Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N776AU
Topic Author

Checking out Breeze: ATL-TPA-SDF-ATL

Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:17 pm

Another week, and another quick trip. This big circle was done on Thursday June 17, with the mission to fly Breeze Airways for the first time. Since they don’t come anywhere near Atlanta, I had to travel elsewhere. I tried quite a few combinations of cities before finding a suitable schedule and decent price. I did manage to score a new airport with Louisville, but that wasn’t my MO for this trip. It just worked out that way. I could have scheduled it a little tighter on my layovers, but since I was changing airlines at both stops, l didn’t dare take that risk.

My flight to Tampa was kind of early, leaving just past 8am. When I got to the airport, I saw my departure gate was F1. This would be my first departure from concourse F (except that it wouldn’t be). Things are definitely getting back to normal. I waited for quite a while at TSA, even with Precheck.
N6702 had arrived on a redeye from Quito, and was supposed to operate our flight this morning. Almost as soon as I snapped this awful photo and sat down, the gate agents came on and announced there would be a delay for maintenance (what is it with me and maintenance issues?). I don’t know what the issue was, but they pretty quickly said they were looking for a new aircraft. My watching of FlightAware and FlightRadar24 like a hawk showed me the new aircraft before they announced it, but I waited just to make 100% sure.

We all shuffled off to gate E18 after it was all said and done.
Waiting for us was N556NW, which I had watched land from Savannah while sitting at concourse F. I was crossing my fingers for some crazy equipment swap to a spare A350 or something, but I guess I’d settle for the 757. Actually, this would be my first 757 flight since September 2019, and a small part of my booking of this flight was for that very reason.

Delta Air Lines Flight 1152
ATL-TPA
Depart ATL - 8:18am (was actually 8:50)
Arrive TPA - 9:41am (was actually 10:00)
Boeing 757-200
N556NW

All things considered, getting out at 8:50 wasn’t too bad. I wasn’t worried because, again, that scheduling slack I built in.
I was in 25A. I kind of figured 26L was going to be our departure point, despite that we were going south, but it was 27R.
N303DN was going to LGA just like it did with me on board 8 days prior.
N6702 getting towed away. It didn’t fly again at all this day.
Speaking of aircraft that have carried my happy ass places, N854NW was going to Salt Lake City after a redeye from Lagos.
https://youtu.be/l5qwoniGkj8
Video of takeoff. 757s always please. I’ll tell you, this camera picks up every flaw in aircraft windows.
Turning south. Hazy in Atlanta today.
Again, breakfast of champions.
People had their window open, much to my surprise
Things started clouding up the closer we got to Tampa.
https://youtu.be/Ab6TCSgjqjU
Landing one runway 19R was pure butter.
Not something I see too often at home.
N874DN was going to DTW.
Since I wasn’t in a hurry, I waited until a natural break in the crush of people getting off.
N556NW was going back to Atlanta. My next flight wasn’t for 3.5 hours, so I didn’t rush through anything.
Another aircraft that has blasted me through the air like a butterfly on cocaine. N337NW took me BOI-SLC ages ago. Today it was flying TPA-BOS.
Nice views of runway 19R from Delta’s airside, and a preview of things to come. N192BZ was going to Charleston after taking most of the week off.

I ultimately took the train back to the main terminal, and was hopeful to go to airside F since there’s a restaurant on Priority Pass, and I see these new automated gates to let you on the train. Seems easy enough, one scan of the boarding pass, and you’re through. Except, these gates are also airside police, and it wouldn’t let me through with my Breeze boarding pass. I understand that this is probably set up because people are too stupid to figure out where to go, but it was a small headache for me. Seemed like too that lots of people were fumbling through it. I didn’t find the machines particularly difficult, but one has to remember that 50% of the population is of below average intelligence. There was nothing stopping me from getting on the train from the exit side, but I figured it best to not end up in jail today.

I finally found someone who informed me of the existence of a transit pass, which they can print to grand you access to the train. Seems like too many hoops to jump through to me, but if you have time and it’s free food vs paying for food, that’s a no brainer.
Special? No, but for the annual fee I pay for the credit card that grants me Priority Pass, I’ll take it.
Not much happening at airside F except this A320 going to DFW.

After lunch I went o airside C for my own flight, even though it was a ways out still.
N193BZ was my aircraft today. It was odd. Usually FlightAware has all the information, but there was absolutely nothing on this flight, or aircraft, or anything.

Breeze Airways Flight 104
TPA-SDF
Depart TPA - 1:50pm (was actually 2:08)
Arrive SDF - 3:50pm (was actually 4:06)
Embraer 195
N193BZ

New aircraft type and new airport for me. We boarded on time, but were delayed due to a faulty seat.
I was in 17F, and as it turned out, there was nobody sitting anywhere near me.
By the time we pushed, it was looking like the sky was about to fire up a thunderstorm.
N7822A had been in Tampa since June 14, and didn’t leave again until June 23. Long time.
https://youtu.be/Suqv8cnRAuI
Takeoff from runway 19R was very cool with the incoming weather.
In and out of clouds and weather.
Clear day once we got a little bit north.
Snack selection wasn’t too bad.
I figured we would pass over Atlanta, and I was right. I could even see my house.
There wasn’t much to see after that, so I just relaxed and enjoyed being disconnected for a couple hours.
Approach wasn’t particularly scenic, but still nice.
https://youtu.be/cB_ZxZztoE8
Landing on runway 17L.
I think this A320 was going to DFW, but I might be wrong.
Everyone’s favorite flying lemon loading up for LAX.
We arrived at gate B6 and had an easy off.
N193BZ was going to Charleston next.

My next flight was leaving from gate A5, which wasn’t exactly super far away.
Images
N970AT was flying me today. No surprise, it was coming in from Atlanta.

Delta Air Lines Flight 2602
SDF-ATL
Depart SDF - 6:10pm (was actually 6:01)
Arrive ATL - 7:41pm (was actually 7:05)
Boeing 717-200
N970AT

I was in 18A, and by some stroke of luck, had an open seat next to me. It may well have been the only open seat on the aircraft. We were asked in there full otherwise.
https://youtu.be/vyAOzc8jdss
Takeoff was a turn and burn, and true to form like the little rocket ship these aircraft are.
Not much to see leaving Kentucky.
Again, packed in full. Good to see.
Nashville Super Speedway. Appropriate given that Nascar was visiting there that upcoming weekend.

Outside of that there wasn’t a whole lot to see. There wasn’t even cabin service.
Over the western part of Metro Atlanta somewhere.
https://youtu.be/Z9DgrmYFxrE
Landing on runway 8L. The airport had reversed since I was here last.
I don’t know what this Spirit A321 was doing over this directions.
In to gate C43 amend all the other 717s. N929AT next to us was going to ATW. Per my usual, since Atlanta’s home, I waited for everyone else to get off (and also traffic on 285 was bad, so it didn’t hurt to wait for that to clear).
N970AT was going to Traverse City, Michigan after me. I must admit, I’ve never head of that city until now.
Again, since I wasn’t in a hurry. I was walked back to the terminal and stopped at concourse A along the way to grab a quick photo of N556NW, the same aircraft where my day started. After returning form Tampa it did an out and back to Fort Lauderdale, and was waiting to go to SNA at this point.

Fun day. Nice to check out Breeze. I hope they’ll make it somewhere near Atlanta here soon. I do have one more trip coming before the summer is out. Nice to make up for the lack of flights in 2020. Thanks for reading :wave:

debonair

Re: Checking out Breeze: ATL-TPA-SDF-ATL

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:11 am

Hi, is the woman standing in the exit row on Breeze a passenger or crew member?! Breeze looks very disappointing to me, I would have expected more... True, the legroom is great, but knowing Neeleman other business, its seems very bland, boring. No mood lightning, no IFE and a snack selection you will find with most others US airlines. Nothing stands out, nothing unique, nothing quirky - sure it belongs to the same guy who invented jetblue?! :scratchchin:

jeffrey1970

Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:16 am

debonair wrote:
Hi, is the woman standing in the exit row on Breeze a passenger or crew member?! Breeze looks very disappointing to me, I would have expected more... True, the legroom is great, but knowing Neeleman other business, its seems very bland, boring. No mood lightning, no IFE and a snack selection you will find with most others US airlines. Nothing stands out, nothing unique, nothing quirky - sure it belongs to the same guy who invented jetblue?! :scratchchin:

The future of IFE on airplanes is not good.

Jerseyguy

Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:12 am

>but one has to remember that 50% of the population is of below average intelligence
I work retail as a second job, your being generous LOL

FlyEndeavorAir

Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:40 am

debonair wrote:

This isn't their final product, this is more their "Beta testing" product. When they get their A220's there will be Wifi, power, streaming entertainment, and more snack/drink choices.