Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aeromoe
Topic Author

Denver. Out with the old, in with the new. Feb 1995

Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:13 am

Denver. Out with the old...in with the new. February 1995.

Prologue:

In February 1995 I was living in northern California. At the time and my mom and stepdad still lived in the Denver Metro Area. I've had ties to Colorado since the early 70s, and it was in the mid-70s I cut my plane-watching teeth at Stapleton. After graduating High School in 1982 I joined the USAF. After basic military training at Lackland AFB, Texas I returned to Lowry AFB, Colorado for my 'tech school.' Due to the timing of my classes I was able to witness the arrival of the first UA 767 flight: #1767 from O'Hare on 8 September 1982. After tech school graduation in October 1982, I headed off to my first duty station: Vandenberg AFB, California. After a couple years there, it was off to England for three years, then South Korea for a year before returning to the USA.

My friend Martin Marlow's photo of N606UA arriving Stapleton as UA #1767 from Chicago O'Hare as the inaugural 767 service worldwide. I was standing next to him when he shot this photo during my lunch break from USAF technical school classes at nearby Lowry AFB. 8 September 1982

Around 1985 my mom and stepdad bounced around between California and Denver a couple of times, eventually settling back in Denver for good in the late 1980s. My stepdad was a 'trucker' (a vocation my mom joined him doing in 1978 after they got married) and having 'retired' from long-haul trucking he found work hauling materials to the Denver International Airport construction site in the early '90s. I'm proud to know he played a part in building the first all-new airport in the USA since DFW opened on 13 January 1973. Some of you familiar with the construction of DIA may know of or remember the public "construction viewing area" a couple of miles west of the airport. I got to visit this area a couple of times in the early stages of DIA construction.

Photos during construction taken during June 1992. Print scans

Since Denver has been a travel destination for me for 20 years at that point, I was anxiously awaiting the opening of DIA. But as many of us who are familiar with the saga know, DIA became the butt of many commentaries on local and national news. In fact, at the time it was probably a 'laughing stock' due to its notoriety and many delays prior to opening. After all, DIA promised to be the solution to the congestion at Stapleton, especially during inclement weather when those closely-spaced parallel runways severely limited operations. In general, the airlines were counting on DIA's design to significantly reduce the inevitable domino effects of severe weather events on the industry. All that needed to happen was for DIA to open for business, though apparently this was easier said than done.

At one time DIA was scheduled to open in 1993, then in 1994. During 1994 I was on TDY out of the USA for six months. I figured I'd miss the opportunity to be there when Stapleton closed. As luck would have it, delays continued and it looked like February 1995 was a good bet for DIA finally opening. I don't know when this announcement was made nor have I researched it.

With 28 February 1995 the new proposed date for DIA opening, I booked a round trip from San Francisco to Denver covering the dates 25 February - 2 March. This would give me a couple days to watch Stapleton's final days and a couple of days at DIA. SFO was not the most convenient airport for me but I often chose it because of the plane-watching variety. I chose MarkAir as I'd never flown on them. Interestingly, MarkAir was a long-time Alaskan airline but had recently built up a lower-48 operation with a hub in Denver. The routing for my Denver trip was SFO-RNO-DEN-RNO-SFO resulting in two new city pairs and three new airport pairs. I'm glad I flew on MarkAir when I did...unfortunately they didn't survive for too much longer.

25 February 1995

SFO-RNO-DEN (Stapleton)
MarkAir
737-4Y0 EI-CIX
Flight # 422

Depart SFO: 1334 PST Runway 1R
Arrive RNO: 1415 PST Runway 34L
Distance: 192 miles / 309 kilometers
Time enroute: 00:41

Depart RNO 1511 PST Runway 34L
Arrive DEN 1757 MST Runway 26R
Distance: 794 miles / 1278 kilometers
Time enroute: 01:46

My MarkAir ticket stuff

Due to arriving Stapleton just after sunset I went straight to my parent's house. Apparently, I didn't get a photo of EI-CIX at either SFO or DEN on flight day so below is a photo of it arriving Stapleton on February 27th.

MarkAir 737-4Y0 EI-CIX arriving Denver Stapleton 27 February 1995

Denver can have some interesting and variable weather. February in Denver can be sunny and warm (60-70F, 15-21C) or experiencing a good old blizzard. In February 1995 I experienced both. When I arrived Stapleton from SFO/RNO on the 25th the weather was fine. In fact, it was pretty nice right through the morning of the 27th...the day of Stapleton's last scheduled operations. After arrival my mom graciously let me use one of their cars so I could spend time photographing planes for the next few days.

One of my favorite spots at Stapleton was the 94th Aero Squadron restaurant. I don't remember if it was closed or even still in place during 1995 but it was nicely positioned along the east-west fence line to catch arrivals and departures on the 26s. It was this spot I first started watching planes in 1976. Unfortunately, I don't have many photos until beginning in 1979, but with all my visits to Stapleton I managed to amass a sizeable collection from various spots around the airport and from inside the concourses.

In February 1995, the physical location of the 94th Aero Squadron remained pretty much undeveloped and accessible right to the end. Photos were easy to take, especially if you had a vehicle you could use to get above the chain link fence. I used this spot to advantage for the next two days, enjoying the typical variety Denver had to offer and remembering the goodies seen here during the late 70s and through the 80s.

26 February 1995

A great day to photograph the action at Stapleton...I was there all day. Below is a selection of K64 slides I scanned recently from that penultimate day at Stapleton. Arrivals on 26L & 26R from the 94th Aero Squadron location and shown in no particular order. At the time I was using two Canon A-1 bodies: one with K64 slide file and one with print film. Some of my photos in this trip report will be scans of prints or negatives.

27 February 1995

Shortly after dawn at Denver Stapleton Int'l Airport. 27 February 1995. Print scan

Operations on the 27th were understandably curtailed, what with the imminent closure. The weather was pretty nice at dawn but as I alluded to earlier, conditions began to deteriorate as the day wore on. A convoy of airport service vehicles began moving to the new airport and would continue throughout the day. As seen from the 94th Aero Squadron, the convey seemed to be using one of the far east-west taxiways (maybe even runway 8/25?) to get to the eastern perimeter of Stapleton. From there I have no recollection what route the convoy took to get to DIA....it is probably documented somewhere.

Around 3:45pm with rapidly deteriorating conditions, United Airlines conducted their "Blue Flight" with a trio of United aircraft performing a fly-by of Stapleton Airport and flying around the city. The trio were supposed to perform a simultaneous landing at DIA on three parallel runways but somewhat ironically weather conditions and technical issues prevented it that day!

One last photo of the control tower before darkness falls on the 27th

Some American Airlines MD-80s at Concourse E on the final day of ops. Crappy weather is here!

I don't remember the exact sequence of events for the rest of my day. I probably went back to my parents’ house and took a nap! But I do know I decided to go back to Stapleton to wander around the concourses one last time and be present for the final departure: Continental Airlines flight 34 to London Gatwick.

Additionally, I also saw the final flight arrive, it was Delta's #569 from DFW operated by 727-232(A) N400DA

I had my air band scanner and a tape recorder so I recorded the final ATC conversations for posterity. Besides CO34 there was a Piper Malibu on frequency ready to depart. It's almost as if the Malibu wanted to be the last to go but that honor went to the DC-10. I transcribed the conversation and eventually posted it on my website when I started working on that in 1997. I have reproduced that conversation and excerpt from my webpage below.

With the inclement weather N12061 needed de-iced and when ready to depart the rampers braved the weather for a final send off. Scans of negatives

Excerpt from my webpage:

If you've read any of my other stories, you're aware that Denver's Stapleton International Airport was like a second home to me during my teen years (late 70s-early 80s.) Stapleton airport finally closed late in the evening of Feb 27, 1995. I was fortunate enough to be on-site for the occasion and below is a transcript of the final moments of transmissions between the tower, a Piper Malibu and Continental's DC-10-30 N12061 operating flight 34 to London Gatwick. Both aircraft apparently wanted to be the last one out. The Piper eventually gave in and departed, followed by the DC-10. Following CO's final transmission on tower, a ground ops vehicle came on the air for a moment.

TOWER: Malibu four five delta contact departure you all take care.

45D: Four five delta and uh after the last one leaves be sure and turn off the lights.

TOWER: We'll do that.

45D: Take care.

TOWER: Continental thirty-four heavy you ready?

CO 34: Uh yeah, we might need about thirty seconds on the hold out there.

TOWER: Continental thirty-four heavy runway three five left taxi into position and hold.

CO 34: Position and hold Continental thirty-four heavy. And uh Continental thirty-four heavy we're ready.

TOWER: Continental thirty-four heavy roger and uh...(unintelligible) Runway three five left cleared for takeoff wind zero-seven-zero at one-zero.

CO 34: Cleared to go Continental thirty-four heavy we will miss this place - lot of memories.

TOWER: I think we all will. Thank you.

TOWER: Continental thirty-four heavy turn right heading zero-one-zero, contact departure. You all take care and we'll see you at the new place.

CO 34: Okay, zero-one-zero...going to departure...we'll see you later now Continental thirty-four heavy.

OPS 7: Tower ops seven.

TOWER: Ops seven tower.

OPS 7: Well, this grand old airport is now officially closed. You can shut the runway lights off and we'll issue the NOTAMs.

TOWER: Thank you Ron and it's been fun.

OPS 7: Same here...

With that, Stapleton International Airport became history and the DEN code transferred to Denver International Airport. I think a few planes still needed to be ferried over to DIA but I don't specifically remember. I lingered around the airport interior for a while longer but it was getting quite late in the evening. I needed sleep for the big day tomorrow so I headed back to my parent’s place and hit the sack.

28 February 1995

The surface streets and Interstate 70 were barely affected by the overnight snowfall but I didn't even worry about making the 29-mile drive to DIA in time to witness the first scheduled arrival: a United Airlines flight from Colorado Springs. As I recall, I arrived at the airport around 9am or so. For a number of years, a toll booth controlled access to the parking lots and terminal areas. Drivers had a 30-minute grace period to drop off or pick up passengers before being charged. The toll booth was located about 4 miles from the terminal. Eventually, the toll booth was discontinued then eventually removed.

Once I parked and made it inside the airport I was impressed with the size of the 'great hall' / The Jeppesen Terminal. A press conference was taking place with then-mayor Wellington Webb speaking. During my walk around the terminal, I ran into Federico Peña...the former mayor (#41) of Denver who championed the construction of DIA. Additionally, the access road Peña Boulevard between Interstate 70 and DIA is named for him. At the time Mr. Peña was the serving U.S. Secretary of Transportation and then later the U.S. Secretary of Energy, both during the Clinton Administration. He was gracious enough to give me his autograph on a postcard.

Then-mayor Wellington Webb during the press conference. Print scan

With Concourse A serving colorful Frontier Airlines (among others) I spent a lot of time at the elevated windows near the pedestrian bridge. These windows offer a great view of the south side of Concourse A, with the resulting favorable sun angles during most of the day. I haven't been to DIA since May of 2019 (I hope to scratch that itch soon) but I have spent a LOT of time in Concourse A watching planes over the preceding years.

Concourse A also provides views of airliners taxiing under the pedestrian bridge. Just make sure you're not driving a 757! :o :o
https://www.fss.aero/accident-reports/look.php?report_key=1112

Continental Airlines 727-227(A) N12761. Formerly with PEOPLExpress and Braniff

Of course, I had to also visit Concourses B and C and ride the underground people mover. I don't remember how long I stayed at DIA that opening day but I was pleased to be there and hoping I'd be coming back many more times. Just for the record I have been back to DIA numerous times since.

I also remember visiting one of the FBOs and they had some snacks out for visitors. Peel-n-eat shrimp as I recall :bouncy:

1 March 1995

Driving to DIA on 1 March 1995

Now-closed Stapleton Int'l Airport on 1 March 1995

Spent some time watching planes at DIA...not posting any photos from the day.

2 March 1995

DEN (DIA)-RNO-SFO
MarkAir
737-4Y0 EI-CEW
Flight # 421

Depart DEN: 11:17 MST Runway 25
Arrive RNO: 12:14 PST Runway 16R
Distance: 794 miles / 1278 kilometers
Time enroute: 01:57

Depart RNO: 12:51 PST Runway 16R
Arrive SFO: 13:51 PST Runway 19L
Distance: 192 miles / 309 kilometers
Time enroute: 01:00

All trips must come to an end and this little excursion to Denver was no exception. The weather in Denver this day was much better than opening day, but there was still snow on the ground.
MarkAir provided reasonably good service this trip and I arrived SFO with no problem.

MarkAir 737-4Y0 EI-CEW arriving gate C33 for my flight to Reno and SFO

Interesting weather conditions at SFO on arrival as we landed on 19L, a runway I've arrived on only a couple of times, most recently in a Qantas 747-438ER from Sydney in Feb 2019.

Starboard side view of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge

NAS Alameda and US Navy ships. This is where Star Fleet Commanders Uhura and Chekov were hoping to find "nu-cle-ar wessels" in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

San Bruno Mountain

Over the threshold of 19L

About to touch down on 19L

International Terminal for a few more years anyway

Epilogue:

Over the years, Stapleton's land south of Interstate 70 has mostly been repurposed as residential but the control tower remains to this day. North of I-70 industrial sites occupy some of the area where parallel runways 17/35 once were.

My stepdad passed away in 1999 and my mom in 2001. My dad however just passed away in April 2020. He and I flew through Denver International Airport a few times on various United flights, including a 747-238B, 767-322ER, and 737-522s. Despite having made 118 flights to, from, and through Denver over the years, my first and so far only, international flights at Denver were in May 2019 with Icelandair DEN-KEF-LHR-KEF-DEN. May 20th and departure was delayed four hours due to a snow storm. :lol: http://www.aeromoe.com/flightlog/flt725.html

Stapleton's control tower is center stage in this photo taken in March 2014 inbound from PHX on a Frontier A320. Quebec St. runs North/South across the top of the photo. I-70 slices through the top right corner of the image. M.L.K. Jr. Boulevard bisects the center of the image from top to bottom.

Thanks for coming along with me on this trip down memory lane.

flyorski

Re: Denver. Out with the old, in with the new. Feb 1995

Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:06 pm

Thanks for the memories. Crazy to think those continental colors still live on with much of the united fleet.

aerdingus

Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:08 am

Wonderful piece of writing.

jrfspa320

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:40 am

I love these blasts from the past. The variety of aircraft back then was fantastic. Now everything looks so similar.

Hinkley

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:33 pm

That was a fantastic read. And great photos as well.

aaden

Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:31 am

Thank you for posting this! Brings back old memories.

EIBPI

Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:02 pm

Great report and photos. Thanks for sharing.

Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:54 am

Great photos and a trip down memory lane!

phatfarmlines

Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:06 pm

Thanks for this memory TR. Stapleton was a classic airport example of what happens when you don't have a proper master plan in place. It's also fun to compare the Google Earth historical image from 1993 to today and try to make out all of the different locations around the now-Stapleton community in relation to where things were as an airport. Surprised to still see the Renaissance hotel off of Quebec standing in place.

And on the note of the then-new airport, things got quiet after the CO dehubbing, and everyone thought the airport became a white elephant. If they only knew now....

SESGDL

Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:12 pm

This was amazing! Thanks for taking us on a trip back in time!

Jeremy

mchei

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:26 pm

Never been to these places. But I can say with confidence that your style of writing made me emotional. Very relatable, very personal. An exceptional trip report that I like a lot.

aeromoe
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:27 am

mchei wrote:
Never been to these places. But I can say with confidence that your style of writing made me emotional. Very relatable, very personal. An exceptional trip report that I like a lot.

Glad you enjoyed this trip report. Thanks for reading!

aeromoe
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:28 am

phatfarmlines wrote:
Thanks for this memory TR. Stapleton was a classic airport example of what happens when you don't have a proper master plan in place. It's also fun to compare the Google Earth historical image from 1993 to today and try to make out all of the different locations around the now-Stapleton community in relation to where things were as an airport. Surprised to still see the Renaissance hotel off of Quebec standing in place.

And on the note of the then-new airport, things got quiet after the CO dehubbing, and everyone thought the airport became a white elephant. If they only knew now....

Glad you enjoyed...thanks for coming along!

aeromoe
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:29 am

flyorski wrote:
Thanks for the memories. Crazy to think those continental colors still live on with much of the united fleet.

Glad you enjoyed this report!
Last edited by aeromoe on Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

aeromoe
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:29 am

aerdingus wrote:
Wonderful piece of writing.

I appreciate it...glad you enjoyed.

aeromoe
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:31 am

SESGDL wrote:
This was amazing! Thanks for taking us on a trip back in time!

Jeremy

Glad you enjoyed the report Jeremy.

aeromoe
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:40 am

flyorski wrote:

Thanks for reading. Yep, those CO colors will be around for some time yet.

aeromoe
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:58 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
I love these blasts from the past. The variety of aircraft back then was fantastic. Now everything looks so similar.

Thanks for having a look. Yes, variety was much more back then...so much better!

aeromoe
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:58 am

Hinkley wrote:
That was a fantastic read. And great photos as well.

Thanks...it's fun putting these types of reports together.

aeromoe
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:59 am

aaden wrote:
Thank you for posting this! Brings back old memories.

You're welcome....it was fun for me as well thinking back on those times.

aeromoe
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:00 am

EIBPI wrote:
Great report and photos. Thanks for sharing.

I appreciate it...thanks for having a read!

aeromoe
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:01 am

767747 wrote:
Great photos and a trip down memory lane!

Thanks...it's always fun revisiting these old memories and looking at the photos.

Newark727

Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:06 am

Thank you so much for putting all this together! Really interesting.

aeromoe
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:47 am

Newark727 wrote:
Thank you so much for putting all this together! Really interesting.

Thanks...glad you enjoyed it.

DL_Mech

Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:09 am

Looks like that ex-Ports of Call CV-990 is taking off from the adjacent runway!

http://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9248576

airbusa340

Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:15 pm

Amazing story, great pictures and lovely liveries & aircraft.
It was so nice back then when planes were good old planes with non of this environmental nonsense.

aeromoe
Topic Author

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:58 pm

DL_Mech wrote:
Looks like that ex-Ports of Call CV-990 is taking off from the adjacent runway!

http://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9248576

LOL. Yeah, not so much. I realize you're probably joking but that old 990 is out to pasture...had been out to pasture for years at that time. A few years ago I went to the street intersection in a housing subdivision where that 990 used to sit...it is easily accessible now.

B717fan

Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:49 am

What a beautiful trip report and amazing read from my dad's old stomping grounds. He used to work at the old Budget Rent-A-Car at Stapleton back in the seventies.

DL_Mech

Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:00 am

aeromoe wrote:
I realize you're probably joking but that old 990 is out to pasture...had been out to pasture for years at that time. A few years ago I went to the street intersection in a housing subdivision where that 990 used to sit...it is easily accessible now.

What’s funny about that picture is you have to look closely to see that the engines are missing. But surprisingly the radome was replaced from when the other picture was taken.

How cool would it have been if they left the 990 in the middle of the subdivision?

aeromoe
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:42 am

DL_Mech wrote:
How cool would it have been if they left the 990 in the middle of the subdivision?

It would've awesome for them to turn it into a restaurant in that neighborhood ala 'BJ Strawberries At The Convair' that once existed at Erie Air Park north of Denver. I ate in that restaurant several times as a Junior & Senior in High School in the early 80s. 40 years ago. Ugh. :boggled:

https://chrisbaer.net/mp/2008/10/20/lost-restaurants-bj-strawberrys-on-the-convair/

PSAatSAN4Ever

Wed May 12, 2021 11:39 pm

A vintage and historic trip report - thank you for sharing!

FANTASTIC job!!

aeromoe
Topic Author

Thu May 13, 2021 3:50 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

FANTASTIC job!!

Thanks PSA. I enjoyed seeing PSA 727s periodically at Stapleton for Chargers team flights.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu May 13, 2021 10:32 pm

aeromoe wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

FANTASTIC job!!

Thanks PSA. I enjoyed seeing PSA 727s periodically at Stapleton for Chargers team flights.

Until I was 33, my hometown airport was America's most tragic, Bakersfield (BFL). Pulled out of after deregulation in 1978 SO fast it was like a light switch. United, which had served BFL since the very earliest days of the airline's founding, was gone. AA began DFW service with MD80's in 1984, followed by United to SFO. During the last years of the "still competing on service"/relatively inexpensive fuel, along with tag-ons, meant BFL had a chance. But other than AA (which at the time didn't change flight numbers often) to DFW, things came and went.

And we had Denver service for one summer, in 1987. Continental came in to compete with United, and both hemorrhaged money from day one. Continental pulled out completely, and United Express lasted to SFO and LAX.

Ironically, for a while in the 2010's, BFL had only USExpress to PHX, and United Express to SFO and DEN. Yep, the Denver service nobody could find a market for became the only trans-continental choice.

I never got to fly through Stapleton, but I have been through DEN many times since.

And I never got to fly PSA, but even in Bakersfield, I knew the grinning bird I would see with the wild pink-ish colors was something special!

aeromoe
Topic Author

Fri May 14, 2021 10:32 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
aeromoe wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

FANTASTIC job!!

And I never got to fly PSA, but even in Bakersfield, I knew the grinning bird I would see with the wild pink-ish colors was something special!

Interesting bit of history....thanks for sharing. I was fortunate to be able to fly PSA a number of times. Never any 727s or L-188s but my first MD-80 flight was PSA on Christmas Day 1981 LAX-OAK. Flew onboard the first two 146s BUR-PHX-BUR soon after they started service, in Fall 1984. Flew aboard another 146, a few MD-80s, and a DC-9-32 in 1987 before PSA was gobbled up by USAir.

Spiderguy252

Mon May 31, 2021 11:00 am

Fantastic retro-TR.

Which UA livery replaced which? Did the colourful one come first, or was it Battleship grey?

theAviationGeek

Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:11 am

[*]
Spiderguy252 wrote:
Fantastic retro-TR.

Which UA livery replaced which? Did the colourful one come first, or was it Battleship grey?

The colorful livery or “Friendship Colors” were designed by Saul Bass in 1974. That livery received a minor change in 1988-1989 which saw the cheatlines aligned in a more (to me) pleasing way with the windows, the tulip on the tail re-centered, and the United titles were much larger.

This livery lasted until January 1993 when the “Battleship Livery” debuted. It would take about 7 years for the fleet to transition over fully.

Ryan

BRJ

Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:58 pm

Phenomenal pics! Love all the 727s, DC-10s and old liveries. Fantastic report! :D

Aaron747

Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:58 am

This was a real treat, especially for those of us (un)lucky enough to have only gone through the old DEN once or twice.

F9Animal

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:40 pm

Awesome memories of a time I was just joining the airline industry.