Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jrfspa320
Topic Author

Flying on an old dutch lady into Australia's North West

Sat May 15, 2021 6:40 am

Hello, normally I don’t write up domestic trip reports but as I have been flying significantly less since covid, the times when I do fly has been cherished and with very few Fokker 100s around (outside of Western Australia) I thought I would write this up and I think this is a new route for this forum.
I was desperate for a trip and with options being limited to domestic we settled on a trip up to Karijini National Park which is in Australia’s north -west interior. I had been very briefly before but wanted to go back. Driving would have been a 2 day trip from Perth (1,400kms) and really need a 4WD anyway so id father fly and hire a car. Normally flights up to the Pilbara are very expensive but Qantas had a sale on so wasn’t too bad, around $450 return. Paraburdoo is the nearest airport to the national park, and is privately owned by Rio Tinto for their nearby mining operations. Unlike the vast majority of privately owned mining airstrips PBO is actually bookable with RPT flights with Qantas (Network Aviation) operating 4 X daily from Perth with Fokker 100s. Virgin Australia used to fly this route but pulled out and now only operate occasional FIFO charters.
Western Australia is now the home of Fokker 100s with more based in Perth than anywhere else in the world. They are particularly suited to mining operations with low utilization and having good performance out of the rugged Hot and High airports (By Australian standards) of the Pilbara.

Friday 7 May 2021
QF`1620 VH-NHQ (27 Years old, Ex AA and Avianca)
Perth - Paraburdoo
Scheduled 13:30 – 15:15 (Actual: 13:45 – 15:13)

We ubered to the airport arriving at Perth’s terminal 4 around an hour before departure. Check in and security was quick and easy as usual, dropping our tent at the outsize baggage drop. We made our way to the Qantas Business lounge as I have FF status and had a coffee and a quick bite before the flight. Sadly the offerings are still not back to pre covid standards and the lounge is nothing to get too excited about.

ImageIMG_0496 by Jono, on Flickr
Quick Bite in the Business Lounge.

ImageIMG_0445 by Jono, on Flickr
A QantasLink A320, also heading out to the Pilbara

Boarding was called 20minutes before departure and we made our way to Gate 18 located next door in Terminal 3 (although its basically the same one big terminal). Qantas operations in the west are very different to what is seen on the east coast with Fokker 100s, Airbus A320s and A330s ruling the roost. The F100s and A320s are operated by Network Aviation, a subsidiary of Qantas.

ImageIMG_0446 by Jono, on Flickr
Down the jetbridge

ImageIMG_0447 by Jono, on Flickr
View of the F100 from the jetbridge.

We boarded and took our seats in row 10 on the right hand side, just forward of the wing. This Friday afternoon flight was unsurprisingly fairly lightly loaded for the flight up, probably only around 40% full.

ImageIMG_0448 by Jono, on Flickr
View from 10F with a 738 next door.

ImageIMG_0450 by Jono, on Flickr
Leather seats and old school PSUs. Can just see into the cockpit.

ImageIMG_0453 by Jono, on Flickr
The legroom is a fantastic with 34” pitch on the F100s – the best of any Qantas economy – in order to not exceed 100 seats.

ImageIMG_0454 by Jono, on Flickr
Arty view of an A320 out the left side.

ImageIMG_0455 by Jono, on Flickr
The fokker wing view and an A330-300 taxiing for departure to either Sydney or Melbourne.
The door was closed on time and we pushed back and taxied for departure. Runway 24 was in use which is the shorter crosswind runway and makes for great view after departure.

ImageIMG_0456 by Jono, on Flickr
Air New Zealand 787-9 just landed from Auckland.

ImageIMG_0457 by Jono, on Flickr
Fokker farm.

ImageIMG_0458 by Jono, on Flickr
An Alliance F100 and Qantas A320 waiting for departure.

Our turn for departure soon came and we made a sprightly take off, those RR Tay 650s still pack a punch. We make our way over the city and the Swan River before turning north after crossing the coast.

ImageIMG_0498 by Jono, on Flickr
View of the Qantas domestic terminal.

ImageIMG_0499 by Jono, on Flickr
Swan River

ImageIMG_0502 by Jono, on Flickr
The Perth Stadium and new footbridge (which you can climb – would recommend)

ImageIMG_0503 by Jono, on Flickr
Flying past the CBD with the WACA in the foreground and with an event on in Langley Park – which used to be a small airstrip.

ImageIMG_0504 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0505 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0506 by Jono, on Flickr
The dark patch is Kings Park.

ImageIMG_0507 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0511 by Jono, on Flickr
Basic service of juice, water and cheese and crackers.

ImageIMG_0513 by Jono, on Flickr

The flight time was around 1.30 minutes and there is no IFE or streaming on these old birds, with the landscape providing the entertainment. The interior of WA is very arid and sparsely populated. The service was fairly basic for the lunch time service with cold drinks and cheese and crackers. The flight was fairly smooth with some minor niggles around half way but fantastic flying weather.
ImageIMG_0516 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0517 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0519 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0521 by Jono, on Flickr

Soon enough we commenced our decent and the views of the Hammersley ranges was great with views of the mines sites as we got lower.

ImageIMG_0525 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0526 by Jono, on Flickr
Turning onto final approach, with the runway visible in the top left of the photo and the town of Paraburdoo just below that.

ImageIMG_0527 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0528 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0531 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0531 by Jono, on Flickr

After coming to a standstill at the “Terminal” stairs were pulled up and we made our way off. The terminal is essentially a collection of demountable cabins (with plenty of asbestos) and has to be one of the most basic set ups in the country. We de-planned into the pleasant 28 degrees and waited for the bags to be pulled off. There is no arrivals belt but the carts are simply pulled over to collect your bags off. The vast majority of passengers were mine workers and pilled onto buses. There were a few locals / tourists.

ImageIMG_0534 by Jono, on Flickr
The Paraburdoo “Terminal”.

ImageIMG_0535 by Jono, on Flickr
While waiting for the bags.

ImageIMG_0536 by Jono, on Flickr
One of the more unique baggage belts.

ImageIMG_1199 by Jono, on Flickr
Check in area.

ImageIMG_1201 by Jono, on Flickr
Outdoor waiting area with small kiosk.

We had a fantastic few days around the national parks, hiking, swimming, jumping in swimming holes. Im probably biased but this is one of my favorite NPs in the country and is “real country” I would certainly recommend.

Tuesday 11 May 2021
QF1623 VH-HNZ (27 Years old, EX AA and Austrian Airlines)
Paraburdoo - Perth
Scheduled 17:00 – 18:45 (Actual17:05- 18:35)
We arrived for the return flight around 45 mins before departure – there is certainly no point in arriving early here. All check in here is manual with two desks in use for the service. Took around 5 - 10 minutes to get to the front but the guy was very friendly asking us about our trip.

ImageIMG_1204 by Jono, on Flickr
The very basic and small check in area.
ImageIMG_1205 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1207 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1208 by Jono, on Flickr
Boarding the F100 with sun sinking lower

ImageIMG_1210 by Jono, on Flickr
There is something so graceful about T-Tails
ImageIMG_1211 by Jono, on Flickr

This aircraft was slightly newer than the outbound and had previously served with Austrian where I think they had upgraded the interior.
ImageIMG_1211 by Jono, on Flickr
The old Austrian Seats.

For the return we were sat on the left just after the wing in row 16. This aircraft had a nicer interior and was more modern with newer PSUs.
ImageIMG_1214 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1215 by Jono, on Flickr
This version is known internally as a F100 T

ImageIMG_1217 by Jono, on Flickr
Newer interior with LED sidewall lights, newer PSU and baggage lockers.
This Tuesday evening flight was nearly full with a load of 95%.

ImageIMG_1218 by Jono, on Flickr
Flaps set for take off
ImageIMG_1219 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1220 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1221 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1222 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1223 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1224 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1225 by Jono, on Flickr
The service on the return was fantastic for such a short flight, with a small hot pie (seconds were offered). Free alcohol was also served with plenty of refills offered. The beer ran out very quickly however and only wine was left. On this short flight we ended up having 1 beer and 2 wines each.

The sunset views were fantastic as we headed south on this old bird.

ImageIMG_1227 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1230 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1233 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1237 by Jono, on Flickr

After a pleasant flight the lights of Perth came into view and we arrived into Perth just ahead of schedule.

ImageIMG_1242 by Jono, on Flickr
Flaps 42 for landing.

ImageIMG_1243 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1245 by Jono, on Flickr
Landing lights on the wing.

ImageIMG_1248 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1251 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1253 by Jono, on Flickr

In conclusion, the flights were pretty good with F100s much more interesting than A320s or 737s. Im sure they will by plying the skies around Western Australia for many years to come.

Some photos of the trip if interested:
ImageDMFG2586 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1070 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2111 by Jono, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0959 by Jono, on Flickr

Ryan h

Re: Flying on an old dutch lady into Australia's North West

Sat May 15, 2021 7:31 am

Great photos and report of an rarely reported route.

ClassicLover

Tue May 18, 2021 9:14 am

Fantastic report all round, thanks for that. I wasn't aware there were two different "versions" of the Fokker 100 in service. I'd love to get on board one, as my only Fokker experience was an F28-4000 SYD-MCY-SYD on my first ever flights.

Awesome pictures too, and of your trip. Beautiful country up that way! Really glad you shared this one. Nice work!

jrfspa320
Topic Author

Sun May 23, 2021 10:09 am

Ryan h wrote:
Great photos and report of an rarely reported route.

Thank you for commenting!

jrfspa320
Topic Author

Sun May 23, 2021 10:11 am

ClassicLover wrote:
Fantastic report all round, thanks for that. I wasn't aware there were two different "versions" of the Fokker 100 in service. I'd love to get on board one, as my only Fokker experience was an F28-4000 SYD-MCY-SYD on my first ever flights.

Awesome pictures too, and of your trip. Beautiful country up that way! Really glad you shared this one. Nice work!

The "T" is only an internal designation at QF for a different cabin, the physical aspects are all the same. The fokkers sure have a long history in Oz.

Thank you for commenting - it sure is, Karijini is a must!

PHAVR

Thu May 27, 2021 7:55 pm

Thanks for this interesting report on that off-the-beaten path routing. Great to see the Fokker 100s filling this niche market in Oz. Miss seeing and flying them in Europe. Interesting that the F27 was so successful in Australia many moons ago but no brand new F100s/F70s were ever ordered in Australia. And yet many retired F100s and a few F70s went Down Under in the last decade. Hope they continue to fly for many years to come!

jrfspa320
Topic Author

Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:16 am

PHAVR wrote:
Thanks for this interesting report on that off-the-beaten path routing. Great to see the Fokker 100s filling this niche market in Oz. Miss seeing and flying them in Europe. Interesting that the F27 was so successful in Australia many moons ago but no brand new F100s/F70s were ever ordered in Australia. And yet many retired F100s and a few F70s went Down Under in the last decade. Hope they continue to fly for many years to come!

Thank you for commenting! Yes very true how that none were ordered now - the 717 has also had similar success. I think they will be flying for a long time to come, they were very well built - the only issue will be spare parts and engine support

lychemsa

Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:30 pm

No crocodiles in that pool?

Golf7GTI

Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:00 am

Great pictures of the Fokker. End of an era unfortunately. Last Fokkers are flying around in Australia and SE-Asia. Extinct in the rest of the world.

jrfspa320
Topic Author

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:57 am

lychemsa wrote:
No crocodiles in that pool?

Thankfully not - too far inland :)

jrfspa320
Topic Author

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:58 am

Golf7GTI wrote:
Great pictures of the Fokker. End of an era unfortunately. Last Fokkers are flying around in Australia and SE-Asia. Extinct in the rest of the world.

Thanks for reading / commenting. Indeed it seems the end wont be too far away. I hope they'll do a retirement flight.

Kent350787

Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:35 am

Thanks for the report - it was great to see the 'rootail oddballs we don't see over east. We do have Fokkers, but only Alliance colours.

jrfspa320
Topic Author

Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:25 am

Kent350787 wrote:
Thanks for the report - it was great to see the 'rootail oddballs we don't see over east. We do have Fokkers, but only Alliance colours.

Thanks for commenting! Yes the oddballs are a nice catch. I do think the F100 is such a beautiful aircraft.

Kent350787

Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:55 pm

jrfspa320 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

Thanks for commenting! Yes the oddballs are a nice catch. I do think the F100 is such a beautiful aircraft.

True. It's a pity Rekkof never got the F130 off the ground. The F70 looks stumpy in comparison to the F100.

Vaguely related, Alliance seem to be doing weekly vircuits out of BNE to keep the Queen ready for service (F70 VH-KBX)

345tas

Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:41 am

Great report, looks like an amazing place for a holiday.

Good to see the luggage trailer set up. It was like that in Launceston up until maybe 2006/7ish and I miss the fun of everyone scrambling over the trailers to get their bags.

jrfspa320
Topic Author

Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:11 am

345tas wrote:
Great report, looks like an amazing place for a holiday.

Good to see the luggage trailer set up. It was like that in Launceston up until maybe 2006/7ish and I miss the fun of everyone scrambling over the trailers to get their bags.

Thanks for commenting! Ah didnt know that - the weather in LST wouldnt be as kind waiting for the bags. Certainly solves the problem of the baggage belt breaking down!

AJ

Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:13 am

jrfspa320 wrote:
The "T" is only an internal designation at QF for a different cabin, the physical aspects are all the same. The fokkers sure have a long history in Oz.

Amazing photos!

Out of interest there are three versions of the Network F100, the G (Germania), the A (Avianca) and the T (Tyrolean). If you have a look at the seat maps on the Qantas website you can see the interior differences. There are a few technical differences as well.

jrfspa320
Topic Author

Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:35 am

AJ wrote:
jrfspa320 wrote:

Amazing photos!

Out of interest there are three versions of the Network F100, the G (Germania), the A (Avianca) and the T (Tyrolean). If you have a look at the seat maps on the Qantas website you can see the interior differences. There are a few technical differences as well.

Thanks! Ahh thats interesting - i did wonder what the letters stood for!! The ex Austrian / Tyrolean frames are in great condition - they certainly seemed to have looked after them much better that the others.