Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Accordingt0dan
Topic Author

London to Washington on the Queen of the Skies in Club World

Wed May 05, 2021 12:47 pm

Towards the end of April I paid a visit to Kemble airfield outside Cirencester in Gloucestershire. This is where seven British Airways Boeing 747-436 aircraft were sent for retirement and scrapping/parting out. While there I realised that one of the aircraft, G-BYGB was actually an aircraft I flew on back in 2019. I took a load of photos and videos from the flight but realised I have never done a trip report on it, so here it is!

Checking in terminal five at the club will desk was painless as always and I made my way through security and headed towards the escalators that took you down to the walkways to TB if I have time I will always try and walk to T5B or T5C if I can as it stretches legs before long flight and it is generally quieter down there than in the main terminal, or on the train (I have sometimes beaten the train to TB before)

ImageAm I going the right way? by Dan

ImageThe T5A-T5B Walkway by Dan

After a short walk I was back on the escalators heading up into T5B. As most of you will know, T5B is surrounded by glass which means the views outside are amazing. I caught the B0AC liveried 747 being towed to the terminal she was going to be operating as the BA67 off to Philadelphia not long after I had left on my flight. While walking to my gate I caught sight of G-CIVF. She was delivered to BA in 1995 and I just arrived in from Houston as the BA195 I was staying at Heathrow for the day not operating any flights.

ImageBOAC Livery by Dan, on Flickr

ImageG-CIVF by Dan, on Flickr

Here is my aircraft delivered to BA in 1999, G-BYGB would be taking me across the Atlantic to Washington DC (IAD/KIAD)she had earlier operated into Heathrow as the BA174 from New York.

ImageG-BYGB by Dan, on Flickr

Flight Number: BA217 (Callsign BAW7W )
Landing at: Washington Dulles (IAD/KIAD) Runway 01R
Airline: British Airways (BAW)
Cabin: Club World, Seat 17A (Rear facing window seat)
Aircraft: Boeing 747-436
Aircraft Registration: G-BYGB
First flight - 09 January 1999
Status of Aircraft: Retired from Service 21 March 2020

Boarding with soon called and it was time to make my way down the escalator and onto the aircraft making sure to of course to tap the oneworld logo as I boarded!

I walked onboard and turned right and made my way to my seat in the rear Club world cabin. This seat is a rear facing window seat in the (now) old Club World, but it is actually one of my favourite seats! Amazing window views and I always seem to fly better backwards for some strange reason. Yes the climbing over the person next to you can be a tad annoying but the benefits definitely outweigh the negatives in my opinion! What do you think?

ImageMy seat, 17A by Dan, on Flickr

ImageClub world cabin view by Dan, on Flickr

The seat had everything I needed, a 12 inch TV that flipped out and could be angled up and down depending on how you had your seat position, the tray table was big though a little bit flappy but it did the job well. There was a USB and universal power socket, a reading light and a small compartment at the bottom for things like passport, glasses et cetera. Let's not forget also the dividing screen between the aisle and window seat!

The seat of course goes fully lie flat, not that I use it on this flight. I generally have my seat in what is called the Z position which is the perfect position for relaxing during a long flight for me.

Welcome drinks were served, and boarding was then complete.

Menus were handed out and with it in only a few moments I have picked what I was going to eat for the flight (as long as it is available of course)
ImageDrinks menu to by Dan, on Flickr

ImageMain food menu by Dan, on Flickr

ImageAfternoon tea menu by Dan, on Flickr

I checked out the in-flight entertainment system and added a couple of movies to my watchlist although I was going to be editing a video during the flight as well of my trip to the Simair 737 simulator in Gloucestershire.

ImageThe IFE by Dan, on Flickr

The views outside the window were stunning, although it is now a view we will not see again. Three jumbos lined up next to each other along with a couple of 787's and of course short-haul aircraft parked up at T5A.

ImageTerminal views by Dan, on Flickr

Pushback was on time and as we headed out to 09R I caught sight of the Air Belgium A340-313 that was doing a flight for BA due to the 787 issues. OO-ABB was operating as the BA185 to Newark. She had originally been delivered to Finnair in 2007 before heading to Belgium in 2018.

ImageBelgium A340 – 313 by Dan, on Flickr

Pulling in front of us was also a cat or a 380, A7-APH which was operating the QR10 to Doha.

ImageQatar A380 by Dan, on Flickr

As the Qatar A380 started it's takeoff roll we started moving and lined up on 09 right for takeoff and headed off into the skies. After the normal right turn we started our climb up to cruse altitude.

Full Take Off Video https://youtu.be/ij4fWqlohgE

Once up in the air I reclined my seat slightly as there was nothing else to do now except sit back relax and enjoy the flight.

ImageTime to sit back and relax by Dan, on Flickr

Not long after departure the crew came round with the first service, I selected the speedbird 100 beer (I still have a few of these purchased from brew dogs website) and this was served with some nuts, a perfect aperitif before lunch.

ImageFirst service by Dan, on Flickr

You can't beat a 747 wing view
ImageA jumbo wing view by Dan, on Flickr

For my starter I selected the Seven and Wye Scottish smoked salmon with soda bread. It was full of flavour, I always try for the salmon if I can.

ImageStarter by Dan, on Flickr

For the main course I picked the Thai red curry chicken with jasmine rice, very tasty and just the right amount of heat.

ImageMain course by Dan, on Flickr

For desert I had to try the lemon and lime slice which was just the right thing after the curry.

ImageDesert by Dan, on Flickr

After dinner had been cleared as always I took a walk to the back of the aircraft to stretch my legs and paid a visit to the club World kitchen on the way back. I may or may not be addicted to the Jo and Seph's popcorn!!!!!

ImageG-BYGB - World Traveller by Dan, on Flickr

ImageReading the club world kitchen by Dan, on Flickr

The crew came round asking if anyone wanted a drink and I chose to go with a jack and Coke to enjoy while editing my Simair 737 video.
ImageWorking (and drinking) by Dan, on Flickr

Can't beat these views

ImageInflight views by Dan, on Flickr

The crew came round and brought a top up of my drink and as they had some lemon and lime slices left I have course had to have one and another packet of popcorn

ImageIn flight snack by Dan, on Flickr

Afternoon tea was served shortly before landing and on the plate was a selection of sandwiches plus of course the scone with jam and clotted cream, and a chocolate Tiffin slice.

ImageBA Afternoon Tea by Dan, on Flickr

The approach into Dulles for me was a little bit unusual, we seem to cruise along at just over 4000 feet, travelling at 265 kn for what felt like five or 10 minutes before turning right and heading into the airport. It was only on looking back at flight radar 24 did I realise what we were doing. After a smooth landing we taxied to the stand in what felt like a quiet area of the terminal for that time of day.

Full Landing Video https://youtu.be/gdIH_6qgrT0

After saying goodbye to the crew I left the aircraft and was met with some stunning views through the window of the plane that has just brought me to Washington. Who knew that the next time I would see this aircraft after this flight would be at Kemble where it has been retired and was currently sitting with no engines.

Kemble Trip Video: https://youtu.be/QQMWAQtit48

There is a video trip report for this as well and if you would like to see that click the link below.

Trip Report Video https://youtu.be/7UtW_CKvX_s

Thank you for reading

rj777

Re: London to Washington on the Queen of the Skies in Club World

Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:00 pm

I didn't think BA flew the 744 anymore

Leej

Re: London to Washington on the Queen of the Skies in Club World

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:11 pm

rj777 wrote:
I didn't think BA flew the 744 anymore

So you didn't read the first paragraph?