Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetblue01
Topic Author

Washington DCA: Delta & American (CRJ-900, 737, A319 & E175)

Tue May 11, 2021 7:30 pm

I still have a lot of credits from flights that I had cancelled in the last year. So, I figured I would plan a day trip. I decided to go to DCA, and check out Gravelly Point Park. I had been once before 7 years ago. Back in the spring of 2014, when US Airways was still a thing. I had flown from SYR-DCA, on a US Airways Express CRJ-200. This time I was flying Delta and American. For my first flight of the day, I had an early morning flight out. I would be starting out flying to New York. This would be my 55th time flying from SYR-JFK. I got to the airport around 5:45am, 1 hour before my flight.

Delta Connection “Endeavor” 5050
Syracuse, NY (SYR) – New York, NY (JFK)
Bombardier CRJ-900
N482PX
Seat 16A
Scheduled Departure Time – 6:47am
Actual Departure Time- 7:04am
Scheduled Arrival Time – 8:15am
Actual Arrival Time- 7:54am
50 minutes

N482PX spent the night at gate 25, after arriving the night before from Detroit

16A, next to N13132 that flew in from IAD the afternoon before and did not leave until around the same time today back to Dulles

The flight was pretty full with just a few open seats, besides the aisle seats on the opposite side that were blocked. Delta was the last airline to end seat blocking, and this was my last flight on them before they start filling all their seats again. I was talking to the woman on the aisle, and she flies fairly regularly between Syracuse and New York for work. This was her first time flying in 14 months. We started pushing back at 6:45am, 2 minutes ahead of our scheduled departure time. It was a very cold late April morning. Snow was in the forecast for the day. As we were pushing back, it started to snow. Once the engines were started, we just sat there and didn’t move. The captain announced that the gate agent was having problems closing out our flight, and sending the numbers to the pilots. It started to snow a little harder, as we were sitting there. Luckily we finally started to taxi, before we would end up needing to get deiced

Cleared for takeoff

We took off right into the low clouds

It was a relatively smooth climb through the clouds

We broke out, on our way up to flight level 250. On New York flights, the flight attendants do not do any service. I spent the flight looking out the window as we flew around a lot of clouds

Starting down into JFK. It was a bumpy descent as we flew through a lot of clouds

Flying over Long Island, on a left downwind for 22L

On the ILS 22L. It would the first windy approach of the day as the wind was gusting to 23 knots, out of the south

It was a quick taxi into the gate as there were not any planes departing, so we did not have to hold short of 22R

Pulling into the gate with a DL 737-900 taking off to Aruba

N482PX was heading down to Raleigh, for its second flight of the day

I had a few hours until my next flight to Charlotte was leaving. Since I would have to transfer terminals anyway, I decided to watch some planes takeoff, before going to the American Terminal

A6-ECV on short final, after a 13 and a half overnight flight from Dubai

G-VZIG to London Heathrow. It was nice to see that there is some more international flying is coming back, including a day time LHR flight

N652JB to Cancun

My first time seeing United at JFK, since they resumed service a few weeks before. It departed the next day to San Francisco

N284UP to Louisville

N900PC to St Thomas

N706TW taking off to Las Vegas, with the St Thomas flight ahead of them

N726AV to Bogota

N482PX the plane I flew in from SYR, taking off to RDU

N579JB to Norfolk

N818DA to Phoenix

N391HA getting ready to depart for the 10 hour flight to HNL

My plane for the next flight N824NN, landing from Austin

It was a cold and windy morning in NY. The skies started to get dark, and it started to rain just as my next plane was landing. I had been waiting to see it land. Once it was on the ground, I headed back inside

American 2580
New York, NY (JFK) – Charlotte, NC (CLT)
Boeing 737-800
N824NN
Seat 23A
Scheduled Departure Time – 11:41am
Actual Departure Time- 12:00pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 1:49pm
Actual Arrival Time- 1:32pm
1 hour 32 minutes

N824NN at gate 1

Terminal 8 was pretty quiet. There were only a few flights going out

It was a completely full flight to Charlotte, and boarding started around 30 minutes before departure. It took a long time to get everyone on the plane. The door was closed exactly on time, and a few minutes later we were pushing back

23A

Taxiing to 22R

Cleared for takeoff

It was a bumpy climb out of JFK. We leveled off at 38,000ft, where we stayed for the entire flight. The flight attendants did not do any service on this flight

Cruising, as another plane passes under our wing

About 10 minutes before landing, as we were descending through 11,000ft the flaps were lowered. We flew past the airport on a right downwind

It was a bumpy approach to runway 36R. The wind was gusting to 20 knots, out of the northwest

Touchdown

We exited the runway and started to taxi towards the gate. We came to a very sudden stop, and the whole plane lurched forward before coming to a quick stop. A few seconds later, we continued the taxi towards the gate

Pulling into the gate, next to N171US that had just arrived from Phoenix

N824NN at gate B15, before its next flight to Chicago

I had around an hour, until my next flight would be boarding.

American 443
Charlotte, NC (CLT) – Washington, DC (DCA)
Airbus A319
N9026C
Seat 20A
Scheduled Departure Time – 2:53pm
Actual Departure Time- 3:04pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 4:29pm
Actual Arrival Time- 3:52pm
48 minutes

N9026C at gate A6, after coming in from Nashville

20A next to N187US getting ready to depart to Phoenix

Holding short of runway 36R, with N918US about to start its takeoff roll to Fort Meyers

Climbing out of CLT

We climbed up to 27,000ft, for the short flight up to DCA. Just like on the first two flights, no service was done. The flight attendants came through once to collect trash, as we were descending

Cruising at 27,000ft

Descending on the CAPSS3 arrival

We checked in on the Mt Vernon Visual to runway 1. The tower controller gave our pilots the wind which was 330 @ 22 gusting to 35. They asked if we wanted to circle to runway 33. They decided to circle. It would be my first time landing on runway 33

It was a hard touch down, with heavy breaking

Pulling into the gate next to N425AN, getting ready to depart to Phoenix

N9026C flew right back down to Charlotte

The day before the new concourse was opened and gate 35X was closed. So, no more taking buses to your RJ

I had about 5 hours until my last flight back to Syracuse was leaving, so I walked over to Gravelly Point Park

N425AN taking off to Phoenix

N519AE had flown down earlier that morning from Philly

N118HQ to Providence

N366NW to Atlanta

N383DN to Salt Lake City

N811NN slowing down on runway 15, after landing from Boston

The plane I had flown up from CLT, sitting at gate 39

And taking off back to Charlotte

N922VA starting the long flight across the country to Seattle

N355JB from Boston

And taking off runway 15, back up to Boston

N762US to LGA

N729SW to Dallas

N542US pushing back for the cross country flight to Los Angeles

N882NN to Miami

N343FR to Denver

N673AW landing in strong winds from Charlotte

N811NN taking off back up to Boston

America West A319 at the gate, after landing from Boston

N403YX at the gate after landing from Hartford

N542EA slowing down after landing from Lansing, Michigan

N116DU to Detroit

N7848A to Orlando

N830SY landing from Gulfport

And taking off back to Mississippi

After a while it started to get cold out, and the wind was still strong. I decided to head back in, and wait for my last flight of the day

N107US after pulling into gate 23, after arriving from Charlotte

N438YX waiting for its gate, after landing from Atlanta

N758US had arrived the day before from Orlando

American Eagle “Republic” 4736
Washington, DC (DCA) – Syracuse, NY (SYR)
Embraer E175
N108HQ
Seat 20A
Scheduled Departure Time – 9:25pm
Actual Departure Time- 9:34pm
Scheduled Arrival Time – 10:44pm
Actual Arrival Time- 10:23pm
49 minutes

N108HQ pulling into gate 40, after landing from Memphis

20A

We pushed back from the gate a few minutes ahead of our scheduled departure time. The engines were quickly started. Shortly after this, we started the quick taxi out towards runway 1

There was one plane ahead of us. Once they were in the air, we taxied onto the runway and took off

Climbing out of DCA

We climbed up to 23,000ft, where we stayed for the entire flight. They also did not do any service on this flight. It went by quick and before long we were starting down into Syracuse

Final runway 28

Pulling into the gate

N108HQ spent the night at gate 6. It flew back down to DCA, early in the morning

The quarantine requirement had recently ended. This was my first time flying back into a NY airport in over a year, where they were not soldiers waiting for you and paperwork you have to fill out. Also the flights were pretty full, so it is good to see that people are starting to travel again

IFlyVeryLittle

Re: Washington DCA: Delta & American (CRJ-900, 737, A319 & E175)

Tue May 11, 2021 8:58 pm

With what kind of lens were you shooting from Gravelly Point?

phatfarmlines

Wed May 12, 2021 4:26 pm

Thanks for the TR. Great spotting pics. Lots of changes at JFK since your last TR there, with UA now flying again and the AA/B6 codeshare reflected on the Terminal 8 FIDS. Is there a bus now running airside between Terminal 8 & Terminal 5 for the AA/B6 codesharing?

Also, thanks for sharing the new regional concourse pics at DCA. I like that they kept the same architectural styling of the 1997 terminal. I wonder what's to become of the infamous gate 35X......

FlyEndeavorAir

Sat May 15, 2021 10:52 pm

Great report, you flew on one of our newer birds, N482PX down to JFK!

jetblue01
Topic Author

Sun May 16, 2021 3:38 am

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
With what kind of lens were you shooting from Gravelly Point?

I think I just used my Canon point and shoot. Nothing special at all. It was hard to get decent pictures, because it was super windy that day

jetblue01
Topic Author

Sun May 16, 2021 3:49 am

phatfarmlines wrote:
Thanks for the TR. Great spotting pics. Lots of changes at JFK since your last TR there, with UA now flying again and the AA/B6 codeshare reflected on the Terminal 8 FIDS. Is there a bus now running airside between Terminal 8 & Terminal 5 for the AA/B6 codesharing?

Also, thanks for sharing the new regional concourse pics at DCA. I like that they kept the same architectural styling of the 1997 terminal. I wonder what's to become of the infamous gate 35X......

It was good to see UA back at JFK. It was weird seeing the 767. I was always used to the 757s they used to send to JFK. I don't think there was any type of shuttle between the two Terminals. The AA terminal was pretty dead. Just a few flights. A lot of the stores were closed, and the line at security was pretty minimal. I'm sure T5 was a lot busier. As for DCA, it was kind of cool to see how it looked so similar.

jetblue01
Topic Author

Sun May 16, 2021 3:51 am

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

I also have flown N478PX on a flight from DTW-SYR, around a year ago. 478 was actually supposed to be operating this flight also, but they switched it to 482. Do you work for Endeavor?

FlyEndeavorAir

Sun May 16, 2021 11:24 pm

jetblue01 wrote:
FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

I also have flown N478PX on a flight from DTW-SYR, around a year ago. 478 was actually supposed to be operating this flight also, but they switched it to 482. Do you work for Endeavor?

Yup! Work at Endeavor, provided the WIFI and parts for both of those planes after they were delivered.

jetblue01
Topic Author

Wed May 19, 2021 12:51 am

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:
jetblue01 wrote:
FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

Yup! Work at Endeavor, provided the WIFI and parts for both of those planes after they were delivered.

Very nice. I'm hoping to start at a regional as a pilot, by the end of the year. I'm considering Endeavor.

MarcoPoloWorld

Wed May 19, 2021 4:31 am

Nice trip report!... I guess you aren't really into the terminal and/or check-in experiences eh? :)

That said, thank you for sharing your incredible day trip experiences, and good luck on your pilot "endeavors", pun intended. :airplane:

maps4ltd

Wed May 19, 2021 8:41 pm

Great report! I always enjoy reading yours. Did you take any pictures from inside the planes themselves?

jetblue01
Topic Author

Sun May 30, 2021 9:20 pm

MarcoPoloWorld wrote:
Nice trip report!... I guess you aren't really into the terminal and/or check-in experiences eh? :)

That said, thank you for sharing your incredible day trip experiences, and good luck on your pilot "endeavors", pun intended. :airplane:

I have been to these airports several times before, so I didn't include anything about the check in

jetblue01
Topic Author

Sun May 30, 2021 9:30 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Great report! I always enjoy reading yours. Did you take any pictures from inside the planes themselves?

Thank You for reading it. I have taken interior pictures of these planes I have been on before. I didn't include them in this one, because I have in others.