Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

shashankach
Topic Author

Polaris during the Pandemic: Delhi - San Francisco on United's 787-9 in Business *VIDEO ONLY*

Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:04 am

Flight Number: UA868
Class: Old Polaris Business
Seat: 4L
Aircraft: Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
Aircraft Registration: N26952
Aircraft Age: 6 years old
Origin: Delhi Indira Gandhi International Airport
Destination: San Francisco International Airport
Flight Time: 14hrs, 2mins
Date: March 23rd, 2021

Video Link:https://youtu.be/Y7eUsCZKpcU

Before I start, I just wanted to mention that this flight was essential as I had to travel to college to live on campus and I don't encourage non-essential travel at this time.

This trip initially started off in Bengaluru where I took Vistara's amazing A320neo business class up to Delhi to catch this United flight to San Francisco. I'll post that review soon. After arriving from BLR, I had to go to the United desk at Delhi to collect my boarding pass and head up to immigration which was right outside the domestic baggage claim. Delhi airport would normally be crowded at this time of day (12am) with flights to North America, SE Asia and Europe but it was deserted today with just a few flights to Europe and North America on the legacy EU carriers, Air India, and United.

I headed up to the plaza premium lounge at DEL and surprisingly, this was packed to the brim and practically overflowing. The lounge was nice and had good food but it was way too crowded especially during these times. Masks weren't enforced either and I didn't feel safe so I decided to head to the gate early as we would have to clear an extra security check at the gate because this was a U.S bound flight. This was basically the same security check except we had to remove our shoes.

I waited at the gate for around 45 mins and got to board in the first group along with disabled passengers, passengers with kids and status holders. When I got on the plane I sighed a little in dismay upon seeing the old Continental business seats without direct aisle access but I was still very excited to fly long-haul business for the very first time. The seat itself wasn't that bad. It had decent storage, fully flat seats and intuitive controls. The worst part about the seat was the position of the headphone jack and the universal outlet which are behind you on the right. I had to reach back there pretty often and ended up with a sore shoulder when I landed.

Soon a welcome drink was served which was a water bottle. Pushback was on time and I was lucky enough to get a beautiful engine view to watch the GENX startup. Make sure to turn the volume up for that! Taxi, takeoff and climb were routine and uneventful although we experienced some turbulence as we crossed the high-altitude Karakoram range.

Dinner was served after the turbulence subsided around 30mins after takeoff and portions were decent. There were a chicken breast and vegetarian option. I took the veg options which was paneer, palak mushrooms and saffron rice as a main with a brownie, bun and butter, salad, spiced nuts and mouth freshener. It was all served covered and on a single tray for health reasons. The food was decent. The salad was the highlight of the meal while the main course did have some burnt rice and the curries tasted decent. I expect more from a business class meal but it was good enough and wasn't that heavy which was nice considering the meal was served at 4:30 am Delhi time.

I slept right after with the amazing United bedding which was a soft pillow, memory foam pillow and a duvet all provided by Saks Fifth Avenue. This bedding cannot be complimented enough it was as good as a high-end hotel and I slept like a baby. I work up 6 hours later and the kind flight attendant served me a cold, wrapped mozzarella and cheese sandwich with coffee. The sandwich along with a curry wrap and the brownie served with dinner were the midflight snack options and they were all, honestly, a little sad. I understand health concerns but for a 14-hour flight, I think they could do better and provide some hot or more appetizing meals in business class.

I went through the IFE which was extensive and watching Tenet. I didn't understand what was going on but the effects were fun to watch. I slept again as the sun set near Alaska and woke up as we crossed into the lower 48 states near Washington. Breakfast was served at around 4:30 am Pacific time which was either a Paratha with chickpea curry or an omelette with spinach and mushrooms. I took the omelette which was actually really good and moist. The mushroom and spinach were also cooked well. However, the portions were small and I asked for ketchup, salt and pepper with my meal and I was told they were cut due to health concerns. I find this a little ridiculous as I don't see how offering condiments in business class could significantly increase disease transmission.

We landed at 5:30 am local time but we couldn't actually leave the plane until 6 because that's when SFO customs opens.

The flight was overall decent. The crew were proactive and chatty and offered good service. I was talking to them later and they expressed their frustrations with the reduced service as well. The food was decent but I think United could do a little better on that front by offering a little more quantity and some better midflight snacks. On the seat front, I think United could be more proactive in offering their new Polaris seats on their longest routes like this one to offer a better passenger experience. The best thing about this flight, apart from the bedding, is the timing and convenience. You arrive at SFO the same day early morning so you don't lose any time.

I still really enjoyed this flight because it was my first long-haul business flight and it'll always be special to me.

Thanks for reading I'd love to hear feedback in the comments.

Previous trip reports:

Ethiopian Airlines, ADD-BOM: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1459065&p=22707905#p22707905

Ethiopian Airlines, JRO-ADD: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1457941

Ethiopian Airlines, ADD-JRO: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1450615

Air India, BLR-MLE: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1444609&p=22153357#p22153357

Ethiopian Airlines, BOM-ADD: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1427719&p=21534293#p21534293

Jet Airways, SIN-BLR: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1374593&p=19838559#p19838559

Cathay Pacific 747-400, HKG-HND: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1387423&p=20201661#p20201661

Emirates, DXB-MUC: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1400239&p=20595919#p20595919

Vistara, BLR-DEL: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1411329&p=20954583#p20954583