Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetblue01
Topic Author

SYR-PDX-SYR Day trip DL & AA

Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:38 am

I decided to take my first day trip of 2021. After looking at a few places, I settled on PDX. As I was looking at flights, I had it narrowed down to Delta and American. These were the only two airlines, that had redeye flights back. I ended up going with Delta on the way out, and American on the way back. This way I could fly on the A330 on one of my flights.

N8908D taxiing to the gate, after landing from Detroit

Delta Connection “Endeavor” 5151
Syracuse, NY (SYR) – New York, NY (JFK)
Bombardier CRJ-200
N8908D
Seat 12A
Scheduled Departure Time – 12:10pm
Actual Departure Time- 12:21pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 1:18pm
Actual Arrival Time- 1:01pm
40 minutes

Once everyone had boarded, we sat at the gate for about 15 minutes. We ended up pushing back 2 minutes early. Once the engines were running, we started the taxi out to runway 28

Boarding

We climbed up to 23,000ft, for the short flight down to JFK. On flights to New York on Delta, the flight attendants do not do any service. On this flight, the flight attendant sat in the row behind me reading a book until we started descending

Starting the descent

Final 31R

Taxiing into the gate in front of an A330, arriving from Milan

N8908D before its next flight up to Rochester

My next flight was to Atlanta, and it would be on the A330. The day before the flight I got upgraded to first class.

4X-EDA taking off to Houston

N772AN taking off to Miami

N636JB heading out to Denver

Atlas 747-400 taxiing

Delta 45
New York, NY (JFK) – Atlanta, GA (ATL)
Airbus A330-300
N820NW
Seat 7A
Scheduled Departure Time – 3:45pm
Actual Departure Time- 3:54pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 6:21pm
Actual Arrival Time- 5:32pm
1 hour 38 minutes

N820NW at gate B28 after arriving from Dublin. This would be my second time flying on N820NW. I flew it from JFK-LAX, back in 2017

7A next to N804DN, going to Orlando

The gate agent came on to give the paperwork to the crew, and right before her a mechanic came on. She then closed the door, and the flight attendant made the announcement that the door was now closed. Just as she was doing that, the mechanic came out of the cockpit. They started to laugh when they realized she had closed the door with him still on the plane. A few minutes later the door was opened and he got off, since I don’t think going to Atlanta was in his plans that day

Taxiing out to 31L Kilo-Echo intersection for departure, next to N180DN waiting for its next flight to Los Angeles

Line Up and Wait

In first class the flight attendants came around with a choice of snack boxes. They also came around for a choice of drinks

Cruising at 40,000ft

This flight went by quickly, and before long we were starting down towards Hartsfield

Short final 26R

We made a pretty hard touchdown on runway 26R. This was the hardest landing I’ve had on an A330. Usually they are petty smooth

The 737 I was taking for my next flight on short final from PBI, just after we landed

N820NW spent the night in ATL, before flying the next morning to Minneapolis

Delta 1050
Atlanta, GA (ATL) – Portland, OR (PDX)
Boeing 737-900
N887DN
Seat 17A
Scheduled Departure Time – 7:35pm
Actual Departure Time- 7:40pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 9:58pm
Actual Arrival Time- 9:33pm
4 hours 53 minutes

N887DN at gate A9. This would also be my second time on N887DN. I had flown it a little over a year ago, from JFK-PHX

17A next to N888DU going to Nashville and Speedbird taking off to LHR

Before we pushed back the PDX based flight crew welcomed us aboard, this flight out to the Pacific Northwest. The captain mentioned he would not be making any announcements so we could watch tv, or sleep without interruption. We ended up pushing back about 10 minutes early. The engines were started, and we quickly headed out to 26L. After waiting for behind an A330, 717 and a CRJ-900, it was our turn

Climbing out of ATL on the CUTTN2 departure

We initially leveled off at 32,000ft, for the first hour. Then we climbed up to 36,000ft, and then 38,000ft. Eventually over Wyoming, we went back down to 32,000ft for the rest of the flight. It was mostly smooth, other than some of the expected turbulence over Colorado. This flight dragged by, and it seemed like it took forever

Cruising at 38,000ft, north of the city of Denver

After a long flight across the country, it was finally time to start the descent

Descending on the HHOOD4 arrival

Final 10L

We made a smooth touchdown on 10L

Pulling into the gate next to an E175 that had arrived a little before us from Seattle

N887DN spent 24 hours in PDX, before flying the redeye back to Atlanta the following evening

I had a little over 2 hours until my flight going back in the opposite direction. This time to Charlotte

Only a few late night flights tonight

American 1747
Portland, OR (PDX) – Charlotte, NC (CLT)
Airbus A321
N581UW
Seat 20A
Scheduled Departure Time – 11:43pm
Actual Departure Time- 11:46pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 7:41am
Actual Arrival Time- 7:06am
4 hours 20 minutes

N581UW at gate C17 after arriving from Charlotte. After I took this picture the FO waved at me. The hallway between the two terminals at PDX is closed, and all the stores and gift shops were closed on this side, since we were the only flight leaving. There was nowhere to get anything to drink or eat for the flight. So, there was not much to do besides wait until the flight was leaving

20A next to N549UW that had just arrived from DFW

This flight was not full, and there were a lot of open seats. We ended up pushing back about 10 minutes early. We were the only plane taxiing, so we made it out to 10L pretty quickly

Climbing out of PDX

We climbed up to 35,000ft, for the first two hours of the flight. Over South Dakota, we climbed up to 37,000ft, where we stayed for the rest of the flight. Once we leveled off the flight attendants came through with drinks and pretzels. After this I was able to fall asleep for a few hours, until the sun started to come up

Starting to get a little light outside

Sun starting to come up

About 20 minutes before landing, we started the descent. We arrived from the north. We flew past the airport, before turning back towards the airport and landing to the north

Final 36C

Taxiing to the gate

Pulling into the gate next to N975UY. It pulled into the gate right before us after landing from Norfolk. I flew this plane on a redeye that was delayed once from PHX-CLT, we didn’t takeoff until 3am

N581UW at gate D9, before its next flight down to Cancun

I had a little over 2 hours until my last flight of the trip

American Eagle “Republic” 4898
Charlotte, NC (CLT) – Syracuse, NY (SYR)
Embraer E-175
N441YX
Seat 18A
Scheduled Departure Time – 9:15am
Actual Departure Time- 9:31am
Scheduled Arrival Time – 11:14am
Actual Arrival Time- 11:02am
1 hour 31 minutes

N441YX at gate C4 before its second flight of the day. It flew down earlier from Albany

As soon as everyone was onboard, the door was closed and we pushed back. Once an Airbus that was blocking our way started to move, we headed out to runway 36C. After waiting for a few planes, we taxied onto the runway and took off

Pushing back next to N915US leaving later in the morning to Los Angeles

Taxiing out as N124US heads to the gate, after arriving from Pittsburgh

Climbing out of CLT

We climbed up to 35,000ft, for the flight up to Syracuse. The flight attendants came around with drinks and pretzels, and then they came around once to collect the trash, as we descended through 10,000ft

We hit a few bumps as we descended through the clouds, on the way into Syracuse

Final for runway 28

22 hours and 41 minutes after taking off, we were back on runway 28

N441YX at gate 8, before flying right back down to Charlotte

This was my first day trip in 2021, and also my first time flying in first class on an A330. A few days later I left for Mexico, and I am still working on that one

flyorski

Re: SYR-PDX-SYR Day trip DL & AA

Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:00 pm

Interesting trip, especially being just for a day. Was this part of a milage run of some sort? Nice photos though.

jetblue01
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:19 am

flyorski wrote:
Interesting trip, especially being just for a day. Was this part of a milage run of some sort? Nice photos though.

Yeah. I haven't gotten to do as much flying lately as I used to, so I have been doing some day trips to get some miles

MarcoPoloWorld

Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:03 am

Another great trip report!... I like those dawn time-lapse slides - always amazing to watch the sun go up when flying.

Why don't you treat yourself to a hotel night's stay at the other end? I feel kind of bad for you always ending up on those red-eyes!

Thank you for sharing! :airplane:

jetblue01
Topic Author

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:59 pm

MarcoPoloWorld wrote:
Another great trip report!... I like those dawn time-lapse slides - always amazing to watch the sun go up when flying.

Why don't you treat yourself to a hotel night's stay at the other end? I feel kind of bad for you always ending up on those red-eyes!

Thank you for sharing! :airplane:

Watching the sunrise is definitely the best part of a redeye. Usually the overnight flights don't bother me that much. I've only done a few day trips like this. Where I flew out to the west coast, and did the overnight flight right back.

FlyEndeavorAir

Sat May 15, 2021 10:55 pm

Another great report. Don't really like redeye flights as I can't seem to sleep on planes but sometimes they are necessary, like coming back from Hawaii or going to Europe.

jetblue01
Topic Author

Sun May 16, 2021 3:35 am

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:
Another great report. Don't really like redeye flights as I can't seem to sleep on planes but sometimes they are necessary, like coming back from Hawaii or going to Europe.

Redeyes aren't my first choice, but if I have to take one I don't mind them that much. But, I've don't a few short ones like PHX-MSP or PHX-ORD, that were pretty miserable. Usually I'm able to get some sleep, especially on longer overnight flights like to Europe.