Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FligtReporter
Topic Author

IndiGo A321-271NX, Mumbai to Lucknow ( CAT IIIB ) *VIDEO ONLY*

Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:57 pm

Hi guys,So on 02/02/2021 I had the best flying experience of all times for I got to live my long wish of experiencing CAT IIIB Autoland and what added to the excitement is that I got to experience it at my own homebase LKO.Before beginning here is a little flight info of my flight.

FLIGHT INFORMATION
AIRLINE IndiGo
AIRCRAFT A321-271NX (222Y Variant)
REG VT - IUK
AGE 1 YEAR (Delivered Feb 2020)
ORIGIN Mumbai (BOM)
ARRIVAL Lucknow (LKO)
Date of Flight 02/02/2021
SCH DEP 6:20AM
ACTUAL DEP 6:29AM
SCH ARR 8:30AM
ACTUAL ARR 8:39AM

Actually it was my first time on an Airbus A321Neo too.I had been on Air India's A321 before but never really experienced the all economy 321 and honestly this aircraft from the inside looked really long and accomodating.IndiGo has two A321NX variants (222Y) and (232Y),the one I flew on (VT-IUK) is the 222Y variant and it just turned one year old this month itself (Delivered in Feb 2020).

The boarding started on time and I boarded through gate 45B at Mumbai Airport Terminal 2,which is at the ground level and you have to board a bus to get to the aircraft.Untill last year IndiGo and other LCCs use to operate from Domestic terminal at Mumbai airport but since Covid all of them are operating from the T2.As like my earlier flights the day before (01/02/2021 LKO-GOI and GOI-BOM) all the pax were given saftey kit packs with a Face Shield,sachets of Sanitizers and a face mask.As I deboarded the bus to board (VT-IUK) I could see a familiar birdie parked right next to it (A320Neo VT-IVO) which was the aircraft that I had flown in from Goa to Mumbai just a few hours ago and I remember seeing the (VT-IUK) parked left to us when I landed at around 12AM.

Here is the flight report of GOI - BOM (VT-IVO)
https://youtu.be/HgW3xC3gAcY

After boarding I noticed how long this aircraft was for a narrow body yet somehow spacious which all other LCCs I've flown in seem to struggle with.Anyways,I settled on my seat 30F and went through the seat pocket where as expected it was nothing but the A321 saftey instructions card (No Magazine,Vomit bag).Boading got completed in no time and I believe it was a half flight with just around 100 or 120 pax onboard that dawn.Even though Captain announced before time departure I learnt after landing that we actually departed 9 minutes late,but that's not a big deal for me.

Shortly after takeoff from RWY 27 we flew over the Arabian sea and banked to the right towards my homebase and within about 15 something minutes of our first turn the seatbelt signs were off and the crew began their inflight services with serving those with pre booked meals prior to taking orders from others.I had Pre-booked a Veg Trio Sandwich which was nicely packed and tasted as good as it looked.As I finished my breakfast I could see the beautiful dawnbreak shade at the horizon as we climbed to our cruising altitude of 37,000 FEET and by the time I got done with my meal..the sun was at the horizon and It was a sight to behold !! Thank God I recorded everything on 4K !

After about an hour and 10 something minutes the crew announced the nearing of our destination and began preparing the cabin for landing and at about 15,000 feet we flew over the neighbouring town to LKO,kanpur and holy river Ganga and as we approached lucknow skies I could see the haze over kanour turn into more thick layer of fog.So we were put on four holding circuits over LKO at 11,000 feet(At this time the reported RVR was 75 Meters),due to the operational constraints during CAT IIIB conditions at LKO,given as of Feb 2021,we just have one taxiway i.e (TAXIWAY C) and only four parking bays (11,12,13 and 14) which are equipped with CAT III lighting system and that further limits the operational gap between flights during the Low Visibility conditions like CAT IIIB.

Finally after 4 circuits we were cleared to make a final approach into ILS CAT IIIB RWY 27 at my homebase and all this while we were descending I could see a thick white layer of fog and also building tops engulfed in it,however,as we further glided down,the thick fog seemed to have dispersed into more moderate as I could clearly see the earthly establishments like homes,roads etc and that sight was like a dagger to my heart because the only reason I flew all the way from LKO-GOI-BOM-LKO was to experience CAT IIIB and I had laid all my faith in the weather forecast for this day and I felt may be its gonna be CAT I landing and you could clearly hear my constant spontaneous commentary in the background :lol:

But God knew how to surprise me,as we came around 1 NM from the airport I could see huge clouds of fog engulfing the whole region and thats when I realized it actually is gonna be an Autolanding after all ! A surreal moment as we touched down on the runway 27 at 8:39AM IST (3:09AM UTC) and I could hardly see the wings of the birdie and after the touchdown my very first emotion was that of disbelief for I couldn't believe I had actually experienced what I always dreamt of and to reassure myself of what I already knew I requested the cabin crew after we parked at the gate to ask the Captain whether it was a CAT IIIB landing or not and she was nice enough to confirm it to me...and that was all I needed to be on cloud nine :D but as we were rolling down the RWY I began my inquisitive remarks related to the taxing and what not :rotfl: (Remind you at this point I was just saying everything based on my prior limited flying experiences which excluded any such as this one).After we made a 180° at the end of the runway which is RWY 09 we backtracked and exited the REY via Taxiway C (Only Taxiway used during these conditions) and parked at bay 13 at Gate 5 or 6 or 4(I don't remember the gate but we have 2 aerobridges and I think they are between 4 and 5 or 5 and 6).

I was not aware of the Standard Operating Procedures during CAT IIIB and the information regarding these operations at my base,however,now I know better so do excuse my futile commentary in the background.

Anyways..I hope you guys have a great time watching this very first 4K and CAT IIIB Flight report of mine which is by far the most special flight report of mine to this day and I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I did living it.

Here is the link !
https://youtu.be/Uz2v3f_mJ_8

Oh and below is the METAR = Weather Report of LKO at the time of my approach and landing.

METAR

DATE 02/02/2021
ISSUANCE TIME 8:30AM IST (3:00AM UTC)
TOUCHDOWN TIME 8:39AM IST (3:09AM UTC)
WINDS 00000
HORIZONTAL VISIBILITY 0000 ( 0 METERS)
RWY/RVR 27(ILS CAT IIIB)/100 METERS
VERTICAL VISIBILITY VV/// (NO VERTICAL VISIBILITY)
TEMP AND DEWPOINT 08°C/07°C
BAROMETRIC PRESSURE Q1019
NOSIG NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGE