageBA 767 Route by Dan, on Flickr

All too soon we were descending (I may have had another Champagne) with some stunning views of the Scottish countryside when we finally broke through the cloud layer. After flying past Edinburgh and out over the Firth of Forth before turning left and making our approach into Edinburgh Airport's runway 24

Landing video including goodbye PA:https://youtu.be/w-6gOgVkaNE

We pulled off the runway at the last exit point, and after only a few minutes we stopped.....

We were in place for about 10 minutes (traffic apparently) so of course I looked out the window watching a few smaller jets arrive and taxi in before us. Finally we were on the move and headed to the gate, and of course I kept an eye on what was going on outside the window

ImageG-JZHK Jet2 Boeing 737 by Dan, on Flickr

Finally we pulled onto the stand, and once the jetty was attached I said good bye to the crew, and sadly a goodbye to the Boeing 767. NWB was retired from the BA fleet only two months after my flight to St Athan, and was scrapped in December of the same year.

Thank you for reading this trip report, I hope you enjoyed it.

I did also make a video trip report, the link for that is below.

Full video trip report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lh4MlH7R1Y
Travel With Dan

SESGDL

Re: British Airways Boeing 767 - Club Europe Trip Report (Video TR available as well)

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:01 am

Nice report! I sure do miss BA 767s.

Jeremy

ContinentalEWR

Re: British Airways Boeing 767 - Club Europe Trip Report (Video TR available as well)

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:04 pm

Nice trip report. I always enjoyed flying the BA 767 on intra-European flights (VCE, GVA, FCO, MAD, BCN, CDG, back in the day) but didn't like the way BA configured some of them for TATL operations. Flew it a few times from EWR to LHR and back in 2007. Miserable experience.

Accordingt0dan
Topic Author

Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:27 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
Nice trip report. I always enjoyed flying the BA 767 on intra-European flights (VCE, GVA, FCO, MAD, BCN, CDG, back in the day) but didn't like the way BA configured some of them for TATL operations. Flew it a few times from EWR to LHR and back in 2007. Miserable experience.

Thanks for the comment. Out of interest what was wrong with the configuration?
Travel With Dan

giblets

Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:41 pm

I had a 767 on LHR-AMS about the same time (2018?). I used to fly them fairly regularly LHR-RUH in the late 90s/00s, so strange being go back on board. Down the back it was a bit of a shock to see how dated it all seemed, with the overhead bins unable to take wheelie bins straight on, they got rammed pretty quickly, and being a EU route, everyone was struggling to get them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
146, ATR72, Q400, Saab 340, PA-46 Jetprop, Jetstream, E175/195, 707/727/737/747/757/767/777, DC-3/9/10, MD-11/80, A300/310/319/320/321/330/340/350/380 Tristar, BAC 1-11, Trident, Chipmunk, Bell 206/222, Chinook, Puma, Cessna 172, Fokker 70, 100, SRN4!

ContinentalEWR

Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:55 pm

Accordingt0dan wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

The Club World seats were staggered rear facing ones and I was seated in one of those, with a direct, unobstructed view of the Galley plus the World Traveller Cabin, they kept the curtain open all night. Every time I opened my eyes all I could see was the yellowed fluorescent light that was above the galley. This was 2007 and their only competition out of EWR was VS, which was flying the 747-400. CO was a year away from LHR access and so was flying into LGW, with 1 x 772 and 1 x 764.

vhtje

Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:32 am

ContinentalEWR wrote:
Accordingt0dan wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

The Club World seats were staggered rear facing ones and I was seated in one of those, with a direct, unobstructed view of the Galley plus the World Traveller Cabin, they kept the curtain open all night. Every time I opened my eyes all I could see was the yellowed fluorescent light that was above the galley. This was 2007 and their only competition out of EWR was VS, which was flying the 747-400. CO was a year away from LHR access and so was flying into LGW, with 1 x 772 and 1 x 764.

Why didn’t you ask the crew to close the curtain? It’s likely they simply forgot.

I once flew F TATL on a 777 when they forgot to turn off the blue LED light behind the speedmarque on the bulkhead. It was very bright and right in my eyes, so I went to the galley and asked for it to to be dimmed. The crew member was horrified that he had forgotten to turn it off, and apologised profusely. The cabin was then in total darkness so I slept well.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.